Ray Lewis, Is he the greatest hurricane of all time?

Advertisement
Yes, this board is young. My guess is the average age is under 35 meaning that not many could really appreciate the 80s or early 90s Canes teams.

Not so fast. There seem to be plenty of guys here who were around for the 80's and 90's teams myself included. You don't get rabid fans like we have on this board if our tenure was just based on the great run we had in early 2000's.

I did not witness Ted at UM but the poster who described him earlier sure made a point. Aside from that best player is almost anyone tailored made to our own make up. For me it was ST because he just brought it. But I can see why so many other players could be fan favorites. It's the ******* U!

Yes, this board is young. My guess is the average age is under 35 meaning that not many could really appreciate the 80s or early 90s Canes teams.

Not so fast. There seem to be plenty of guys here who were around for the 80's and 90's teams myself included. You don't get rabid fans like we have on this board if our tenure was just based on the great run we had in early 2000's.

I did not witness Ted at UM but the poster who described him earlier sure made a point. Aside from that best player is almost anyone tailored made to our own make up. For me it was ST because he just brought it. But I can see why so many other players could be fan favorites. It's the ****ing U!

Imagine getting 7 sacks on the QB that just won the Heisman days before. THAT is how dominant Ted was.

Ray is the best defensive player in the history of football, the best leader, and one of the most iconic embassadors for UM from the NFL.

He wasn't the greatest Hurricane at Miami, mostly because those teams weren't good and he didn't stay for his senior year In terms of ability and excellence at his position, he was right up there with anyone, as his NFL transition showed.

But accomplishments and impact at UM gets you a different list.

I did not witness Ted at UM but the poster who described him earlier sure made a point. Aside from that best player is almost anyone tailored made to our own make up. For me it was ST because he just brought it. But I can see why so many other players could be fan favorites. It's the ****ing U!

Imagine getting 7 sacks on the QB that just won the Heisman days before. THAT is how dominant Ted was.

Ted's ability, atleticism, size and speed were way ahead of his time, IMO, Ted changed 4-3 to 3-4 in pro football today. If I recall correctly Ted was All Dade First Team Basketball as well.

Advertisement
No, he's not

as the best 'canes defensive player ever?

yep, he's up there .... but ted hendricks would have something to say about who is the "best ever"

So would Dan Sil.....just kidding. But, so would Jerome Brown, and Ed Reed, and Sean Taylor and Warren Sapp, and Cortez and Bennie Blades.

There is Ted Hendricks and then there is everybody else. 2nd team All-American sophomore year, 1st team All-American junior and senior years. Hendricks had over 300 tackles his 3 years. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 forced turnovers and 12 fumble recoveries. Had Heisman Trophy Winner Steve Spurrier throw a fumble at his helmet because Hendricks was beating him up. That alone puts him at the top. All-NFL Decade Team in 1970s and 1980s. College football and NFL Halls of Fame. Oh yeah, and the best college defensive end wins the "Ted Hendricks Award".

right on, my brother. as i said in another post, no disrespect to the other great ones who wore the orange and green, but ted hendricks stands alone. it's like the guys who just don't understand that freddie miles was the best HS Running Back in Florida history. some people simply don't get it .... but i digress ....

and one more thing, i suggest an edit to your post: "Had Heisman Trophy Winner and the ultimate gator scumbag Steve Spurrier throw a fumble at his helmet because Hendricks was beating him up."

yeah, i think that works!

Well, all I can say about Freddie Miles is he was a sophomore when I was a senior and thank you lord. He was like tackling a flipping Greyhound, bus that is. It was enough when we jamboree'd Carol City in spring 1977 and had to deal with those dudes. We got out of the quarter 0-0.

Is there a case for Devin Hester? He is the unquestioned best of all time at his return spot. Special teams is a 1/3 of the game.

I thought Dan Morgan was bigger faster stronger and more productive in college. He also has the record for most tackles in a Super Bowl.

Intangibles make Irvin, Reed and Lewis hard to pass on as they brought that leadership quality.

I love the DL's and it always starts and ends with those big guys. Sapp might have been the best but Brown, Tez, Wilfork, and Maryland all have a say.

But I got to go with Sean Taylor. The guy was just the greatest athlete we have ever had.

as the best 'canes defensive player ever?

yep, he's up there .... but ted hendricks would have something to say about who is the "best ever"

So would Dan Sil.....just kidding. But, so would Jerome Brown, and Ed Reed, and Sean Taylor and Warren Sapp, and Cortez and Bennie Blades.

There is Ted Hendricks and then there is everybody else. 2nd team All-American sophomore year, 1st team All-American junior and senior years. Hendricks had over 300 tackles his 3 years. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 forced turnovers and 12 fumble recoveries. Had Heisman Trophy Winner Steve Spurrier throw a fumble at his helmet because Hendricks was beating him up. That alone puts him at the top. All-NFL Decade Team in 1970s and 1980s. College football and NFL Halls of Fame. Oh yeah, and the best college defensive end wins the "Ted Hendricks Award".

right on, my brother. as i said in another post, no disrespect to the other great ones who wore the orange and green, but ted hendricks stands alone. it's like the guys who just don't understand that freddie miles was the best HS Running Back in Florida history. some people simply don't get it .... but i digress ....

and one more thing, i suggest an edit to your post: "Had Heisman Trophy Winner and the ultimate gator scumbag Steve Spurrier throw a fumble at his helmet because Hendricks was beating him up."

yeah, i think that works!

Well, all I can say about Freddie Miles is he was a sophomore when I was a senior and thank you lord. He was like tackling a flipping Greyhound, bus that is. It was enough when we jamboree'd Carol City in spring 1977 and had to deal with those dudes. We got out of the quarter 0-0.

To quote the late, great, Joe Brodsky: "Emmitt Smith was the best running back I ever coached ... but Freddie was the best I ever saw"

Advertisement
During their time with the Ravens, he and Ed Reed embodied the brotherhood that is UM football, that's for sure.

Advertisement
Fck Ray Lewis.... I thought he was the GOAT until he opened his fckn mouth clown @ss coon.

Advertisement
Ted Hendricks. 3 time All American
4 Super Bowl Rings
All time NFL leader in blocked kicks
College Foitball Hall of Fame
Pro Football Hall of Fame
Ted Hendricks Award named after him
Finished 4th in Heisman
NFL All a Decade team 70s and 80s.

There's Ted and there's everyone else

Last edited:
Advertisement