RB situation / heart of the problem

Their D-Line murdered us yesterday. Consistent pressure and they were knocking down passes all game.

Our big men didn't show up for work. They took UNC the same way that we fans did all week.

No doubt and it started from the very first play. Darling pulled and went to his knees like the local town "head master" in a feeble attempt to cut the LB. LB mushed him into the ground, Darling tripped Gauthier, and the DB drove Richards back and put him on his *** after he tripped over Darling. Who was still on the ground.

Another play, and i'm picking on Darling, was Choc's only carry of the game. Darling pulled around the center and got put on his butt by the LB, who then proceeded to make the tackle after a short gain.

Not our best day on the Oline.

Darling is like 6'5 330. Played tackle his whole life..doesnt have that much balance...and is asked to pull alot...sounds about right

Nope not getting out of this one. He's been soft, lazy, and not very motivated his whole career. Sucks we have to play him. I heard for years on this board that we played him out of position and he was a natural fit for being an OG. I always argued the guy was soft as **** with no nasty which is a prereq for great OG play

What changed yesterday? He was getting the job done against GT and played well the first few games, but yesterday he was bad, real bad. Wasn't just him though. OUr whole interior line got owned for the majority of the game.

The OLine stayed up all night Friday night in their hotel room binge watching "Cupcake Wars" and painting each others toe nails.

I hope they read this.

Puzzies. Section 144, row 26, you panzies. Show me I'm wrong.

Advertisement
You can see the lack of intensity the entire game. That's on Rick. HC has to find a way to push the right buttons every week. That's the genius of Sabag. It's not the X's and O's; it's the way he pushes buttons and gets effort out of his team every week no matter who they are playing.

I think a lot of that with Saban is the 5 star meat grinder he's got going. If you don't play hard, the next guy on the roster is just as highly touted and will take your job.

He’s the most successful HC in the history of college football because he doesn’t allow his team to slip mentally. His outbursts and his angry schtick with the media is all part of it. He’s a master of pushing buttons.

There have been dozens of coaches over the years who have recruited tons of talent and never got anywhere near the results he has. Sometimes, you just gotta recognize game.

Chise is right here. There isn't much difference between the defensive roster of the F(*Ksticks up north and Sabans team. however Saban will cut the heart out of anyone not giving 100%. He doesn't care what kind of talent or NFL prospect you are. He will bench you and pull your scholly for giving less than 1000% percent. Very much part of Saban's genius.

Chise is also right when he said that yesterday's lack of emotion and life is on Richt. That is one of the main things a HC can control and it's something that the best always do well.

Parcells always said that getting his team prepared mentally and emotionally every week was his number one job as a HC. The true greats are the best button pushers.

Jimmy Johnson post '86. Dude basically never lost another "big game". (I still think Vinny threw that game).

I am behind ya'll with the sentiment on the offensive line, in that, they aren't playing with intensity and they, in many instances, are playing like ****. However, its not as if our running game is lacking from a ypc standpoint. Its fine (5.2ypc). Its slanted by the long runs, sure (however, we are only average in that category as well), but I see an offense that simply needs to commit more to running the football a little more. Whether its with Homer or using Rosier, we need to run the ball more for reasons I've explained many times, ****** OL be damned. We have a horrendous third down conversion rate. Lacking a consistent attempt at running the ball on 1st and 2nd down is one of the reasons for this. We are one of the worst in the nation in third down conversion. We are in the bottom of the country in time of possession. Bottom 5 in the Power 5 in both categories. Lacking a running attack in volume is the reason behind that. Teams worse then us...UNC (if they were even a fraction better in both categories, they beat us on Saturday, fwiw).

If you're going to pass, do what we've done in a bind...use the bubble screens to the slot and TE...it was really effective when we've actually utilized it. However, we have a lot of wasted downs on pass plays that are not situation smart. I'm not even a fan of bubbles, screens, and flares to the backs...but it'd be more effective in games on early downs then say downfield or slower developing routes we have been running. Also, something we've gotten away from, the slants and skinny posts to the BIG wide receivers on our team (Cager, Langham, etc). Rosier is inaccurate with ball placement...having WRs with big catch radius offset that inaccuracy and we've gotten away from it putting Rosier in a place where he's not as successful with ball placement. Another reason we are not staying on the field and converting.

Lots of "little ****" that can be done from a playcalling perspective that doesn't reinvent the wheel with what we are trying to do, but would have a pretty big impact on how these games turn out ultimately, on Saturdays, IMO.

I don't find this to be an excuse. A lot of the offense's struggles are wrongly blamed on RIcht's placalling, but the running game isn't one of them. If he knows, just like all of us, that we are lacking in this department both in terms of depth and OL dominance, than why does he seemingly waste 10 drive killing plays a game trying power run?

The onus is on him to coach around are lack of prowess here (and to his credit, he has done that here and there) and realize that we have to be an unconventional running team. There's still no reason why we shouldn't be able to average at least 200 on the ground with our personnel.

Average 200? Rushing yards? How and where?
SO MANY QUESTIONS! I've never been more dumbfounded by a post.
We have Homer and a guy that was just moved to runningback three weeks ago!

I'm not sure why you'd be dumbfounded seeing as currently average 160 now. You telling me we can't squeeze out another 40 yds per game? Between Homer, Rosier, a reverse here and there, or a toss?

We've rushed for 601 yards in our 5 p5 games.
120.2 ypg.
That's 80 yards, or 20 more running plays.
We are already in the bottom third in the nation in plays per game.
We have to figure out how to sustain drives. Period.
Running, passing, whatever.

We seriously have like 8 running plays. Rosier, Homer, Gray, and Thomas on 1 reverse are the only ppl who have touched the ball on a positive run this season. Four people.... We have ran motion on a running play zero times. There is jack **** zero eye candy for the defense to take. If Homer gets the ball and starts running to his left than every defender can haul *** after him with nothing else to think about.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back