Ray Lewis, Is he the greatest hurricane of all time?

Advertisement
Its Hendrix. Everyone else is playing for second.

I'm sorry, but no one that played in the 60's is getting my GOAT vote; no way. So, Ted Hendricks CAN'T be the guy.

I really hope this is sarcasm. So hard to tell these days if it's sarcasm, dumb opinion, or twisted haiku.

It's not sarcasm. I am being dead @ss serious. The game wasn't fully racially integrated then, so he wasn't playing against the best talent

CFB didn't become integrated until the 70's.

I'm sorry, but no one that played in the 60's is getting my GOAT vote; no way. So, Ted Hendricks CAN'T be the guy.

I really hope this is sarcasm. So hard to tell these days if it's sarcasm, dumb opinion, or twisted haiku.

It's not sarcasm. I am being dead @ss serious. The game wasn't fully racially integrated then, so he wasn't playing against the best talent

Good point.

Good point.
BUT, when he played in the integrated NFL, a much more difficult league, he became one of the greatest players of all time. Hendricks is number one despite when he played.

Unfortunately I don't remember Hendricks at UM. He was a ******* baller at the Raiders.

For me and I admit don't know **** before 1982.
Ed Reed
Playmaker
Jerome Brown

Advertisement

Good point.
BUT, when he played in the integrated NFL, a much more difficult league, he became one of the greatest players of all time. Hendricks is number one despite when he played.

Look, Hendricks was great, and I am not hating on the man, but if you didn't play against the best talent in college, that removes you from the GOAT "college" player discussion. Great college player, but it comes with an *asterisk---Just my opinion.

I feel the same way about baseball players like Ruth and Gehrigh ---those dudes didn't play against the best talent, so they can't be in the GOAT discussion, in my mind---great players, but comes with the asterisk*

Good point.

Look, Hendricks was great, and I am not hating on the man, but if you didn't play against the best talent in college, that removes you from the GOAT "college" player discussion. Great college player, but it comes with an *asterisk---Just my opinion.

I feel the same way about baseball players like Ruth and Gehrigh ---those dudes didn't play against the best talent, so they can't be in the GOAT discussion, in my mind---great players, but comes with the asterisk*

An observation that could only be made by one whose knowledge of biology, not to mention proportion stratified sampling, pooled sample variance, and a host of other considerations makes him an ignoramus.

No offense.

And point of historical fact, college football began to meaningfully integrate after WWII .... There were a few teams, principally in the SEC and SWC who had not integrated by the mid 1960's, but for the rest of the country, college football was functionally integrated. And this was particularly true of the traditional northern and western powers: Penn State, ND, OSU, USC, MST, Syracuse, etc. etc. By 1962, we already had the first black Heisman winner, (Ernie Davis) ... Were there holdouts among the SWC/SEC? Sure. But by the 1960's when the federal government threatened to withhold DOE funds for any college that failed to adhere to CRA of 1964, that coffin was waiting for its last nail. Your point might be better taken if NO black athletes had avenues to play college football during that era, but even then, your argument from a normative and mathematical perspective, is pretty specious.

As 'Canes go, Hendricks is the GOAT. And by the way, they named the award after him in 2002. More than a century after the dawn of American football, and after they had plenty of great (both black and white) players to choose from to be recognized as the GOAT. They chose Ted. When another 'Cane is honored as the best ever at his position, call me. Then we can talk.

Last edited:

Good point.

It wouldn't have mattered who Hendricks played against, he was going to dominate. You put him on the 1980s Hurricane D-lines and he might dominate even MORE, because then you have guys like Jerome Brown to watch out for.

Lol would Hendricks even make the scout team at any point between the 80s and now???

/ of course not but carry on

Advertisement
Lol would Hendricks even make the scout team at any point between the 80s and now???

You're a fool if you think that. He dominated in the NFL as well. He'd not only start on ANY great Cane team, he'd lead the team in sacks every year he played. He was a dominating player. Would he start? Like, would he start on those great Raider teams of the 70s and early 80s? You're telling me a man that could start in year 15 in the NFL wouldn't start for a Cane team in the 80s? That was 1983. A hall of famer, 4 Super Bowl rings, and he wouldn't start on the 80s-90s Canes? He'd start NOW if he were 20 years old and on the roster. He had a motor unlike any 6'7" guy you've ever seen. We have the dumbest fans on the planet. You think Darren Krein was better than Hendricks? Dear lord.... Dan Hawkins? Ted Hendricks revolutionized the DE position. If anything, playing alongside players like Warren Sapp, Russell Maryland, Jerome Brown, and Cortez Kennedy would have made him absolutely unstoppable.

You're a fool if you think that. He dominated in the NFL as well. He'd not only start on ANY great Cane team, he'd lead the team in sacks every year he played. He was a dominating player. Would he start? Like, would he start on those great Raider teams of the 70s and early 80s? You're telling me a man that could start in year 15 in the NFL wouldn't start for a Cane team in the 80s? That was 1983. A hall of famer, 4 Super Bowl rings, and he wouldn't start on the 80s-90s Canes? He'd start NOW if he were 20 years old and on the roster. He had a motor unlike any 6'7" guy you've ever seen. We have the dumbest fans on the planet. You think Darren Krein was better than Hendricks? Dear lord.... Dan Hawkins? Ted Hendricks revolutionized the DE position. If anything, playing alongside players like Warren Sapp, Russell Maryland, Jerome Brown, and Cortez Kennedy would have made him absolutely unstoppable.

sometimes, it appears that way ....

this krazy cane guy must have the IQ of paramecium. that we have to justify to the hoi polloi how/why Hendricks was the GOAT, is a waste of time and space. unreal.

Ted Hendricks - HOF
Jim Kelly - HOF
Ottis Anderson
Michael Irvin - HOF
Jerome Brown - HOF talent
Cortez Kennedy - HOF
Warren Sapp - HOF
Ray Lewis - HOF next year
Reggie Wayne
Ed Reed - HOF in a few years
Sean Taylor - HOF talent

Good point.

An observation that could only be made by one whose knowledge of biology, not to mention proportion stratified sampling, pooled sample variance, and a host of other considerations makes him an ignoramus.

No offense.

And point of historical fact, college football began to meaningfully integrate after WWII .... There were a few teams, principally in the SEC and SWC who had not integrated by the mid 1960's, but for the rest of the country, college football was functionally integrated. And this was particularly true of the traditional northern and western powers: Penn State, ND, OSU, USC, MST, Syracuse, etc. etc. By 1962, we already had the first black Heisman winner, (Ernie Davis) ... Were there holdouts among the SWC/SEC? Sure. But by the 1960's when the federal government threatened to withhold DOE funds for any college that failed to adhere to CRA of 1964, that coffin was waiting for its last nail. Your point might be better taken if NO black athletes had avenues to play college football during that era, but even then, your argument from a normative and mathematical perspective, is pretty specious.

As 'Canes go, Hendricks is the GOAT. And by the way, they named the award after him in 2002. More than a century after the dawn of American football, and after they had plenty of great (both black and white) players to choose from to be recognized as the GOAT. They chose Ted. When another 'Cane is honored as the best ever at his position, call me. Then we can talk.

Well said.

Miami also scheduled fully integrated teams during the late 1960s.

Advertisement
Ted Hendricks - HOF
Jim Kelly - HOF
Ottis Anderson
Michael Irvin - HOF
Cortez Kennedy - HOF
Warren Sapp - HOF
Reggie Wayne
Sean Taylor - HOF talent

Jim Otto. Maybe the best center to ever play in the NFL.

Ok I'm convinced i exaggerated a little.... Hendricks would make the depth chart right behind Scott Patchan.

Advertisement
Ted Hendricks - HOF
Jim Kelly - HOF
Ottis Anderson
Michael Irvin - HOF
Cortez Kennedy - HOF
Warren Sapp - HOF
Reggie Wayne
Sean Taylor - HOF talent

Jim Otto. Maybe the best center to ever play in the NFL.

Ahh yes, forgot Otto. Thank you.

Dwight Stephenson just sent you a text ....

But no matter, Otto was a bad ***, and a great 'Cane

But the AFL and NFL were fully integrated and Hendricks was a man among boys. So you are going to tell me Jim Brown who played against almost exclusively white teams at Syracuse wouldn't dominate today? You put Hendricks or Brown in today's modern strength and conditioning programs and they still dominant. Hendricks might have been our nastiest player to wear orange and green to boot. One mean SOB on the field.

Advertisement
Back