Real Talk...

Advertisement
Trajan Bandy went out in the first quarter. That completely changed the game. I don't know why more Canes fans don't recognize that.

You're right, that did change the game. But the difference is, the elite teams replace Bandy with another Bandy, we are getting to that point though.

Not saying we would have beaten Clemson but everything that could have went wrong did go wrong that game. Team was not ready to play and yes Manny’s sit back and watch game plan was a disaster. By the end of the season teams had figured out the Canes offense. Because Rosier couldn’t hit a receiver in stride teams started stacking the box to take away the run.

Both Richards and Thomas dropped a catchable ball on Miami’s first possession, Thomas’s would have gone for 6.

How different could that game have been had we scored within the first 3 minutes.
Not much. It wouldn't have magically made Rosier accurate the rest of the game. Pretty much every game we played last year Rosier had long stretches of poor play, even after TDs.

Advertisement
Not much. It wouldn't have magically made Rosier accurate the rest of the game. Pretty much every game we played last year Rosier had long stretches of poor play, even after TDs.
Respectfully disagree. Not that it would have made Rosier any more accurate, but I tend to think momentum is critical in college football.

We kick off to Pitt, force them to punt, and then had JT not dropped that pass it's a 90 yard TD score. I think that would have taken the wind out of Pitt's confidence in their defense and used it to breathe life into out team who was otherwise pretty flat all day. Maybe we still find a way to lose, but the game would have been vastly different from that point on. Pitt's scheme was to force Rosier to complete passes over top of their shallow zone. Blow that **** up on the opening series and send Narduzzi back to the drawing board. He most definitely would have had a different attitude at the halftime break.

1st_1031.png

We still sucked the rest of the game but this would have helped. We also didn't capitalize on the early turnover from them.

Whoever started this thread must have been heavily medicated when watching the game or when deciding we'd have beaten Clemson with any or all of our three best players available.

We were given a major league *** whipping. If those guys suited up we may have been more competitive, but last year's Canes weren't ready for that super talented, experienced, championship caliber team.

Advertisement
Respectfully disagree. Not that it would have made Rosier any more accurate, but I tend to think momentum is critical in college football.

We kick off to Pitt, force them to punt, and then had JT not dropped that pass it's a 90 yard TD score. I think that would have taken the wind out of Pitt's confidence in their defense and used it to breathe life into out team who was otherwise pretty flat all day. Maybe we still find a way to lose, but the game would have been vastly different from that point on. Pitt's scheme was to force Rosier to complete passes over top of their shallow zone. Blow that **** up on the opening series and send Narduzzi back to the drawing board. He most definitely would have had a different attitude at the halftime break.

View attachment 60727
It could have, or Rosier could have stunk up the joint the rest of the game. Let me ask you, which one was more likely? I think Rosier stinking up the joint the rest of the game is pretty darn likely.

Until we have a massive upgrade at both QB and OL we aint beating clemson thats for dam sure. Even with Richards, Walton and Herndon we dont beat clemson last season

It could have, or Rosier could have stunk up the joint the rest of the game. Let me ask you, which one was more likely? I think Rosier stinking up the joint the rest of the game is pretty darn likely.
Me too. Rosier was bad that day, no doubt. Below average to begin with, and possibly playing through injury made him downright terrible.

My point is, how different would Pitt have played after being lit up by a 90 yard bomb on the opening series? Think about it. That was their whole game plan and they never wavered from it. Defend the short field and make Rosier beat you deep. Everything they worked on all week gets shot in the *** on the opening series. That has to change the complexion of the game. That has to make Pitt adjust. They now HAVE to respect the whole field.

Would this allow us more success in the run game?
Does Pitt's DBs play softer and make the underneath stuff a little easier for Rosier?

Is Narduzzi still a ****y pr!ck heading into the locker room at the half?

And just so no one accuses me of ragging on JT, here's the Richards drop from two plays before the JT drop. People like to argue that this wasn't a drop, but I don't care. Richards is 6'2" and was up around 200 before he dropped some weight rehabbing his injury. He has inside position on a 5'9" 170 lb. defender. That's his ball. You can't even see the defender from the QB angle. There's no excuse for Richards letting this ball come to his body and giving that little man a chance at a play.

Rosier was terrible, yes, but does it matter when we can't catch anyway?

1st_922_2.png

Advertisement
Pitt was the one game we shouldn't have lost. We won four with guts and determination. We let most of the other wins to inferior teams hang around way too long. At best with Herndon and Richards we beat Wisky but remember we lost to Pitt because Rosier couldn't hit his receivers.

Advertisement
Me too. Rosier was bad that day, no doubt. Below average to begin with, and possibly playing through injury made him downright terrible.

My point is, how different would Pitt have played after being lit up by a 90 yard bomb on the opening series? Think about it. That was their whole game plan and they never wavered from it. Defend the short field and make Rosier beat you deep. Everything they worked on all week gets shot in the *** on the opening series. That has to change the complexion of the game. That has to make Pitt adjust. They now HAVE to respect the whole field.

Would this allow us more success in the run game?
Does Pitt's DBs play softer and make the underneath stuff a little easier for Rosier?

Is Narduzzi still a ****y pr!ck heading into the locker room at the half?

Agreed. Had that one pass gone to the house, the whole game takes a different outlook. Pitt's game plan was not that different from the prior year. just that Kaaya hit a couple passes down field and it opened the whole game up. Had that pass to Thomas succeeded, it would have forced Pitt's defense to be a bit more hesitant jumping the underneath routes and helping in run support. It's a confidence killer right off the bat. Often times, it's not about executing every play on every drive but just hitting the right ones at the right times that make the difference in a game.

Agreed. Had that one pass gone to the house, the whole game takes a different outlook. Pitt's game plan was not that different from the prior year. just that Kaaya hit a couple passes down field and it opened the whole game up. Had that pass to Thomas succeeded, it would have forced Pitt's defense to be a bit more hesitant jumping the underneath routes and helping in run support. It's a confidence killer right off the bat. Often times, it's not about executing every play on every drive but just hitting the right ones at the right times that make the difference in a game.
And it was a play-action run fake. Play-action is a Quarters killer. It forces the DBs to stop peeking in the backfield for their run keys.

View attachment 60727

Jeff Thomas was running a post or stream route. He had to turn his body with his momentum going towards the middle of the field. You can tell that's the case because of the CB momentum is still going towards the middle.

Jeff Thomas was running a post or stream route. He had to turn his body with his momentum going towards the middle of the field. You can tell that's the case because of the CB momentum is still going towards the middle.
So?
He had the defender beat and let the ball drop right through his hands.

Advertisement
Back