REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Hypothetical situation to save big 12:

Nebraska leaves the Big 10, joins the remaining 8 Big 12 schools, adds SMU, Houston & Memphis. Big Red is the big dog again.
That conference would be trash if it happened tomorrow. But Houston smu and Memphis recruiting with a P5 logo is interesting. Memphis would be the best school in their state lol. Problem is the Texas schools wouldn’t want the other joining for recruiting reasons

Advertisement
The biggest problem for the ACC is Miami, FSU, and Va Tech have been down for years. If this was 2000 the ACC would rival the SEC and nobody would care what OU and Texas did. It's funny to think of a world where Miami, FSU, Va Tech, Clemson are all still top 10 teams and the ACC adds Notre Dame. That would be the SEC basically.
Level the playing field and let everyone bag up and presto! SEC is a cesspool and can do what ever it wants.
Dont the other schools in the sec have to vote on it?
I always go with rule number one on this type of question. Follow the money. They have to vote but money usually wins the day.

Just my prediction, but the SEC will have a reckoning at some point. This is an awful way to do business.
I think they are so caught up in the conference nonsense that they are nearly at the point where they think an SEC title > national title.

Living in DFW, what I can tell you is TCU won’t move the needle for that “market” and neither will Baylor.

Honestly, with A&M, Texas, and OU in the SEC….that conference has locked up 90% of Texas.
The important part when negotiating conference TV deals is the number of homes and eyes in a market. Putting one of those teams in the conference adds a major metropolitan market to the conference footprint, even if they aren't the premier team in it.

Brett McMurphy thoughts this morning;

• He believes they (OU & UT) are gone
  • They could join the SEC as soon as 2022
  • ACC grabs WVU and keeps a spot for ND
  • B10 adds Kansas, ISU

• B12 has 3 options
  • Baylor, TTU, OSU, TCU- P12 (poor KSU)
  • SMU, HOUSTON, TULANE, MEMPHIS, TULSA, UCF, USF, CINCINNATI, BYU, BOISE, CSU join BAY, TTU, OSU, TCU
  • B12 goes all out and keeps ISU and KU and courts NEBRASKA, CU, BYU, BOISE. UTAH, HOUSTON, SMU, ARIZONA, ARIZONA ST
ACC Presidents do not want "rogue" academic institution WVU (always have had low admissions standards).

Reality question. Do people really want Miami?

I think anyone looking to make money would include Miami. I don't think eliminating Miami for their recruiting grounds makes any sense when you would potentially be eliminating a money earning market from being connected to your product. If you're the SEC and you're forming your own league away from the NCAA it would make sense to ensure there are teams and reasons for people to care in every major market. Miami, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame....

Advertisement
I think anyone looking to make money would include Miami. I don't think eliminating Miami for their recruiting grounds makes any sense when you would potentially be eliminating a money earning market from being connected to your product. If you're the SEC and you're forming your own league away from the NCAA it would make sense to ensure there are teams and reasons for people to care in every major market. Miami, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame....
Yeah, I need to follow my own rule number 1. Follow the money.

ACC Presidents do not want "rogue" academic institution WVU (always have had low admissions standards).
Yeah, the high and mighty attitude is working for them. The ACC is so Mickey Mouse. Maybe the FNG will save the day.

Advertisement
The important part when negotiating conference TV deals is the number of homes and eyes in a market. Putting one of those teams in the conference adds a major metropolitan market to the conference footprint, even if they aren't the premier team in it.

If that were the whole story, the AAC (American Athletic Conference) would have a monster TV deal, since many of its schools are located in major markets.

I think of it more like playing the old board game, Monopoly. The goal is to acquire valuable properties and build them up. Texas and OU are like Boardwalk and Park Place. TCU and Baylor are like those purple properties right next to the jail, you buy for $2

Reality question. Do people really want Miami? They want the recruiting grounds but don't want the team. That said, Miami is good for ratings and since money is the end all be all, maybe that helps Miami. You may want to get a little proactive and not reactive if you are the University of Miami.
The rise of the SEC coincided with the fall of Miami when they started poaching SoFla kids. Bama, LSU and UGA benefit in recruiting from SEC bias - they want to play "big boy ball". You put an SEC patch on Miami's unis and they lose that recruiting advantage.

No way Bama, LSU, UGA and UF are letting Miami in.

The rise of the SEC coincided with the fall of Miami when they started poaching SoFla kids. Bama, LSU and UGA benefit in recruiting from SEC bias - they want to play "big boy ball". You put an SEC patch on Miami's unis and they lose that recruiting advantage.

No way Bama, LSU, UGA and UF are letting Miami in.
That is my fear my man.

If that were the whole story, the AAC (American Athletic Conference) would have a monster TV deal, since many of its schools are located in major markets.

I think of it more like playing the old board game, Monopoly. The goal is to acquire valuable properties and build them up. Texas and OU are like Boardwalk and Park Place. TCU and Baylor are like those purple properties right next to the jail, you buy for $2
I get the analogy, but I don't think they are as bad as you are thinking, though you live there. Baylor has had success in football recently and just won the basketball title. The reality is, unless you are going out west and saying to **** with geography and travel time, there are no blue chip free agents other than ND if OU/UT go to the SEC. So you get ND in the fold, pick the best of the rest, move to 16 and call it a day.

But the ACC 100% needs to realize that football is what pays and start acting more like that. No one cares about college basketball until the tournament and that is not part of the conference TV deals.

Advertisement

Miami is very valuable….we’ve just had morons captaining the ship for 30 years.

You get a competent set of managers in here and Miami can be every bit as valuable as any SEC team. Blake James is not the man for the job.

Miami and Florida State are the headliners for the ACC…and Notre Dame if we can add them. Clemson is having s nice run, but it’s temporary.

The ACC isn’t going to grow through acquisitions, all the best properties have been snatched up. it’s gonna have to grow by building up its headliner schools

ACC refs ******** over Miami is the conference shooting itself in the foot. This conference now more than ever needs 1980’s Jimmy Johnson Miami to carry it as the marquis program. The ACC need to be part of making that happen, not part of the problem

So what I'm hearing:

SEC will be top dog
B10 is relatively safe with its teams
ACC is not quite on the hot seat but needs to make some moves (Add ND, Miami/FSU need to get their crap together)
PAC12 needs to start poaching the best of whats left in the B12
B12 is dead

Scary times folks, a lot of teams will be left out in the cold when all this is over.

Advertisement
Or like Louisville... But I am fairly certain the ACC has passed on WV multiple times now. Also, I do not know what value WV really brings to anything.

The ACC is one team at this point. They better be building all the mega churches and evangelical looney houses Clemson needs to stay happy so we don't face total annihilation.

That is my fear my man.
We're going to be on the outside looking in when the dust settles unless something crazy happens. For example...

Clemson
Miami
FSU
UNC/VT
Ohio State
PennSt
Michigan
Wisky
MichSt
Nebraska
Oregon
USCw
Washington
ASU/Zona
OkieSt
Baylor/TCU

Convince ND to join if you can and boot MichSt.

You make a football-only super-conference out of that, surround the SEC geographically make it NWO vs WCW 2.0, Saturday Night Wars. Let ESPN bankrupt itself on the SEC media rights while CBS, Amazon etc. bid against each other to cover the only other game in town.

Chicago Bulls Wrestling GIF by WWE

Wishful thinking and yes, I'm drinking before noon. 🍻

Advertisement
Back