RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

gorilla GIF

Nothing like a big back to set the tone.

Advertisement
He's not being brought here to be a change of pace speedster, he's being brought to be the replacement battering ram for Fletcher.

But here's the kicker, he's significantly better, has more wiggle & is durable.

RB is a position where you don't necessarily have to have great speed in order to be good at it. Sure it helps & you'd prefer to have a back with elite speed over one without, but it's not a prerequisite that would prevent you from bringing in an already proven commodity such as Martinez.

The top 10 rushers in the NFL last season:

Christian McCaffrey - 4.48
Derrick Henry - 4.54
Kyren Williams - 4.65
James Cook - 4.42
D'Andre Swift - 4.48
James Conner - 4.65
Najee Harris - 4.55/4.6
Joe Mixon - 4.45
David Montgomery - 4.58
Raheem Mostert - 4.38

Speed is most important at CB & WR, it's also important at RB, but not as deal-breaking as it would be at those other positions.

And I'm not so sure why his speed would even come up in this discussion, most of yall were very happy with Fletcher when he was a recruit in HS & watching him last year as a TF & his speed (or lack thereof) never really came up at all & newsflash, he's slow... ****, quite a bit of yall think Citizen could be special a back if he were ever to be healthy & he's not very fast either.

Toughness & physicality is more important than speed & finesse;
#BeLikeGeorgia
#BeLikeMichigan

Remember?
I agree Pure Speed isn't very important for RB. I think Speed Score is better specifically for RBs. Wouldn't draft based on it, but If you really like a guys film who has a high speed score, and he's falling I'd take my chances. And if I liked a guy with a low speed score, I'd re-evaluate. Above 100 is the target to be like above average. Kyren Williams Is a major outlier though... Anyways not sure if that 4.59 that someone posted earlier for Martinez is accurate, but if it is that'd be about a 105 Speed Score. Compared to top draft picks over last few years plus Former Miami RBs:

> 115 ------ Martinez would need to run a 4.48s 40 to get a 115 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Isaac Guerendo: 125.74
Saquon Barkley: 124.33
Jonathan Taylor: 121.70
Isaiah Pacheco: 118.46
AJ Dillon: 117.31
Breece Hall: 116.85
Trey Benson: 116.31
Derrick Henry: 116.3
Leonard Fournette: 116.02

> 110 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.53s 40 to get a 110 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Kenneth Walker: 114.66
Zeke Elliot: 112.7
Rashaad Penny: 111.20
Gibbs: 110.14

>105 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.58s 40 to get a 105 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Nick Chubb: 108.77
Cam Akers: 108.71
Bijan: 108.67
Travis Etienne: 108.67
Achane: 107.96
Rachaad White: 106.25

>100 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.64s 40 to get a 100 Speed Score at 232 lbs
James Cook: 104.28
Miles Sanders: 103.83
Dalvin Cook: 102.42
Alvin Kamara: 101.64
Aaron Jones: 101.44
Sony Michel: 100.74
Tony Pollard: 100.62
Tyler Allgeier: 100.06

> 95 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.70s 40 to get a 95 Speed Score at 232 lb
Travis Homer: 99.8
Christian McCaffrey: 99.40
James Conner: 98.82
Deejay Dallas: 98.63
Duke Johnson: 97.4
Blake Corum: 97.36
David Montgomery: 96.62
Rhamondre Stevenson: 95.89
Zach Moss: 95.39

< 95 ----
Javonte Williams: 94.70
Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 92.46
Mark Walton: 90.23
Devin Singletary: 86.10
Kyren Williams: 82.99

I agree Pure Speed isn't very important for RB. I think Speed Score is better specifically for RBs. Wouldn't draft based on it, but If you really like a guys film who has a high speed score, and he's falling I'd take my chances. And if I liked a guy with a low speed score, I'd re-evaluate. Above 100 is the target to be like above average. Kyren Williams Is a major outlier though... Anyways not sure if that 4.59 that someone posted earlier for Martinez is accurate, but if it is that'd be about a 105 Speed Score. Compared to top draft picks over last few years plus Former Miami RBs:

> 115 ------ Martinez would need to run a 4.48s 40 to get a 115 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Isaac Guerendo: 125.74
Saquon Barkley: 124.33
Jonathan Taylor: 121.70
Isaiah Pacheco: 118.46
AJ Dillon: 117.31
Breece Hall: 116.85
Trey Benson: 116.31
Derrick Henry: 116.3
Leonard Fournette: 116.02

> 110 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.53s 40 to get a 110 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Kenneth Walker: 114.66
Zeke Elliot: 112.7
Rashaad Penny: 111.20
Gibbs: 110.14

>105 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.58s 40 to get a 105 Speed Score at 232 lbs
Nick Chubb: 108.77
Cam Akers: 108.71
Bijan: 108.67
Travis Etienne: 108.67
Achane: 107.96
Rachaad White: 106.25

>100 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.64s 40 to get a 100 Speed Score at 232 lbs
James Cook: 104.28
Miles Sanders: 103.83
Dalvin Cook: 102.42
Alvin Kamara: 101.64
Aaron Jones: 101.44
Sony Michel: 100.74
Tony Pollard: 100.62
Tyler Allgeier: 100.06

> 95 ---- Martinez would need to run a 4.70s 40 to get a 95 Speed Score at 232 lb
Travis Homer: 99.8
Christian McCaffrey: 99.40
James Conner: 98.82
Deejay Dallas: 98.63
Duke Johnson: 97.4
Blake Corum: 97.36
David Montgomery: 96.62
Rhamondre Stevenson: 95.89
Zach Moss: 95.39

< 95 ----
Javonte Williams: 94.70
Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 92.46
Mark Walton: 90.23
Devin Singletary: 86.10
Kyren Williams: 82.99
The most telling thing here is that there are good backs in every tranche.

Advertisement

Does Michigan State have the NIL to compete with us? Also feel like he'd be there by now if he wanted to follow Smith. Ole Miss and Tennessee certainly have the funds but Ole Miss got Diggs from LSU to transfer and reading that Tennessee isnt expected to pursue a portal RB.

Does Michigan State have the NIL to compete with us? Also feel like he'd be there by now if he wanted to follow Smith. Ole Miss and Tennessee certainly have the funds.
They have Ishiba the Suns owner bankrolling a ton of their NIL I think? So in theory yes, but you’d think there’s a reason he didn’t follow Smith up there in the first place.

I really do think this will end up being an us vs. Ole Miss, maybe Tennessee battle. Or Oregon (not listed).

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is our guy and all the comments regarding other RBs are smokescreens. Just my opinion though. I think we identified him very early on and this is just a formal behavior to not show tampering, the whole “we’ll consider him and wait for other entries” point. Jordan Addison-esque if you will.

Listen, this is why it’s about to get scary.

1) Damien constantly ran against stacked boxes, as Beavs didn’t go vertical enough to scare teams into respecting their passing attack.

2) Cam Ward constantly had to do it by himself & take risks into tight windows as they had ZERO running game at WSU.

Neither of these players have ever had the yin to their yang. The pair of Ward & Martinez is lethal. All y’all downplaying him is wild. Ward about to light this ***** up, Martinez is the dude canes need to finish drives and stabilize the running attack. He’s a top 15 back in America.
Wanted to follow up on this today… ever wonder why DJU had an above average season last year? This was due to Martinez and his ability to consistently gain 6 yards vs 8/9 in box. Go back and look at these Beav games. DJU is throwing vs man 75% of the time.

Canes backs were good last year (not great). It’s also the reason TVD was forced to beat cover 3 so much, the running game didn’t have that DOG. Hasn’t since DeeJay. It’s a game changer. Martinez is a legit NFL prospect.

My comp would be Samaje Perine.

Advertisement
They have Ishiba the Suns owner bankrolling a ton of their NIL I think? So in theory yes, but you’d think there’s a reason he didn’t follow Smith up there in the first place.

I really do think this will end up being an us vs. Ole Miss, maybe Tennessee battle. Or Oregon (not listed).

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is our guy and all the comments regarding other RBs are smokescreens. Just my opinion though. I think we identified him very early on and this is just a formal behavior to not show tampering, the whole “well consider him and wait for other entries” point. Jordan Addison-esque if you will.
Re: Ole Miss, I think there's a reason why Parrish hasn't committed there yet. That said, Logan Diggs had 120 carries in 9 games last year at LSU and they have Ulysses Bentley coming back who rushed for over 500 yards, so I don't know if he'd have a clearer path to carries at Ole Miss versus Miami, especially with Fletcher potentially out.

Yea sorta? He doesn't have Homer's speed and he's significantly bigger. I also think his vision and balance are a little better. If you gave him Homer's speed he'd be a video game cheat.
I don’t see it. The lateral movement paired with ability to shift in and out of cuts is Martinez by a mile. Homer always looked like the tin man anytime the lane broke down.

Really wish CMR would’ve experimented Travis at DB, was very good at it in HS and to this day is an absolute gunner on special teams. He’s an old school player no doubt.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is our guy and all the comments regarding other RBs are smokescreens. Just my opinion though. I think we identified him very early on and this is just a formal behavior to not show tampering, the whole “we’ll consider him and wait for other entries” point. Jordan Addison-esque if you will.
He did but no longer does NIL bc he’s a pro sports team owner and there were questions about conflict of interest. I’m sure he finds ways to get money to the school but not directly from Wholesale Mortgage anymore. He was giving $700/month to every athlete I believe.

There’s also a bunch of OU and Tenn fans in the comments saying they have plenty of depth at the position, so RB is not high on their list of Spring additions.

OU currently has Gavin Sawchuk (120/764/9) returning + Taylor Tatum the #1 2024 RB, along with Javonte Barnes (156 yds last season but 500+ the year prior) and talented young guy Kalib Hicks (#8 RB in 2023 class).

Tenn has some youth in their room but it seems like they’ve performed very well in the spring. @FrostyVFL your guys think Huepel will go big fish hunting at RB in the portal? Or stick to other positions like on defense?

Advertisement

I will say, this is by no means a done deal to Miami. I also think talk of others jumping in isnt just a smokescreen. A lot goes into these things the normal fan cant fathom. Either way, we're in pole position to upgrade our roster in a major way.

There’s also a bunch of OU and Tenn fans in the comments saying they have plenty of depth at the position, so RB is not high on their list of Spring additions.

OU currently has Gavin Sawchuk (120/764/9) returning + Taylor Tatum the #1 2024 RB, along with Javonte Barnes (156 yds last season but 500+ the year prior) and talented young guy Kalib Hicks (#8 RB in 2023 class).

Tenn has some youth in their room but it seems like they’ve performed very well in the spring. @FrostyVFL your guys think Huepel will go big fish hunting at RB in the portal? Or stick to other positions like on defense?
I think Heup MIGHT, because we use so many RBs. But a big time guy, idk. Sampson and Seldon are 1 and 2. Bruisers are Khalifa Keith and Keith Bishop but they were both 3 stars. Never know with portal though, better to have too many than not enough.

Advertisement
I will say, this is by no means a done deal to Miami. I also think talk of others jumping in isnt just a smokescreen. A lot goes into these things the normal fan cant fathom. Either way, we're in pole position to upgrade our roster in a major way.
When money is involved, nothing is ever set in stone…that’s for sure. I agree with the pole position point and just think Mario will act swiftly here instead of waiting around and seeing what enters. There might be max 1-3 backs better than him that test the market, it’s whether or not Mario wants to take that risk and wait it out.

To me this kid is exactly what the board was begging for last year

Fletcher with great vision
People need to remember as well that with Parrish leaving Fletcher is the most experienced returning rusher and he likely is missing at least a part of the season. Martinez at worst gives you an experienced guy to lead that room who also happens to be really good at RB. He might not break a bunch of 75 yard runs but he will move the chains and he essentially is what you hope Fletcher develops into. Guys like Johnson and Humphries are the speed backs that come in after this guy wears the defense down to break the long runs.

The transformation has been something to behold. Congrats! #jvdontmiss

Advertisement
Back