REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
If we're talking "cultural" fits in relation to the Big and Slow Ten then I view the ACC as wayyyyyy more a fit than the Pac-32. The overlap in the most populous part of this country (the northeast) that we share with their power players (Michigan, O$U, Pedo State and Northwestern academically) as to where they draw students from and where alumni live is theoretically a much better fit than the "bond" of the Rose Bowl. The only other argument I've heard is that Midwesterners retire to Arizona. This is obviously made by mongoloids that have never visited the Gulf Coast of Florida.

They are the most coveted areas for football and television revenue as noted by their insane revenues and following.

No disrespect to those of you who say television markets, like that means something. It does, but hate to tell you that it doesn't mean much as to who follows football. Football is like a religion to the big schools which typically aren't in large television markets. They break the rules as there's fans in rural areas as much as they are in the city. Most of the schools followed the hardest don't even crack a top 25 market.

No conference is strictly looking at television market. They're looking at fans, followers, and like I said above, they're everywhere or entire states essentially.
I don't think we actually disagree much here. CFB itself is such a behemoth and national cultural institution that big games between the top teams will get eyeballs and that will get tv dollars disirregardless.

And we don't disagree in that tv markets aren't the end all be all. I think if you look at the top 10 rated games over the past couple of years though that you'll see about as many Big Ten & Clemson tilts in there as SEC match-ups. So where the big tv markets come into play is for a super conference to put an even stronger foothold in them and exploit them to an even greater extent.

So if the SEC stays largely regionalized and just increases their footprint in Texas but the Big Ten expands either into the West Coast or makes a bigger play up and down the eastern seaboard then I think you instantly negate any perceived advantage the SEC thinks they'll have in tv money.

College football can't exist in its current state. The SEC has made sure of that. So either you cut the SEC out of college football, as it's known, and create a new structure that can exceed the SEC product or we get an AFC/NFC college football structure with 40 or so teams. Those are the only two scenarios, IMO, that are capable of existing. Either way, I don't think the current conferences can exist anymore.

This whole, "well if we just add ND", nonsense isn't going to do anything. If any conference wants to rival the SEC right now it needs to destroy another. The BIG 10 and ACC need at least 3 MAJOR teams to be added to compete. Clemson/FSU/Miami or Ohio State/Penn State/Notre Dame/Michigan would have to transfer. So either the BIG10 destroys the ACC or the ACC destroys the BIG10 (which isn't happening).

Advertisement
College football can't exist in its current state. The SEC has made sure of that. So either you cut the SEC out of college football, as it's known, and create a new structure that can exceed the SEC product or we get an AFC/NFC college football structure with 40 or so teams. Those are the only two scenarios, IMO, that are capable of existing. Either way, I don't think the current conferences can exist anymore.

This whole, "well if we just add ND", nonsense isn't going to do anything. If any conference wants to rival the SEC right now it needs to destroy another. The BIG 10 and ACC need at least 3 MAJOR teams to be added to compete. Clemson/FSU/Miami or Ohio State/Penn State/Notre Dame/Michigan would have to transfer. So either the BIG10 destroys the ACC or the ACC destroys the BIG10 (which isn't happening).
Would you agree that the SEC isn't destroying the Big Ten either and that Michigan/OSU rumor is a pipedream?

If so, then we probably need to look at who has the leverage here as things stand among non SEC conferences. It's clearly the Big Ten. I personally think our best scenario is to get Notre Dame onboard and then merge with the Big Ten and hopefully trim some fat along the way. Form a super conference that runs up and down the east coast and then takes a hard left right to Chicago. Ideally lose some of our southern schools to the SEC (or oblivion) and they lose some of their weaker schools to whatever the Pac-32 and Big 8 try to cobble together.

Would you agree that the SEC isn't destroying the Big Ten either and that Michigan/OSU rumor is a pipedream?

If so, then we probably need to look at who has the leverage here as things stand among non SEC conferences. It's clearly the Big Ten. I personally think our best scenario is to get Notre Dame onboard and then merge with the Big Ten and hopefully trim some fat along the way. Form a super conference that runs up and down the east coast and then takes a hard left right to Chicago. Ideally lose some of our southern schools to the SEC (or oblivion) and they lose some of their weaker schools to whatever the Pac-32 and Big 8 try to cobble together.

SEC is 1939 Germany right now. Their broken promises and blitzkrieg are taking the rest of the world by surprise. All the other conferences can wake up, band together, and immediately stop the SEC in its tracks by forming a new football association that excludes the SEC, or everyone can sit on their hands and wait for a racist organization to sweep the continent .

With the right AD and coach, UM is FAR more likely to see a basketball championship before another one in football. The demographics, economics/budget, etc. point in that direction. Duke is more of a comparative model for UM than Alabama. In that sense, the ACC is UM's best conference fit.

With the right AD and coach, UM is FAR more likely to see a basketball championship before another one in football. The demographics, economics/budget, etc. point in that direction. Duke is more of a comparative model for UM than Alabama. In that sense, the ACC is UM's best conference fit.

If Clemson could come out of nowhere to become dominant, Miami can do it too. We just need to have a much, much sneakier bag game. They have that church money laundering down to a science.

Advertisement
SEC is 1939 Germany right now. Their broken promises and blitzkrieg are taking the rest of the world by surprise. All the other conferences can wake up, band together, and immediately stop the SEC in its tracks by forming a new football association that excludes the SEC, or everyone can sit on their hands and wait for a racist organization to sweep the continent .
I agree but think all that's required is an equal an opposite measure instead of everyone sitting on their hands as usual. Dont effing wait for the SEC to try to pick off another pair of teams and then everyone else cobble together what's left. Form a competing super conference right now with some unique advantages over what the SEC has done and then push the NCAA to get those left out to form a third conference. The SEC blowing up the Big 12 has essentially forced college sports to go from a Power 5 setup to a Power 3 imo. Some would even say a Power 2 is inevitable or one big 60 team league but the former has geographical issues and the later severely hurts the sport by removing ALL notions of a conference setup.

By far, the most important changes that can be implemented in this situation is instituting spending controls. Spending controls are the most critical for three main reasons:

1.) It would break the link between revenue & expenditures, and prevent athletic program budgets from ballooning out of control. Halting cost growth eases the financial pressure on schools that aren’t at the very top of the revenue generating pyramid.

2.) It would limit the amount of resources available to one particular team, therefore making resource allocation more even across the board. Even if a program experiences a financial setback, they will still be able to support their teams at a reduced level of investment, instead of eliminating them.

3.) It will encourage savings, and athletic depts. will be able to build up meaningful reserve funds, instead of squandering it on short term priorities.

The biggest difference between Alabama & Akron, is not that Alabama can hoard 4 & 5 star talent, and Akron cannot. Even if you reduce scholarships, those players are not going to end up at Akron regardless. The biggest difference between the two programs is how much financial stress they are under, in order to field a football team. Akron is under so much duress, that eventually there is going to be no other option, but to board up, close shop, and get out of the football business. When that happens the entire fabric of the sport is beginning to fray. The way you determine integrity in the sport, is not by looking at what's occurring at the top. You determine it, by examining the bottom feeders. They are the ones that ultimately will determine whether CFB survives, or dies
You’re wrong and totally unrealistic.

Reduce scholarships and everything takes care of itself including more $ for additional men’s sports.

I think now that Texas A&M feels spurned, the time is right to steal them. Get a Texas program into the ACC and nab a portion of the Texas market. At this point, I wouldn't try to match the power play SEC is making with UT and OU, but rather focus on expanding the ACC TV market share and make it a more appealing conference for bigger names to join later.

I think now that Texas A&M feels spurned, the time is right to steal them. Get a Texas program into the ACC and nab a portion of the Texas market. At this point, I wouldn't try to match the power play SEC is making with UT and OU, but rather focus on expanding the ACC TV market share and make it a more appealing conference for bigger names to join later.
they ain't coming here, they are all about SEC SEC SEC.

Advertisement
I don't think we actually disagree much here. CFB itself is such a behemoth and national cultural institution that big games between the top teams will get eyeballs and that will get tv dollars disirregardless.

And we don't disagree in that tv markets aren't the end all be all. I think if you look at the top 10 rated games over the past couple of years though that you'll see about as many Big Ten & Clemson tilts in there as SEC match-ups. So where the big tv markets come into play is for a super conference to put an even stronger foothold in them and exploit them to an even greater extent.

So if the SEC stays largely regionalized and just increases their footprint in Texas but the Big Ten expands either into the West Coast or makes a bigger play up and down the eastern seaboard then I think you instantly negate any perceived advantage the SEC thinks they'll have in tv money.

You already know why I upvoted you

they ain't coming here, they are all about SEC SEC SEC.
At this point they are feeling the SEC the least. They got shut out and put in the corner. You are probably right that they are going to be the cucks of the SEC, but it was a thought of mine.

So in essence, add a South Division to their East and West Division.

I haven’t read every post in this thread, but I don’t see a lot of stuff that makes sense, this does at least seem like a viable possibility.

Whether it’s a mutual absorption, or they just cherry pick 7 teams from the ACC.

In either case, there’s no way we don’t get in. Personally, I could give a shlt if the ACC survives as an entity or not, I only care about Miami

Advertisement
At this point they are feeling the SEC the least. They got shut out and put in the corner. You are probably right that they are going to be the cucks of the SEC, but it was a thought of mine.
my TAMU friend thinks they were right there...they are talking mad crap about Texas.

If so, then we probably need to look at who has the leverage here as things stand among non SEC conferences. It's clearly the Big Ten. I personally think our best scenario is to get Notre Dame onboard and then merge with the Big Ten and hopefully trim some fat along the way. Form a super conference that runs up and down the east coast and then takes a hard left right to Chicago.

Notre Dame isn't joining the ACC because they'll come to the same conclusion you just did. They'll wait for realignment to make a move.

If you go the route of trying to out revenue the SEC I think you need to ditch the AAC, MAC, MW, Conf USA, and Sun Belt. Probably just the ACC, BIG10, PAC12 and maybe what's left of the BIG12. Just follow the NFL model.

SEC is 1939 Germany right now

Here's the boss move IMO: If you create what I said above, isolate the SEC and refuse to play them I think you can devalue that brand pretty immensely. If their league is only 16 teams, and their schedules are 12 games, an SEC team is basically playing the exact same schedule every single year. And half the teams in the SEC are not very good. Then, when the SEC brand is not performing very well I would be constantly needling teams like Florida and Texas A&M to jump ship. You could destroy the SEC within a decade.

Nothing is iron-clad in life, everything is negotiable.
Especially GOR agreements where the entity with the most to gain — in this case ESPN —has the ability to maneuver out of these "contracts" when a much more profitable option emerges.

The GOR's are put in place by the media rights holders and the league office and serve the same purpose for each: to keep away would be suitors.

For ESPN, that was Fox and one day perhaps Amazon or one of the Silicon Valley tech giants.

For the ACC office (with the support of 14 mostly clueless university administrations), it was the SEC and B1G.

Flash forward five years and the SEC Network is crushing it, the ACC Network hasn't removed its training wheels and ESPN is in position to make a thriving property even stronger and more or less pull the plug on the one bleeding red ink.

In other words, what the four-letter network is doing as we speak with Texas and the forever-floundering Longhorn Network.

What CEO of a billion-dollar operation wouldn't green light a move like that?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back