Real talk. What does it mean to love the U.

I'll tell you what it means to me. Attending my first game at the Orange Bowl against (Michigan State:snoopfacepalm:) seeing Marc Richt sub in for an injured Jim Kelly. Going away to the Military and repping my home town. Watching the team win and lose national titles. Having kids and taking them to the Orange Bowl. Seeing them grow up to be hard core CANES fans and now suffering along with them.

My only regret is that they have never seen excellence like I did.
1632163225357.png

Advertisement
You should ALWAYS love your life decisions, even if it includes loving a poorly coached team..... so as an otherwise completely happy Alum I have no choice.

Majority of my day to day attire including work polos and golfing attire are UM related. I also have a giant U on my truck, my boat, and a UM flag under the colors.

I’ve made most of my friends canes fans from our teenage years. Wasn’t that hard though since we got the tail end of the dynasty and were in middle school in when was hired.

I’m even contemplating getting to athletics myself to eventually take the AD job here as the end all for me in that career being that I’m still young enough.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just a small town kid born and raised in North Florida who grew up in a family where everyone else who gave a **** about sports and football liked either the Noles or the Gators.

Always was and still am that hard-headed younger brother

Wouldn't stop being a UM fan if we lost 100 in a row, rehired Al Golden and started playing our home games in David Beckham's soccer stadium.

Just in me

:stormwarningflag-sm:

Advertisement
It means a long, long walk back to the green lot and knowing you'll stupidly do it again next week.
Yea that walk is brutal. They could have kept green around the stadium and moved one orange lot across the street.

It means sitting 50 yard line upper deck OB at high noon vs. Temple with 6,149 of your closest friends.

Advertisement
I have to say, I appreciate reading these responses.. I will always love the University of Miami. I drive my girlfriend **** near bat ish crazy talking all things Miami football (although she is a lil cane herself now). She flew out to both Gators 13' and FSU 3 years ago with me and buddies. We were lower WEZ good times.

But, her family are Badger faithful.

My personal prediction this year was going to be 9-3 or 8-4. Maybe that will still be the case, but when the effing bowl game!

What to do with Manny after that type of season, I don't know. So far he's not looking too hot.

Canes.

Advertisement
I'm of the opinion that ever since we starting calling Miami "The U" around 2003/04 - we've sucked.

I'd like to people to stop saying "The U" based on nothing other than superstition. I facepalm when I hear "The U". Just say Miami. That's my branding .02
I agree.

Calling it "The U" and using the hand signal: I never heard or saw that while I was there from 1998 to 2002. After I graduated, everyone started calling it The U, the student section was throwing up the sign with their hands, and the program has been in decline.

I'm not drawing a cause and effect, but just for association purposes, I would not mind seeing those things go.

Dare I say we could retire the Turnover Chain, too?

Advertisement
Back