REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Lmao, this is gonna get ugly

Laurie Strode Burn GIF by Halloween

Advertisement
I wonder if that alliance would impact the annual series that Notre Dame has with USC and Stanford. If the ACC hadn't agreed to guarantee five games a year, they could really have issues putting together a decent schedule every year.
A PAC12-BIG10 agreement would not have to be 4 OOC games between the two per team (assuming 8-game conference schedules). Could be two OOC games, with a lot of home-and-home series. This leaves 2 remaining OOC games to schedule. The same with than an ACC-BIG10 agreement.

Like other conferences, the ACC can and will continue to schedule G5 and FCS teams, like Miami vs App State and Central Connecticut. I don’t believe any of these realignments will result in the elimination of these games.

Curious, why is it pure greed?

Those organizations have a responsibility, dare I say a fudiciary duty, to take action that is in the best interests of their institutions/programs.

Our Miami BOT and ACC commish have the same.

If they don't merge with PAC12/SEC/some. variant, get used to the idea of a Miami relegated to G5 level.
Which sadly might be just fine with many on the BOT.

Advertisement
Multiple sources confirmed to The Athletic that the American Athletic Conference has attempted to engage three to five Big 12 members about potentially joining the conference with ESPN’s support. CBS Sports first reported the AAC is the league Bowlsby is referencing.

Last week, multiple high-ranking sources within the conference told The Athletic that the AAC plans to act as an aggressor during realignment and intends to poach remaining Big 12 schools. “We’ve already got ESPN at the table,” a source in the conference said last week.

While Bowlsby is taking aim at attempts to persuade the Big 12’s remaining schools not to leave and destabilize or destroy the conference, he believes ESPN’s actions are not unrelated to the efforts of Texas and Oklahoma to depart for the SEC.

“If the conference ceases to exist, they have the best chance to join the SEC more quickly and they have the best chance to get out of their obligations for the grant of rights and the exit fees,” he said.

One of the things that is being ignored right now is the sheer incompetence of ACC leadership. The narrative is "the ACC needs to convince ND to be a full member of the conference is going to survive, but ND sees no good reason to give up its independence." If only there was some massive unforseen event that would have placed ND in a position where they either had to become full members of the acc or cancel their season. The ACC would have all the leverage in that situation and ND would have either joined the conference and at best, played a 3 game schedule against service academies and be frozen out from the playoffs.

Oh wait. That actually happened last year and the ACC gave ND everything it wanted and got nothing in return. I said at the time the ACC would regret not forcing NDs hand and that if Miami leadership had any balls, they would have vetoed allowing ND to become a ACC member for only one year so that ND could fill out their schedule. If the acc schools went ahead with it over the veto, Miami should have demanded to be released from the Grant of Rights and free to seek a new deal as there is no benefit to being in a conference that allows nonmembers to get temporary day passes and all the benefits of conference membership without having to pay the same dues as all the other members.

If the ACC is done as a viable conference, it has little to do with this SEC power play and everything to do with morons in leadership positions.
When that Covid ND thing went down my immediate reaction was the ACC has zero balls. Put it to them man. Perfect opportunity and they caved. The SEC is like Goldman, laughing at the Merrill’s of the world (ACC) playing with crayons and eating fruit roll ups all tangled up in yarn. The Big 12 is Wells if you are keeping score.

@Empirical Cane I like your analogy of $EC being Germany, circa 1939 (sans the other ‘N’ word).

Notre Dame is Switzerland.

Do the other conferences ally and conspire to isolate the $EC? Not scheduling any $EC team? Bolt from any bowl with a tie-in to the $EC? Reject any CFP expansion likely to add more $EC team to the pool 12 or 16? Notre Dame is Switzerland.

Or, do they come to a “Piece in our time” agreement, ‘piece’ being a smaller share of the pie, only to have the agreement broken later?

The other devil here is ESPN. Who could be their rival? FOX? They are losing OU and UT. Maybe have Jeff Bezos/Amazon join the fun. Amazon is venturing to sports streaming with NFL Thursday nights. More to come?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm just not following the logic that if massive realignment happens no one will want Miami.. Seems like some self-loathing projection.
Brother, for those of us who have been around during the glory years, like the 80’s on…. We have watched a train wreck for 15 years. For the newer generation, they heard about the glory years and have watched a train wreck for 15 years. The negative reaction is fear, basically, f$&k, now massive realignment is happening, what can go wrong next. I would be shocked if Miami got left holding Herman but can see why people think they will. It’s the cloud my man!

The rest of College football should sack up, tell the bag schools to go fornicate and form there own thing.

Notre Dame isn't joining the ACC because they'll come to the same conclusion you just did. They'll wait for realignment to make a move.

If you go the route of trying to out revenue the SEC I think you need to ditch the AAC, MAC, MW, Conf USA, and Sun Belt. Probably just the ACC, BIG10, PAC12 and maybe what's left of the BIG12. Just follow the NFL model.

Here's the boss move IMO: If you create what I said above, isolate the SEC and refuse to play them I think you can devalue that brand pretty immensely. If their league is only 16 teams, and their schedules are 12 games, an SEC team is basically playing the exact same schedule every single year. And half the teams in the SEC are not very good. Then, when the SEC brand is not performing very well I would be constantly needling teams like Florida and Texas A&M to jump ship. You could destroy the SEC within a decade.
You and the TimeBum fella need to get into a bunker and sort this out. I like it. One request from the infantry. Can we ***** the SEC and ND in your master plan?

In the bigger picture, ESPN has been a pain in the *** for Disney, both from a net revenue standpoint and in transitioning to DTC. You can sense the frustration when Bob Chapek makes comments like “having to thread the needle” between ESPN’s linear cable business and transitioning to premium direct to consumer services.

I seems as if Disney could be rid of ESPN, it would let someone else have the headache.

When you’ve been a drag to the mouse’s earnings as long as ESPN has, I can see why ESPN management is desperate.
ESPN is Texas. They blow.

Advertisement
@Empirical Cane I like your analogy of $EC being Germany, circa 1939 (sans the other ‘N’ word).

Notre Dame is Switzerland.

Do the other conferences ally and conspire to isolate the $EC? Not scheduling any $EC team? Bolt from any bowl with a tie-in to the $EC? Reject any CFP expansion likely to add more $EC team to the pool 12 or 16? Notre Dame is Switzerland.

Or, do they come to a “Piece in our time” agreement, ‘piece’ being a smaller share of the pie, only to have the agreement broken later?

The other devil here is ESPN. Who could be their rival? FOX? They are losing OU and UT. Maybe have Jeff Bezos/Amazon join the fun. Amazon is venturing to sports streaming with NFL Thursday nights. More to come?
So Notre Dame is hiding the SEC’s money and stolen works of art?

Advertisement

I said on Friday that the ACC needed to do a strategic partnership with the Big 10 and be aggressive in doing so. Granted we don’t know what happened behind closed doors, maybe the ACC is moving in silence, but that’s an obvious move for them to make.

Dissolve the NCAA and form a new organization, only exclude the $EC.

“You’re either with us, or you’re with the CFB terrorists!”

Advertisement
Back