RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

Advertisement
So is he coming for sure?
No one is going to say it because that would invite tampering investigations

He just hit the portal afterall

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Advertisement
My concern here is tampering. I know all schools do it, but everybody here knows the NCAA would jump at the opportunity to hit us with something. Plus, Oregon State's people are ****ED. Who knows what kinda allegations they'll make.

Pate really didn't do us any favors by saying we already knew who we were bringing in to replace Parrish. He's made some other comments too that implied tampering.

Can’t prove tampering if no one from Miami talked to the kid directly.

And why would they talk to him directly? The kids agent is down the street,

O’Gorman probably called someone at UM, floated a number, someone called back with a counter, and after a bit of negotiating they agreed on a number.

Kid jumps in the Portal, Miami contacts for fire time and invited him to visit, he agrees and if everything feels right he signs a deal for the agreed upon number.

Only way to prove tampering is if O’Gorman narcs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's not being brought here to be a change of pace speedster, he's being brought to be the replacement battering ram for Fletcher.

But here's the kicker, he's significantly better, has more wiggle & is durable.

RB is a position where you don't necessarily have to have great speed in order to be good at it. Sure it helps & you'd prefer to have a back with elite speed over one without, but it's not a prerequisite that would prevent you from bringing in an already proven commodity such as Martinez.

The top 10 rushers in the NFL last season:

Christian McCaffrey - 4.48
Derrick Henry - 4.54
Kyren Williams - 4.65
James Cook - 4.42
D'Andre Swift - 4.48
James Conner - 4.65
Najee Harris - 4.55/4.6
Joe Mixon - 4.45
David Montgomery - 4.58
Raheem Mostert - 4.38

Speed is most important at CB & WR, it's also important at RB, but not as deal-breaking as it would be at those other positions.

And I'm not so sure why his speed would even come up in this discussion, most of yall were very happy with Fletcher when he was a recruit in HS & watching him last year as a TF & his speed (or lack thereof) never really came up at all & newsflash, he's slow... ****, quite a bit of yall think Citizen could be special a back if he were ever to be healthy & he's not very fast either.

Toughness & physicality is more important than speed & finesse;
#BeLikeGeorgia
#BeLikeMichigan

Remember?

Last edited:
Advertisement
He's not being brought here to be a change of pace speedster, he's being brought to be the replacement battering ram for Fletcher.

But here's the kicker, he's significantly better, has more wiggle & is durable.

RB is a position where you don't necessarily have to have great speed in order to be good at it. Sure it helps & you'd prefer to have a back with elite speed over one without, but it's not a prerequisite that would prevent you from bringing in an already proven commodity such as Martinez.

The top 10 rushers in the NFL last season:

Christian McCaffrey - 4.48
Derrick Henry - 4.54
Kyren Williams - 4.65
James Cook - 4.42
D'Andre Swift - 4.48
James Conner - 4.65
Najee Harris - 4.55/4.6
Joe Mixon - 4.45
David Montgomery - 4.58
Raheem Mostert - 4.38

Speed is most important at CB & WR, it's also important at RB, but not as deal-breaking as it would be at those other positions.

And I'm not so sure why his speed would even come up in this discussion, most of yall were very happy with Fletcher when he was a recruit in HS & watching him last year as a TF & his speed (or lack thereof) never really came up at all & newsflash, he slow... ****, quite a bit of yall think Citizen could be special a back if he were ever to be healthy & he's not very fast either.

Toughness & physicality is more important than speed & finesse;
#BeLikeGeorgia
#BeLikeMichigan

Remember?
I want a game breaker I wish we were getting cals running back he can actually break long runs

Speed can make an otherwise very good RB great. But an otherwise average RB with speed is still just an average RB.

All the speed in the world can't help if you keep running into the back of your OL or out of bounds because your vision is poor, you're down at the slightest contact because your footwork and balance suck, or you struggle to stay on the field because you aren't durable.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Kids this good with guaranteed money don’t leave without having a home.. follow the signs.
They where not paying him what they said they where going to according to him

Advertisement
Back