REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

What if Oklahoma and Texas aren’t voted into the SEC. They have already burnt their bridge with the Big 12. Could they look to the ACC or would they look to the BIG 10. I think ACC would be more welcoming.
1) Highly unlikely that happens (but ok maybe)
2) Big 12 will still slob UT/OU **** like the good little cucks they are
3) ACC.... MUST.... MUST now seriously look at some sort of PAC12/B1G merger.

Advertisement
What if Oklahoma and Texas aren’t voted into the SEC. They have already burnt their bridge with the Big 12. Could they look to the ACC or would they look to the BIG 10. I think ACC would be more welcoming.
Not going to happen. Texas A&M and Missouri are the only schools that would vote against it.

I don’t think it’s a lock they get in. I read somewhere that 3 schools will adamantly vote no. All they need is 1 more school.

Edit: Just kidding looks like it is going to be a 14-0 vote. Sigh

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll do some off the books payoffs to secure those votes. I'd be surprised if ANYONE voted nay besides A&M.

There's no such thing as burning bridges when those two schools bascially are the Big 12 and control whether it lives or dies. Schools would be ****ed but they have no power as they need them more than UT/OU needs them.

Advertisement
B12 merger? Lol. Nobody wants those ****** schools. Kansas and Ok State are solid but don't move the needle and obviously are not a fit geographic wise.

B12 merger? Lol. Nobody wants those ****** schools. Kansas and Ok State are solid but don't move the needle and obviously are not a fit geographic wise.
SOMETHING must happen between ACC/B1G/Big12 castoffs...

there is no other effective and viable long-term way forward, unless those conferences want to join par with the AAC or Sunbelt

SOMETHING must happen between ACC/B1G/Big12 castoffs...

there is no other effective and viable long-term way forward, unless those conferences want to join par with the AAC or Sunbelt
Why? The ACC schools are still going to make a ****load of money, just not nearly as much as the SEC or the Big Ten schools, but still a Grand canyon away and beyond from those other conferences.

If the networks are really successful then eventually Notre Dame will need to join the ACC and that will solve that problem. If the networks are not really successful because of the cord cutting or whatever, then the Delta between the ACC and the top two conferences will diminish. Just accept that your school athletic department is going to have 10-20 million less a year Than ole miss and Minnesota. Who cares?

Advertisement
Big 12 is done. The Pac 12 will get their pick of that remaining litter.

All eyes on Clemson now. If they stay put, I don't think anything else earth shattering happens. If Clemson does move, it will be Armageddon. ND would likely follow them (or be Big 10 bound) and you know FSU will be that cheap **** that attaches itself to any of the bigger dogs that will show it attention. ACC would be on life support football wise.

Big 12 is done. The Pac 12 will get their pick of that remaining litter.

All eyes on Clemson now. If they stay put, I don't think anything else earth shattering happens. If Clemson does move, it will be Armageddon. ND would likely follow them (or be Big 10 bound) and you know FSU will be that cheap **** that attaches itself to any of the bigger dogs that will show it attention. ACC would be on life support football wise.

ACC Grant of Rights:
The conference's grant of rights guarantees in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation. I don't think Clemson is going anywhere.

Last edited:
I think the funniest thing about all this is the SEC just literally set a nuke off in their own backyard, hoping to kill their neighbors. At some point everyone in college football is going to look at this thing, the SEC included, and go, "Oh ****, this is a mess". If you want to realign college football you need buy in from everyone to do so.

The only real move here by everyone else is to stop panicking and trying to grab teams, take a second to breathe, and say, "You're going to form a new "league" of college football without Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, FSU, USC, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Stanford, UCLA, etc?" What's left in college football is collectively a better product than what the SEC currently has. I say you isolate them away and say, "Fine, go form your own league with your 16 teams." And then you figure out a way to realign with everything else. You could really ***** them over if you did this right. A 16 team SEC league is not going to outperform a realigned college football if it's done right.

I think the funniest thing about all this is the SEC just literally set a nuke off in their own backyard, hoping to kill their neighbors. At some point everyone in college football is going to look at this thing, the SEC included, and go, "Oh ****, this is a mess". If you want to realign college football you need buy in from everyone to do so.

The only real move here by everyone else is to stop panicking and trying to grab teams, take a second to breathe, and say, "You're going to form a new "league" of college football without Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, FSU, USC, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Stanford, UCLA, etc?" What's left in college football is collectively a better product than what the SEC currently has. I say you isolate them away and say, "Fine, go form your own league with your 16 teams." And then you figure out a way to realign with everything else. You could really ***** them over if you did this right. A 16 team SEC league is not going to outperform a realigned college football if it's done right.

I fully agree with the approach of freezing out the SEC and all the rest of the teams in CFB (Big 10, Big12, ACC, Pac12, all the G5s) forming a new amateur collegiate football organization, with a hard cap on number of analysts and total staff compensation. For example, say there is a 10 million cap, a team could pay a HC 9 million per year, but then they only have 1 million for the rest of the staff (compensation includes ALL compensation and not just the salaries, would include the FMV of things like free houses bought by boosters like Sabans multimillion dollar mansion). CFB could finally put limits on the coaching arms race and become interesting to watch again.

The new league could crown its own #1 (which would actually be competitive and change year to year) and the SEC can play its own little 16 team round robin tournament over and over again and just crown Bama as the eternal champ and their permanent #1 team. Most of the country will look at them as a non-competitive joke where the same team wins their conference every single year. Eventually the SEC champ (Bama) will want to play the new superconference champ; the superconference should just tell them to f#ck off and tell Bama to go play with itself.

Advertisement
This is what I would really like to see. Back to the old school conferences with some adjustments. 8 conference champs make up the playoffs.

PAC 10BIG 8SWCBIG 10SEC"SOUTH"ACC"EAST"
USCNEBTEXOSUALAMIACLEMPSU
UCLAOKLTXTMICHGEOFSUNDVT
ASUOKSTCUINDFLALOUUNCPITT
ARZCOLARKMSUAUBGATUVAWVA
OREISUTAMWISLSUMEMUMDBC
ORSKSUBAYMINNTENUSFSCUSYR
CALKANSMUIOWAKENECUWFRUT
WASMIZHOUILLVANUCFNCSCIN
WSURICEPURMSTDUKE
STANNORMISS

and the SEC can play its own little 16 team round robin tournament over and over again and just crown Bama as the eternal champ and their permanent #1 team.

Yea, you basically take the cancer that exists within college football and isolate it. Let it die alone.

I imagine a world where the SEC forms its own league, the rest of college football gets it right and forms a great product by itself, and the day Nick Saban retires the SEC realizes how screwed it is and how one man has been the reason for the success. I would be on the phone with every school president and board trying to unify around this idea.

If a decade from now UF is begging to be let into the newly structured league I would be happy to shut the door in their face.

This is a very interesting take and something I’ve been mulling about since this broke.

If the SEC’s end game is to have a 16 team super arena league, where Alabama still wins pretty much every year, then mission accomplished.

But can they sustain interest from the four corners of the US, and for an extended period? Yes they have a built in core market, but do they retain interest from the wider market? And how does that affect their overall revenue? Do they just become a football conference of interest only to a regional market (the southeast/TX/OK)?

More points to discuss along this line, but an interesting jumpoff point.

Advertisement
Duke basketball guy: "If I were the ACC right now, I’d approach the SEC and consider a merger"

SEC commissioner watching ESPN: "And what exactly are we supposed to do with Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest ... How about we just take who we want, leave the rest to figure it out and then call it a day?"

He should stick to basketball. I’d bet big money the SEC has no plans for this.
Yeah, he's not much for football.

If Duke, UNC and UVa would leave for the Big Ten, we'd have the basketball equivalent of what the SEC is about to become

And guys like Bilas and Dukie V would be fine with it

Advertisement
Back