RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

People need to remember as well that with Parrish leaving Fletcher is the most experienced returning rusher and he likely is missing at least a part of the season. Martinez at worst gives you an experienced guy to lead that room who also happens to be really good at RB. He might not break a bunch of 75 yard runs but he will move the chains and he essentially is what you hope Fletcher develops into. Guys like Johnson and Humphries are the speed backs that come in after this guy wears the defense down to break the long runs.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Allen left as well

The room has needed a major upgrade for a long time and Mario said they’re going to be aggressive. To this point when the dude has said we are going for it, he’s delivered so I’m optimistic

Advertisement
The transformation has been something to behold. Congrats! #jvdontmiss
In the era of pay-to-win, you're only as strong as the funds you can bring to the table. My transformation has a lot less to do with faith in Mario and a lot more in the infrastructure in place around him. I'll be the first to call for his head if we cant capitalize this season.

Wanted to follow up on this today… ever wonder why DJU had an above average season last year? This was due to Martinez and his ability to consistently gain 6 yards vs 8/9 in box. Go back and look at these Beav games. DJU is throwing vs man 75% of the time.

Canes backs were good last year (not great). It’s also the reason TVD was forced to beat cover 3 so much, the running game didn’t have that DOG. Hasn’t since DeeJay. It’s a game changer. Martinez is a legit NFL prospect.

My comp would be Samaje Perine.
8/9 in a box???

Mario:

My Song Party GIF by Beat Shazam

Advertisement
When money is involved, nothing is ever set in stone…that’s for sure. I agree with the pole position point and just think Mario will act swiftly here instead of waiting around and seeing what enters. There might be max 1-3 backs better than him that test the market, it’s whether or not Mario wants to take that risk and wait it out.
Tbh 1-3 might be pushing it. Only backs better than him that would enter portal would be the ones who already know where they’re going.

Which I also think is the case for Martinez

In the era of pay-to-win, you're only as strong as the funds you can bring to the table. My transformation has a lot less to do with faith in Mario and a lot more in the infrastructure in place around him. I'll be the first to call for his head if we cant capitalize this season.
It’s always been pay-to-win. All NIL did was allow schools/players to be transparent about it.

Look at it this way. He’d be the best running back on the team even if Fletcher was healthy. He doesn’t have explosive long range speed at 230 but he’s got a bit more giddy-up than Fletcher does at roughly the same weight. The list of full time P5/4 running backs with a career ypc over 6 is very short. He is an NFL running back and would benefit greatly by playing with an NFL quarterback. Huge upgrade to our RB room if this comes through.

Advertisement
Look at it this way. He’d be the best running back on the team even if Fletcher was healthy. He doesn’t have explosive long range speed at 230 but he’s got a bit more giddy-up than Fletcher does at roughly the same weight. The list of full time P5/4 running backs with a career ypc over 6 is very short. He is an NFL running back and would benefit greatly by playing with an NFL quarterback. Huge upgrade to our RB room if this comes through.
If canes sign any RB even close to Martinez we’re cooking with grease.

Advertisement
I would think that Martinez is looking at the entire picture before he picks a school.

NIL ✅
Strong qb ✅
Depth chart ✅

And this one is a big one
Oline ✅

No way he leaves a top 10-15 oline to go somewhere that doesn’t have that. We fill all the boxes.

Hopefully he thinks about all of these things and doesn’t just take upfront cash. Going from a top oline to one that doesn’t open holes can expose any weakness he may have.

Not comparing him to king Henry but an aging rb left a ground and pound team for another team that loves to establish the run and not just willing to pay him more.

Advertisement
does anyone know what our payroll is?

this is the same fanbase that thought Gus Edwards ran too upright or something like that...meanwhile how many years has he been in the league?
to be fair, Gus avoided contact and wasn't used properly here.

to be fair, Gus avoided contact and wasn't used properly here.
Yeah that’s because Coley is a dumbass. Oh it’s 4th and 2? Let’s put in Gus with 1FB, 3TEs and run up the middle.

“Holy **** it didn’t work?! How did they know?”

Really wish Jedd Fisch hung around another 1/2 years. Us not being able to to see him use Duke in 2013/14 wasn’t fair.

Yeah that’s because Coley is a dumbass. Oh it’s 4th and 2? Let’s put in Gus with 1FB, 3TEs and run up the middle.

“Holy **** it didn’t work?! How did they know?”

Really wish Jedd Fisch hung around another 1/2 years. Us not being able to to see him use Duke in 2013/14 wasn’t fair.
agreed.

Advertisement
Back