RB situation / heart of the problem

That's a sign of intensity. When you get pounded at the point of attack like we did yesterday that means that UNC was outworking us. It was their Super Bowl, and we didn't show up.

Their D-Line murdered us yesterday. Consistent pressure and they were knocking down passes all game.

Our big men didn't show up for work. They took UNC the same way that we fans did all week.

No doubt and it started from the very first play. Darling pulled and went to his knees like the local town "head master" in a feeble attempt to cut the LB. LB mushed him into the ground, Darling tripped Gauthier, and the DB drove Richards back and put him on his *** after he tripped over Darling. Who was still on the ground.

Another play, and i'm picking on Darling, was Choc's only carry of the game. Darling pulled around the center and got put on his butt by the LB, who then proceeded to make the tackle after a short gain.

Not our best day on the Oline.

Darling is like 6'5 330. Played tackle his whole life..doesnt have that much balance...and is asked to pull alot...sounds about right

Nope not getting out of this one. He's been soft, lazy, and not very motivated his whole career. Sucks we have to play him. I heard for years on this board that we played him out of position and he was a natural fit for being an OG. I always argued the guy was soft as **** with no nasty which is a prereq for great OG play

What changed yesterday? He was getting the job done against GT and played well the first few games, but yesterday he was bad, real bad. Wasn't just him though. OUr whole interior line got owned for the majority of the game.

Advertisement
Trevor Darling has looked like absolute garbage every game this year. We need Cleveland Reed and Delone Scaife ASAP.

I know that sounds crazy expecting true freshman to contribute next year on the interior offensive line.
But Mahoney has looked horrible, Gauthier has not improved from last year and Donaldson is raw. I'm sure Donaldson will be fine but we're going to need some new blood because we are generating ZERO push in the run game.

When a defense knows we can't line up and whoop them, they force Rosier to beat them and we all know that he has his issues.

Without a legit O-Line we're going to see this team continue to struggle like we have been on offense.

Our big men didn't show up for work. They took UNC the same way that we fans did all week.

No doubt and it started from the very first play. Darling pulled and went to his knees like the local town "head master" in a feeble attempt to cut the LB. LB mushed him into the ground, Darling tripped Gauthier, and the DB drove Richards back and put him on his *** after he tripped over Darling. Who was still on the ground.

Another play, and i'm picking on Darling, was Choc's only carry of the game. Darling pulled around the center and got put on his butt by the LB, who then proceeded to make the tackle after a short gain.

You can see the lack of intensity the entire game. That's on Rick. HC has to find a way to push the right buttons every week. That's the genius of Sabag. It's not the X's and O's; it's the way he pushes buttons and gets effort out of his team every week no matter who they are playing.

I think a lot of that with Saban is the 5 star meat grinder he's got going. If you don't play hard, the next guy on the roster is just as highly touted and will take your job.

He’s the most successful HC in the history of college football because he doesn’t allow his team to slip mentally. His outbursts and his angry schtick with the media is all part of it. He’s a master of pushing buttons.

There have been dozens of coaches over the years who have recruited tons of talent and never got anywhere near the results he has. Sometimes, you just gotta recognize game.

Chise is right here. There isn't much difference between the defensive roster of the F(*Ksticks up north and Sabans team. however Saban will cut the heart out of anyone not giving 100%. He doesn't care what kind of talent or NFL prospect you are. He will bench you and pull your scholly for giving less than 1000% percent. Very much part of Saban's genius.

Chise is also right when he said that yesterday's lack of emotion and life is on Richt. That is one of the main things a HC can control and it's something that the best always do well.

Trevor Darling has looked like absolute garbage every game this year. We need Cleveland Reed and Delone Scaife ASAP.

I know that sounds crazy expecting true freshman to contribute next year on the interior offensive line.
But Mahoney has looked horrible, Gauthier has not improved from last year and Donaldson is raw. I'm sure Donaldson will be fine but we're going to need some new blood because we are generating ZERO push in the run game.

When a defense knows we can't line up and whoop them, they force Rosier to beat them and we all know that he has his issues.

Without a legit O-Line we're going to see this team continue to struggle like we have been on offense.

He was bad in the UNC game. There were holes for Homer, but then Mahoney would get his *** pancaked and Homer had nowhere to go.

We are a couple road-graders away from having a good run game again. And I think those OL are on the roster, just need 2 years in weight room.

You can see the lack of intensity the entire game. That's on Rick. HC has to find a way to push the right buttons every week. That's the genius of Sabag. It's not the X's and O's; it's the way he pushes buttons and gets effort out of his team every week no matter who they are playing.

I think a lot of that with Saban is the 5 star meat grinder he's got going. If you don't play hard, the next guy on the roster is just as highly touted and will take your job.

He’s the most successful HC in the history of college football because he doesn’t allow his team to slip mentally. His outbursts and his angry schtick with the media is all part of it. He’s a master of pushing buttons.

There have been dozens of coaches over the years who have recruited tons of talent and never got anywhere near the results he has. Sometimes, you just gotta recognize game.

Chise is right here. There isn't much difference between the defensive roster of the F(*Ksticks up north and Sabans team. however Saban will cut the heart out of anyone not giving 100%. He doesn't care what kind of talent or NFL prospect you are. He will bench you and pull your scholly for giving less than 1000% percent. Very much part of Saban's genius.

Chise is also right when he said that yesterday's lack of emotion and life is on Richt. That is one of the main things a HC can control and it's something that the best always do well.

Bullsh!t. The reason Bama doesn't slip up and have let down games is because they have so much fvckin developed blue chipper talent. You think Bama doesn't get complacent against inferior opponents? You'd be wrong. It's only natural to let your guard down every now and then.

They are just so good it doesn't matter. Early 2000 Canes were that way.

Advertisement
Homer needs to be used gingerly the rest of the season?? That's not how the coaches feel, he is still on special teams.

which is flat out stupid, I don't care if he's an all american gunner

if that guy goes down, this season... rofl

Parcells always said that getting his team prepared mentally and emotionally every week was his number one job as a HC. The true greats are the best button pushers.

Our offense suffers because our OL is getting whipped up front and we can't establish the run. Mark Walton hid a lot of the OL deficiencies with his running, cutting ability and elusiveness. Homer doesn't have that. Until we get an OL that can push a DL back, we will not push for the College Football playoff picture.

Lol NC didn't even need to stack the box against the run. The OL is losing 1 v 1 consistently... Doesn't matter who is running the ball if we can't block
This right here. It has nothing to do with Homer or lack of depth. The run blocking has simply been abysmal. Walton would not have fared any better behind our OL yesterday.

Walton had his share of games last year where he got stuffed just like Homer did yesterday. Guys are confusing depth issues with a mediocre run game.

you mean a below mediocre offensive line I hope

yesterday was brutal, that wasn't even close to mediocre

Advertisement

Bullsh!t. The reason Bama doesn't slip up and have let down games is because they have so much fvckin developed blue chipper talent. You think Bama doesn't get complacent against inferior opponents? You'd be wrong. It's only natural to let your guard down every now and then.

They are just so good it doesn't matter. Early 2000 Canes were that way.

Florida state has just as much talent on their defense this year so why are they getting their **** pushed in? They don't have significant injuries on that side of the ball. lets count the 5*s
James
Mcfadden
Sweat
Burns
Marvin Austin
Samuels
Thomas
Kaindoh
The rest of the defense is littered with high 4* like nandi, christmas, and Kyle Myers.

Why are they getting worn out? Because they don't care. Read Chise post about Bill Parcels above about his most important job being getting his team prepared mentaly and emotionally every week. It's actually the ONE thing that a coach can control fully.

Alabama - 47 rush attempts per game 6.3ypc 32:44TOP
Georgia - 47 rush attempts per game 6.0ypc 32:46TOP
Notre Dame - 46 rush attempts per game 6.9ypc 29TOP
Ohio State - 41 rush attempts per game 5.9ypc 28:28TOP
Penn State - 34 attempts per game 4.8ypc 29:41TOP
Clemson - 43 attempts per game 5ypc 30:53TOP
Wisconsin - 47 attempts per game 5.2ypc 34:59TOP
Oklahoma - 38 attempts per game 5.6ypc 31:09TOP

Miami - 32 attempts per game 5.2ypc 26:39TOP

This play, to me, shows why we miss Walton.

Go to 1:07:32

DL pinches, OL doesn't create a hole, and Homer runs right into the pile. It's less a knock on Homer, and more an illustration of why we're missing Walton. No doubt that Walton is able to bounce that outside where 2 WRs are in a great position to block for him. Easy first down with Walton at RB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIEqYyPyUA

/Mahoney got abused all game. We need Donaldson back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the Root of the problem! Not RB talent

How can you deny that we have a talent issue at RB? With Walton injured and gone to the NFL we only have Homer in the backfield. He's a good back, but he's not elite. So Fla has elite backs and the good news is they are on their way.

The point I was trying to make when I started the thread is that CMR cannot run the offense he way he wants to. If he runs Homer 35 to 30 times a game and loses him for the year, there are no backups for the rest of the season. He needs to adjust and play gingerly. This is why our offense is suffering the consequences of not having any depth. Gray and Dallas are not ready.

This play, to me, shows why we miss Walton.

Go to 1:07:32

DL pinches, OL doesn't create a hole, and Homer runs right into the pile. It's less a knock on Homer, and more an illustration of why we're missing Walton. No doubt that Walton is able to bounce that outside where 2 WRs are in a great position to block for him. Easy first down with Walton at RB.

/Mahoney got abused all game. We need Donaldson back.

I think that's the perception, but not the reality with Walton vs. Homer. That was a 1st & 10 play, and 10+ yd carries in the ACC were rare for Walton.

Vs. FSU, GT & UNC - Walton had 4 carries of 10+ yds in his 89 career carries. His longest was 17 yards.

Vs. FSU, GT & UNC - Homer has 11 carries of 10+ yds in his 39 career carries.

Homer is much more of a straight line runner - but what we gain in his speed, power, and explosiveness far outweighs what we lose in Walton with his cutting ability.

Advertisement
Our O Line got owned. This is the heart of all of our problems. No running game and dirty pockets to throw from

That's a sign of intensity. When you get pounded at the point of attack like we did yesterday that means that UNC was outworking us. It was their Super Bowl, and we didn't show up.

All of this. We were sleep walking half assing it. Heel the defense didn't even get excited about the turnover chain. Think it was Jackson was like yaaawn

We do miss Walton, and we do have a depth issue at RB no denying that. But the crux of problem is obviously the OL. Cant run inside and especially outside. Time and time again when we tried running outside their DL had made the push and were in our backfield. Consistently lost 2-3 yards every time.
Was motivation at fault, perhaps to small degree, but this is not a new issue. We have been hurting at the running game and failing to pick up 3 yards or less 3rd downs for 5-7 years running

Our O Line got owned. This is the heart of all of our problems. No running game and dirty pockets to throw from

That right there. I've said it a million times in the last three days, I don't think anyone really properly appreciates just how much Duke and UNC HATE OUR GUTS. I honestly don't even think Miami fans, who know that everyone hates us, truly appreciate just how much they can't stand that we even exist, much less are allowed entry to their little cun try club. Frankly, it's just started dawning on me. But to see the heat on the field, the chipiness, the upside down U's coming out of a 1-7 squad with nothing to play for...

I think (and hope) that you're right, 'Chise. UNC just played by far their best game of the year, and we played our worst. We'll find out on Saturday, I guess.

Last edited:
The only back who can run against some of what we've seen lately is Barry Sanders.

Somehow we've been fortunate enough to reach this point undefeated, and VT generally has an approach that plays to our strengths and not our weakness. However, ND will play to our weakness HEAVILY, and if we can't run the ball and keep asking Rosier to throw into coverage at some point it'll fall apart. That's not the worst thing in the world as this team is not really a title contender, but we have seen a couple of persistent issues in the Richt era.

Advertisement
Back