REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Yeah. Problem is that’s not Power 5 conference if constructed as you laid out. If the most high profile team in your conference I’m Oklahoma State, Iowa State or Houston, you’re not a Power 5 conference. That’s why the Big 12 is out of gas.
I get your point, but we’ll see. Realignment is far from over. I suspect the notion of a Power 5 and a Group of 5 may well be obsolete.

And the fourth program mentioned is Memphis.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami is a great addition to any conference (including the SEC) for four primary reasons:

1) The U has been involved in many of the highest-rated televised games in CFB history. I haven't looked at the highest rated televised games for about a decade but last time I checked, Miami was involved in something like 5 of the 10 highest TV ratings of all time for CFB (which is insanely great). Love 'em or hate 'em, CFB fans watch Miami. We also had the highest-rated of all of the 30 for 30 ESPN shows. We have a massive global fan base (much larger than most people realize). I've seen people rocking Miami gear in airports in places like Bali, Dubai and London. I rarely see that type of support globally for any other team. If you want a fat TV contract, add dem Canes!

2) We dominated CFB for much of the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s, and the 00s weren't bad either. With all those titles, draft picks and HOF CFB and NFL players, we're unquestionably one of the marquee names.

3) Strong academics.

4) Located in the best recruiting area in the country.

On the PGA Tour, no-one moved the needle on TV ratings anywhere close to the Tiger Woods effect. In CFB, I would argue that's Miami. Until the last few years, Alabama was actually a boring team to watch as they were big on the run game, didn't air it out that much & were strong on defense. Even more importantly, they don't play with the flair, passion & raw emotion of the great Miami teams. Name one other CFB team (other than perhaps a strong ND team) that people nationally might tune in to watch in big numbers.

The ACC should ND and one other marquee team to compete with the SEC.

Make no mistake, unless a radical change occurs, FSU and Clemson as of yesterday served notice to ACC, "we are leaving well before 2036. See you in court for your failure of fudiciary duty if you want to make our divorce ugly..."

here is a long shot radical idea... Miami needs Bezos as a patron Saint... not as crazy if you think about it (ok, bat shït crazy... I get it)...
Not crazy at all. Amazon has a deal with the NFL for streaming Thursday night games, and has MLB deals. I could see them expanding their sports presence as realignment continues to evolve. Bezos is more interested private space travel though, so whomever is running Amazon would need to make that decision.

I’m interested in seeing how CBS and FOX respond.

Okay. For all of you who assume the conferences need to grow to keep up, and suggest s***** schools with small regional followings like Cincinnati, TCU or Central Florida, going to try to explain something.

Let's say the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma brings in 1 billion dollars. That's probably not a bad guess. That's $62 million per school, including some less than stellar markets and programs like Mississippi State, Arkansas, South Carolina, Vanderbilt etc. How many schools do you think they can add that will pay for themselves? Do you think adding Florida State is going to bring in enough money to grow the pie so that every school then makes more than 62 million each? Maybe but I doubt it. At this point, once the SEC was at 14, the number of schools that would grow the pie large enough to make this worthwhile was probably limited to Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame. Now if they got totally mercenary and found a way to pay off Vanderbilt or Mississippi State, sure they would go after Clemson and Florida State. Otherwise, the math makes much more sense to have four big conferences of 14 to 16 teams each.

Advertisement
I guess im the only one who is not crying over this. Big teams moving into conferences changes the pecking order in thay conference. At the end of the day, these schools can change conferences but they cant change where they are located...and neither can we, which is where the most talented recruits are. Lets also not forget the ACC is really strong in Basketball with the biggest rivalry. We need to fix our on the field product and the rest will be sorted. We are Miami not some hanger on like VT.

Okay. For all of you who assume the conferences need to grow to keep up, and suggest s***** schools with small regional followings like Cincinnati, TCU or Central Florida, going to try to explain something.

Let's say the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma brings in 1 billion dollars. That's probably not a bad guess. That's $62 million per school, including some less than stellar markets and programs like Mississippi State, Arkansas, South Carolina, Vanderbilt etc. How many schools do you think they can add that will pay for themselves? Do you think adding Florida State is going to bring in enough money to grow the pie so that every school then makes more than 62 million each? Maybe but I doubt it. At this point, once the SEC was at 14, the number of schools that would grow the pie large enough to make this worthwhile was probably limited to Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame. Now if they got totally mercenary and found a way to pay off Vanderbilt or Mississippi State, sure they would go after Clemson and Florida State. Otherwise, the math makes much more sense to have four big conferences of 14 to 16 teams each.
According to SEC's media deal with ESPN, for every "A List" school (as they have mutually determined) they add to SEC, that school is instantly eligible for full pro rata payout like the rest. That key point is what makes them so powerful at present (and near future).

And again, guess who has never been mentioned on their A target list...

I guess im the only one who is not crying over this. Big teams moving into conferences changes the pecking order in thay conference. At the end of the day, these schools can change conferences but they cant change where they are located...and neither can we, which is where the most talented recruits are. Lets also not forget the ACC is really strong in Basketball with the biggest rivalry. We need to fix our on the field product and the rest will be sorted. We are Miami not some hanger on like VT.
SEC is going to crush ACC in basketball powerhouse programs. Crush.

There are now several regional areas whose weather + demographics + population growth are already equal to, and will surpass SoFL.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Now, Miami can see a way to regain relevancy, but it is going to take competent and bold action from the AD and ACC Commish.

I guess hoping for 1 of 2 will have to do.

Advertisement
According to SEC's media deal with ESPN, for every "A List" school (as they have mutually determined) they add to SEC, that school is instantly eligible for full pro rata payout like the rest. That key point is what makes them so powerful at present (and near future).

And again, guess who has never been mentioned on their A target list...
Pretty short list

Miami is a great addition to any conference (including the SEC) for four primary reasons:

1) The U has been involved in many of the highest-rated televised games in CFB history. I haven't looked at the highest rated televised games for about a decade but last time I checked, Miami was involved in something like 5 of the 10 highest TV ratings of all time for CFB (which is insanely great). Love 'em or hate 'em, CFB fans watch Miami. We also had the highest-rated of all of the 30 for 30 ESPN shows. We have a massive global fan base (much larger than most people realize). I've seen people rocking Miami gear in airports in places like Bali, Dubai and London. I rarely see that type of support globally for any other team. If you want a fat TV contract, add dem Canes!

2) We dominated CFB for much of the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s, and the 00s weren't bad either. With all those titles, draft picks and HOF CFB and NFL players, we're unquestionably one of the marquee names.

3) Strong academics.

4) Located in the best recruiting area in the country.

On the PGA Tour, no-one moved the needle on TV ratings anywhere close to the Tiger Woods effect. In CFB, I would argue that's Miami. Until the last few years, Alabama was actually a boring team to watch as they were big on the run game, didn't air it out that much & were strong on defense. Even more importantly, they don't play with the flair, passion & raw emotion of the great Miami teams. Name one other CFB team (other than perhaps a strong ND team) that people nationally might tune in to watch in big numbers.

The ACC should ND and one other marquee team to compete with the SEC.
I think PSU would be a good fit as the other team along with ND with Pitt as a natural rival and of course UM.

Sorry, but no. Take a look at the merchandise sold. Take a look at ticket sales. We need to stop chest thumping about our National Titles and look at why SEC even took Texas. This is about money. If it were about titles and success, they would have taken OU alone and told Texas to kick rocks.
When was the last time Michigan won a title in anything? If you think any conference would take Miami over Michigan, then you have absolutely no idea what these conferences are looking for.
I said Miami is a bigger brand than FSU and Clemson, where did i say they were bigger than Michigan? As mediocre as Michigan has been the last handful of years, they're still considered a blueblood.

If Miami can put together strong seasons and re-raise the profile of the football program believe 100% they're a more attractive program than FSU or Clemson. Miami is **** near ALWAYS a high ratings draw when the team is doing well.

Advertisement
I said Miami is a bigger brand than FSU and Clemson, where did i say they were bigger than Michigan? As mediocre as Michigan has been the last handful of years, they're still considered a blueblood.

If Miami can put together strong seasons and re-raise the profile of the football program believe 100% they're a more attractive program than FSU or Clemson. Miami is **** near ALWAYS a high ratings draw when the team is doing well.
High television draw doesn't mean more donations just saying.

Now look at the merch sales of FSU and Clemson compared to Miami. Even months before title number 5, I saw Gator and Nole coolers at a nearby drugstore within a mile of campus. Not a U to be seen.

Now look at the merch sales of FSU and Clemson compared to Miami. Even months before title number 5, I saw Gator and Nole coolers at a nearby drugstore within a mile of campus. Not a U to be seen.
Those are the bigger state schools so of course you'll see more of their merchandise in stores in and around FL (especially Central FL and the panhandle) but make no mistake about it, when Miami is on top, they're much more of a national brand than either of those two.

Advertisement
Those are the bigger state schools so of course you'll see more of their merchandise in stores in and around FL (especially Central FL and the panhandle) but make no mistake about it, when Miami is on top, they're much more of a national brand than either of those two.
National brand is important. That's what got Notre Dame all their money. If any private school could get there, it would be USC or Miami. Arguably both have been there in the past as well.

But it's not nearly as important as number of alumni blanketing a state.

I am wondering if the SEC may not be that enamored with Miami because if we did join it seems our top local recruits who they raid periodically who want to play against the best (arguably the SEC) could stay home instead of going to Georgia, Bama, etc. The conference revenue would also help bolster our finances to upgrade coaching and facilities, etc. They really want to awaken and feed the giant?
I instantly thought this exact same thing, Miami will not be involved with the SEC due to this. Best case scenario is Miami is part of a second mega conference which draws revenue that is at least close to what the SEC gets. It's looking very sketchy to me.

Edit: this is all assuming Sankey has loyalty to the existing teams because Bama, LSU, Auburn etc would hate this move. However, adding Miami could make the league more valuable over time if they return to form so if Sankey is going for maximum revenue no matter what, maybe there is a chance.

Basically, I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Blow up ACC, Big12, and Pac12. Start a new SunBelt conference (w a different name of course).

EAST

Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
Kansas State
TCU

WEST

Oklahoma State
Nebraska