RB situation / heart of the problem

cscramon

Recruit
We are a div. 1 school ranked 8th in the nation with only one usable running back on the roster. Its obvious Gray, Dallas and Burns are not ready to step in and help in a high % of what our offense runs. CMR understands he situation and is playing accordingly. Homer is a good running back but not Walton and needs to be used gingerly the rest of the season. If he goes down , we will have to go with Gray as our starter the next 4 games. So winning ugly at this point with a struggling offense is more than acceptable.

Hope people in the know post more about it .

Go Canes.

Advertisement
Every team that will be in the playoff this year will be a power run team.

Depth is a huge issue for us, no doubt.

Until the ol actually moves the dl we won't be running the ball consistently

Right now... everyone will stack the box against the run. Someone needs to recognize this and counter it until they free up.
Nobody is running against 7-8 in the box. Right now teams are betting they have a better chance to win if they make our pass offense beat them.
So far no one has but it’s been close enough to not change the strategy

Advertisement
We are a div. 1 school ranked 8th in the nation with only one usable running back on the roster. Its obvious Gray, Dallas and Burns are not ready to step in and help in a high % of what our offense runs. CMR understands he situation and is playing accordingly. Homer is a good running back but not Walton and needs to be used gingerly the rest of the season. If he goes down , we will have to go with Gray as our starter the next 4 games. So winning ugly at this point with a struggling offense is more than acceptable.

Hope people in the know post more about it .

Go Canes.

I think is part of the problem and one of the reasons we are not consistent with the run game. In addition, I am not sure Homer has the greatest instincts, and really doesn't show as much patience as needed sometimes. Add to that Rosier being banged up and it's a real bad combination.

I don't find this to be an excuse. A lot of the offense's struggles are wrongly blamed on RIcht's placalling, but the running game isn't one of them. If he knows, just like all of us, that we are lacking in this department both in terms of depth and OL dominance, than why does he seemingly waste 10 drive killing plays a game trying power run?

The onus is on him to coach around are lack of prowess here (and to his credit, he has done that here and there) and realize that we have to be an unconventional running team. There's still no reason why we shouldn't be able to average at least 200 on the ground with our personnel.

Lol NC didn't even need to stack the box against the run. The OL is losing 1 v 1 consistently... Doesn't matter who is running the ball if we can't block

It’s obvious we throw to set up the run (not the other way around). When we aren’t completing passes, our running game is going to stall. Hence, yesterday’s game.

Advertisement
Right now... everyone will stack the box against the run. Someone needs to recognize this and counter it until they free up.
Nobody is running against 7-8 in the box. Right now teams are betting they have a better chance to win if they make our pass offense beat them.
So far no one has but it’s been close enough to not change the strategy

Pretty sure it is recognized. Richt said as much in his post game press conference. WR’s need to win their matchup and oline needs to protect. Rosier then has to hit them when it’s there. They just have to put it all together. When they are open we allow pressure or a tipped ball or an inaccurate pass. When we protect well nobody is open. When everything clicks we have JT for a 78 yard TD. More consistency is what’s been said for weeks and it’s true. We also need a few red zone and goal line wrinkles imo.

O-LINE line was brutal this week. I was at the game and McDermott was not a happy camper afterwards when taking to his family about it. When the one plays that bad it kills everything offensively. It was bad.

Agree with OP. Marks offenses have always had a strong power run game to them. In fact it's probably the best thing he brought to Georgia over the years, when you think of all the great running back's they had.

So I definitely agree that as a play caller he's hamstrung himself, because he loves to run to set up the pass.

We just aren't there yet - need a few more years of recruiting.

That is a problem Golden caused and Richt has fixed with this recruiting class. But this year it is a major problem. Nothing can be done this season and that is OK as it is year 2 not year 4.

Advertisement
Homer is a marquee P5 back, and he couldn't do anything against UNC. That has NOTHING to do with RB depth. There was nowhere to run.

I don't find this to be an excuse. A lot of the offense's struggles are wrongly blamed on RIcht's placalling, but the running game isn't one of them. If he knows, just like all of us, that we are lacking in this department both in terms of depth and OL dominance, than why does he seemingly waste 10 drive killing plays a game trying power run?

The onus is on him to coach around are lack of prowess here (and to his credit, he has done that here and there) and realize that we have to be an unconventional running team. There's still no reason why we shouldn't be able to average at least 200 on the ground with our personnel.

Average 200? Rushing yards? How and where?
SO MANY QUESTIONS! I've never been more dumbfounded by a post.
We have Homer and a guy that was just moved to runningback three weeks ago!

Advertisement
Homer needs to be used gingerly the rest of the season?? That's not how the coaches feel, he is still on special teams.

Our O Line got owned. This is the heart of all of our problems. No running game and dirty pockets to throw from

Average 200? Rushing yards? How and where?
SO MANY QUESTIONS! I've never been more dumbfounded by a post.
We have Homer and a guy that was just moved to runningback three weeks ago!

I'm not sure why you'd be dumbfounded seeing as currently average 160 now. You telling me we can't squeeze out another 40 yds per game? Between Homer, Rosier, a reverse here and there, or a toss?

Agree with OP. Marks offenses have always had a strong power run game to them. In fact it's probably the best thing he brought to Georgia over the years, when you think of all the great running back's they had.

So I definitely agree that as a play caller he's hamstrung himself, because he loves to run to set up the pass.

We just aren't there yet - need a few more years of recruiting.
Is it all a talent issue though? I mean we struggled against the inferior teams we played this year. So sure maybe talent isn’t fully there but I don’t think it tells the whole story

Advertisement
Back