Confirmed RB Coach Tim Harris Jr

Advertisement
Me personally i dont care where running backs get drafted in the nfl as long as they hit over that 5 ypc and over 1k rushing for the year for us.

Chaney , Knighton, Thad, Parrish careers arent over yet so they are unfinished with over 2+ years of play time.

I dont mind a mix of s.fla best with complete DOGS if your going out of state. We aint been hitting well when we go out of state as of late either.. DEEJAY Dallas was a dawg to me though.

Me personally i dont care where running backs get drafted in the nfl as long as they hit over that 5 ypc and over 1k rushing for the year for us.

Of the Top 50 College RB's last year

50% averaged 5.5 ypc
82% averaged 5.0 ypc

5.0 ypc is a very below average ypc. It's fine if you're happy with giving 200 carries a year to a 5.0 ypc RB. That's a perfectly ok season. But then you can't really get upset if we only win 7 games

Chaney , Knighton, Thad, Parrish careers aren't over yet so they are unfinished with over 2+ years of play time.

Knighton & Parrish are done. They can't get to 5.5 ypc. Chaney, very doubtful given his injuries. Thad would be a good bet, but he'll be getting a majority of his carries at Louisiana-monroe

But RB and OL kind of go hand in hand imo.

OL definitely has an effect on the stats & effectiveness of our RB's. But it has zero effect on a RB's talent. That's why Lamar Miller averages over 1 yard more in ypc when in the same back field as Damien Berry & Mike James (both NFL RB's). That's why Duke averages over 1 yard more than Dallas Crawford, Gus & Yearby when in the same backfield. It's not the OL keeping our RB's from averaging 5.5 ypc. It's the RB's talent level. Miller, Duke, Homer, Deejay could all average 5.7+.

I dont mind a mix of s.fla best with complete DOGS if your going out of state. We aint been hitting well when we go out of state as of late either.. DEEJAY Dallas was a dawg to me though.

What about Gus Edwards? He's easily the best NFL RB we've had since Duke by a very wide margin. He averaged 5.3 ypc at Miami - so only Homer & Yearby averaged more. And we'll see how Citizen does this year.

Who have we missed on out of state besides Cody Brown in the last 10 years?

Last edited:

Of the Top 50 College RB's last year

50% averaged 5.5 ypc
82% averaged 5.0 ypc

5.0 ypc is a very below average ypc. It's fine if you're happy with giving 200 carries a year to a 5.0 ypc RB. That's a perfectly ok season. But then you can't really get upset if we only win 7 games

Chaney , Knighton, Thad, Parrish careers aren't over yet so they are unfinished with over 2+ years of play time.

Knighton & Parrish are done. They can't get to 5.5 ypc. Chaney, very doubtful given his injuries. Thad would be a good bet, but he'll be getting a majority of his carries at Louisiana-monroe

But RB and OL kind of go hand in hand imo.

OL definitely has an effect on the stats & effectiveness of our RB's. But it has zero effect on a RB's talent. That's why Lamar Miller averages over 1 yard more in ypc when in the same back field as Damien Berry & Mike James (both NFL RB's). That's why Duke averages over 1 yard more than Dallas Crawford, Gus & Yearby when in the same backfield. It's not the OL keeping our RB's from averaging 5.5 ypc. It's the RB's talent level. Miller, Duke, Homer, Deejay could all average 5.7+.

What about Gus Edwards? He's easily the best NFL RB we've had since Duke by a very wide margin. He averaged 5.3 ypc at Miami - so only Homer & Yearby averaged more. And we'll see how Citizen does this year.

Who have we missed on out of state besides Cody Brown in the last 10 years?
- Im hoping for a 7 win szn this year, we won 5 last year.

* Willis Mcgahee in 2001, Frank Gore in 2004 and we both know those guys werent good for us with their under 5.5 ypc.

- I mean its kind of hard to run for a lot of yards per tote when you have alot int he box with no threats ont he outside( this yr) or no creativity( lashlee run game). But i do agree there are differences in talent level once you get into open field.

I dont know . I guess your saying we should do something different in recruiting ..and go outside of south florida more at the spot...but i never see you post who we should go after. Post who should we go after in this cycle. Legitimate guys that we possibly should have a chance with.

Advertisement
Ice gonna get whomever he wants out in south florida at RB

History shows recruiting plays out a bit differently in reality than on message boards and paper… I think he’ll be fine, but let’s review:

Ice Sr gonna get whomever he wants out in south florida

Coley gonna get whomever he wants out in south florida

Rumph gonna get whomever he wants out of Heritage

Mario gonna get whomever he wants out in south florida

….

History shows recruiting plays out a bit differently in reality than on message boards and paper… I think he’ll be fine, but let’s review:

….
Warning Annie Potts GIF by CBS

Advertisement
- Im hoping for a 7 win szn this year, we won 5 last year.

* Willis Mcgahee in 2001, Frank Gore in 2004 and we both know those guys werent good for us with their under 5.5 ypc.

- I mean its kind of hard to run for a lot of yards per tote when you have alot int he box with no threats ont he outside( this yr) or no creativity( lashlee run game). But i do agree there are differences in talent level once you get into open field.

I dont know . I guess your saying we should do something different in recruiting ..and go outside of south florida more at the spot...but i never see you post who we should go after. Post who should we go after in this cycle. Legitimate guys that we possibly should have a chance with.
5.5 ypc is a career benchmark to use for a RB. not every individual year. But you want your #1 RB to hit 5.5

McGahee - 5.9 career ypc. McGahee averaging 4.7 ypc in 2001 isn't an issue when he's the #3 guy behind Portis (5.5 ypc) & Gore (9.1 ypc)

Gore - 5.7 career ypc. Gore averaging 4.8 ypc (largely because he was coming off his 2nd ACL) in 2004 IS an issue when he's the #1 guy over other South Florida "studs" Tyrone Moss (4.4 ypc) and Charlie Jones (4.2 ypc). This is partly why we went 9-3 with losses to average 6 win UNC & 6 win Clemson teams.

I have no idea which RB's we legitimately have chances with. But it's not about individual players - it's about the mindset & approach.

I would've thought we'd have no chance pulling Trevonte Citizen out of LA. But you don't know unless you shoot your shot. So go shoot your shot with a Top 100 RB every year no matter where they're from. You don't need one every year - but you do need one every 3 years. Some years they'll be from South Florida, some years they won't.

The mentality that as long as we get one of the Top South Florida RB's every year is all we need to do because then we'll always have a stud is the wrong mentality IMO. It's just my opinion, but our last 20 years of RB recruits backs that opinion up.

Last edited:
5.5 ypc is a career benchmark to use for a RB. not every individual year. But you want your #1 RB to hit 5.5

McGahee - 5.9 career ypc. McGahee averaging 4.7 ypc in 2001 isn't an issue when he's the #3 guy behind Portis (5.5 ypc) & Gore (9.1 ypc)

Gore - 5.7 career ypc. Gore averaging 4.8 ypc (largely because he was coming off his 2nd ACL) in 2004 IS an issue when he's the #1 guy over other South Florida "studs" Tyrone Moss (4.4 ypc) and Charlie Jones (4.2 ypc). This is partly why we went 9-3 with losses to average 6 win UNC & 6 win Clemson teams.

I have no idea which RB's we legitimately have chances with. But it's not about individual players - it's about the mindset & approach.

I would've thought we'd have no chance pulling Trevonte Citizen out of LA. But you don't know unless you shoot your shot. So go shoot your shot with a Top 100 RB every year no matter where they're from. You don't need one every year - but you do need one every 3 years. Some years they'll be from South Florida, some years they won't.

The mentality that as long as we get one of the Top South Florida RB's every year is all we need to do because then we'll always have a stud is the wrong mentality IMO. It's just my opinion, but our last 20 years of RB recruits backs that opinion up.

I might be late to this conversation so maybe this was already stated, but I think the issue is that we've missed landing both elite and quality underrated runningbacks from South Fl.

Elite guys: Alex Collins, Dalvin Cook, James Cook, Kenny McIntosh
Under the radar guys: Devonte Freeman, Brandon Radcliff, Zack Moss, Devin Singletary

I think we would've had a lot more success had we gotten at least a few of these guys (although I think Lamar Miller, Duke, Walton, Homer and Dallas were pretty good).

But I agree with you that we have to go after the elite of the elite regardless of where they're from. Citizen was a big get despite the unfortunate injury.

….
the bolded was never said

Advertisement
I might be late to this conversation so maybe this was already stated, but I think the issue is that we've missed landing both elite and quality underrated runningbacks from South Fl.

Elite guys: Alex Collins, Dalvin Cook, James Cook, Kenny McIntosh
Under the radar guys: Devonte Freeman, Brandon Radcliff, Zack Moss, Devin Singletary

I think we would've had a lot more success had we gotten at least a few of these guys (although I think Lamar Miller, Duke, Walton, Homer and Dallas were pretty good).

But I agree with you that we have to go after the elite of the elite regardless of where they're from. Citizen was a big get despite the unfortunate injury.
3 of the 4 elite guys we spent alot of resources and tried our best to land.

The under the radar guys zack moss was a commit...freeman they slow played which was a mess up...Singletary and Radcliff misses.

The under the radar guys zack moss was a commit...freeman they slow played which was a mess up...Singletary and Radcliff misses.
Forgot to include Sony Michel. Also missing on Gio Bernard and James White (the 2 STA kids) hurt, although that was further back.

Hoping with a competent staff (which I hope we currently have, fingers crossed) we have less swing and misses, as well as less dudes that slip through the cracks. I like a lot of the dudes we got anyway, but man that's a ton of NFL quality that got away.

We don't have to land all of Collins, Michel, Cook, etc. (though that would ideal), we just need to land one every 3 years. That would mean guys like Yearby/Walton/Cam etc. move to a #2/3 role they're better suited to vs being our #1 RB. But there's not a Collins/Michel/Cook type if South Florida every year, so a lot of years we need to look further.

99% chance we never take the Singletary, Moss, Radcliff, Khalil Herbert types. They were all ranked outside the top 1,000 Nationally and not even in the Top 100 recruits in the state.

To take those type of RB's Mario & Harris need to have the combo of 2 things - be great evaluators and have A LOT of confidence in their own evals.

Advertisement

As I recall, major programs just didn't go after Singletary. Turns out everyone overlooked him.

Advertisement
Back