REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

As another said, Houston is a commuter school. It's nobodies first, second, or even third choice and they have a lot of students who are just taking classes to get a degree while working as they can't go full time. They're basically a big community college.

WVU is the only school that matters in that state. It's their school, West Virginia's. You get the entire state essentially. There's a reason they're in a big conference and Houston is stuck in a second tier conference.

Cincy would be a better choice than Houston.

It's well understood that the main reason UH was rejected from the Big12 in 2016 is that all the Big12 schools heavily recruit Texas and they didn't want to elevate Houston because making UH a P5 could significantly hurt those schools, as they feast on the players around Houston who want to go to P5s. Houston was essentially a victim of it's own success (making it up to #6 in the rankings with some huge upsets). The Big12 schools saw a program that could get really good really fast if players around Houston stayed there. The same goes for the SEC- they don't want any more competition in the state of Texas. The ACC has zero presence in Texas. None. That's insane for a state with some of the biggest markets and best recruiting grounds. I think the ACC needs to get at least a minor toehold in Texas. If not Houston, then Baylor. IMO, either of those would be superior to WVU.

Advertisement
I haven't read the last 30 pages, but seeing a few posts above, let me add a little.

WVU is a horrific, couch-burning school with ****-poor academics in the armpit of America where they don't even have internet and TV. They communicate by pig squeal. They bring nothing except they are ok at sports. They really add $ value? Nah. It's a worse add than Louisville was and we had to hold our noses to take them. Honestly if it's an even numbers thing, I'd rather take ND and kick someone out, so each ACC school gets a bigger piece of the TV pie.

NO ONE is leaving the SEC or Big 10 for any other conference, unless a Big10 school(s) go SEC. There is a food chain. Respect it. Well at least not of their own volition.

The ACC could Kick Louisville to the curb IMO (MY OPINION - NOT A PREDICTION) to make room for ND if for some reason they decided to come. Do we really need a crap commuter school in Kentucky in the ACC conference? Except being "solid" at sports they really bring very little. No prestige, not a big draw, horrible academics, ****hole state. Other schools that could be in range to get cut would be Syracuse, BC or PITT, though anyone getting kicked out is a long shot, and those three are much safer than Louisville IMO. But they are new-ish to the ACC and a revenue drag.

There is no reason to add a school unless it brings more revenue into the pot than your current average. Unless they IMPROVE the ACC, not just enlarge it.

Last edited:
It's well understood that the main reason UH was rejected from the Big12 in 2016 is that all the Big12 schools heavily recruit Texas and they didn't want to elevate Houston because making UH a P5 could significantly hurt those schools, as they feast on the players around Houston who want to go to P5s. Houston was essentially a victim of it's own success (making it up to #6 in the rankings with some huge upsets). The Big12 schools saw a program that could get really good really fast if players around Houston stayed there. The same goes for the SEC- they don't want any more competition in the state of Texas. The ACC has zero presence in Texas. None. That's insane for a state with some of the biggest markets and best recruiting grounds. I think the ACC needs to get at least a minor toehold in Texas. If not Houston, then Baylor. IMO, either of those would be superior to WVU.

They opted not to expand in 2016. There wasn't enough interest or benefit for doing so.

We don't need a presence in TX or the ACC for that matter. Them joining, it wouldn't do much for recruiting. In fact you killed your own argument by saying Houston area kids want to go P5, so wouldn't they likely go there? If they didn't, continued getting out recruited by everyone, how would they get better to draw in casual fans?

Your argument is flawed.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nobody gives a **** about Houston. Ever heard their name in any other sport in recent times?

Big television market for sure. However, it doesn't matter when you consider the above.

Houston isn't even the biggest collegiate program in their town, TAMU and UT are. There are more of those alumni in that area, than there are Houston alums. Houston is a huge media market, but it's also a pro town first, then UT/TAMU, THEN UH.

With this expansion, the ACC MUST force ND to become an all sports member. If they don't, or try to slow play it, then you boot them from everything else. WVU is the likely choice to join the conference, it gives VT, Pitt, and a lot of the old Big East schools a familiar foe, one that fits well in the footprint. They also bring basketball along with a decent football program. You would then need to figure out a way to get another top end name to join, if ND doesn't. Adding someone from out West isn't happening, because you have to travel out there. Maybe someone can stoke the anti UT mindset at TAMU and get them to make an irrational decision in leaving the SEC and joining the ACC. You get TAMU and WVU, or ND and WVU, and it's fine. That said, Clemson and FSU will stab everyone in the back at some point, so don't be shocked if the SEC reaches out to them.

I wouldn't have said that about FSU when Bobby Bowden was there, but since he retired, the relationship between UMiami and FSU has changed. It went from a passionate but familiar rivalry where we had common enemies and a mutual respect based on both programs coming of age at the same time, fighting the same battles, to FSU trying to big time us. FSU fancies themselves an SEC program.

With this expansion, the ACC MUST force ND to become an all sports member. If they don't, or try to slow play it, then you boot them from everything else.

Sounds "strong",....but how would that help the current situation? Booting them out would give them a free ticket into the Big10.

Moreover, with more wheeling and dealing, it'd probably give teams like Clemson and FSU to bolt as well.

It's not necessarily that teams cannot leave, it's that we would be due receive their TV money till like 2035 or whatever. So you don't want to weaken your position and give other teams a green light towards exiting with what's going on.

Advertisement
Question what happens to all rivalries, assuming sec adds more in conferenc games ? I doubt state rivalries continue on.

uf - fsu
sc - clem
uga - gtech
uk - ul
ou - okst

Sounds "strong",....but how would that help the current situation? Booting them out would give them a free ticket into the Big10.

Moreover, with more wheeling and dealing, it'd probably give teams like Clemson and FSU to bolt as well.

It's not necessarily that teams cannot leave, it's that we would be due receive their TV money till like 2035 or whatever. So you don't want to weaken your position and give other teams a green light towards exiting with what's going on.
Exactly. Hands are pretty much tied. We just have to accept that for the foreseeable future, unless the ACC Network is a complete home run, you're looking at a significant delta in revenue compared to SEC and Big 10 teams. It really isn't that big of a deal imo. SEC and Big ten will overpay coaches.

Question what happens to all rivalries, assuming sec adds more in conferenc games ? I doubt state rivalries continue on.

uf - fsu
sc - clem
uga - gtech
uk - ul
ou - okst

I would be very surprised to see some of those rivalries go away, however...when A&M joined the SEC, it wasnt hard for them to say goodbye to Texas, one the other hand, the UT vs Oklahoma rivalry is much more rich anyway.

I just do not see rivalry games such as UF-FSU, Clemson - USC going away.

Advertisement
Perhaps if the "University of Miami" officially changed its name to the "University in Miami" it could get out of its ACC contract early without a penalty.

"Sure ACC, you can keep the media rights for the University of Miami until 2035, however this very similar school with the same logo is joining the SEC."

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.rsquare.w700.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement

Good podcast with Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel. Not an optimistic take from either of them on the sport now or in the future, even for Texas or OU. This whole thing is a mess and doesn’t make sense for more than a select few schools and ONLY if they manage it perfectly.

What if Oklahoma and Texas aren’t voted into the SEC. They have already burnt their bridge with the Big 12. Could they look to the ACC or would they look to the BIG 10. I think ACC would be more welcoming.

Good podcast with Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel. Not an optimistic take from either of them on the sport now or in the future, even for Texas or OU. This whole thing is a mess and doesn’t make sense for more than a select few schools and ONLY if they manage it perfectly.
The $$$$$$$ will eventually course correct the process.

It always does.

Obviously several "big name" programs simply will not/won't be able to achieve/sustain membership in the "big name(s)" super conference.

The SEC powers are incredibly calculating, like crocodiles pulling sitting birds off low hanging branches. They know what they are doing and see the prize ahead.

Doesn't mean it is going to work out long term, but they definitely have had a plan for a lomg while.

I suspect the future book, "I the SEC achieved world domination and mushroom stamped the NCAA" will be a page-turning read.

OU says it isn't ALL about the additional revenue. They cite the use of their games as the 11 am "feature game" for Fox. They don't like the time slot, much less being used to bring in viewers for every feature match up.

I remember when the OU-nebraska anniversary game was announced as an 11 am time slot. Both schools were very publicly upset.

Advertisement
Back