Rank UM's 21st Century Starting QB's

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Thought this would be an entertaining but also painful exercise considering some of our recent qb's have been abominations. The following qb's started for UM at some point in their career from the year 2000 to the present:

(P.S. I did not include Robert Marve because I felt he did not play enough for me to rank him)

Ken Dorsey (I mean we all obviously know where he's landing on this list)
Brock Berlin
Kirby Freeman
Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Stephen Morris
Brad Kaaya (Career not over but we can all most likely assume)

My List:

1) Dorsey, 2) Berlin, 3) Kaaya, 4) Harris, 5) Morris, 6) Wright, 7)Freeman

Harris, Morris, and Wright were tough for me to rank. They all showed flashes of talent but had their shortcomings. I think that is where most of our lists will differ.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Berlin was not that great in 2003, but improved in 2004. Who knows what Kaaya does with similar talent. Really hard to choose one over the other, since the situation were so different. Berlin inherited a national champion, as far as I'm concerned, and Kaaya got here just after the ice cream truck arrived.

Berlin was not that great in 2003, but improved in 2004. Who knows what Kaaya does with similar talent. Really hard to choose one over the other, since the situation were so different. Berlin inherited a national champion, as far as I'm concerned, and Kaaya got here just after the ice cream truck arrived.

I ranked Berlin higher because he had some clutch comebacks. I have yet to see Kaaya really provide us with one of those performances. We always come up short, one way or another.

Can't disagree with that. However, we HAD to come back due to his poor play early in games. Whereas Kaaya has played well in many, many losses, but the rest of the team played like ****. Now, Kaaya is not perfect, but the level of talent on the 2003 team compared to the last few years is unreal. Where Berlin played bad and we HAD to come back, Kaaya possibly would have been more steady, and we'd not have had the need for fierce comebacks.

Take for example, the FSU losses. Kaaya didn't do anything to lose those games, but the rest of the team made flub ups. Dropped passes, fumbles, bogus holding penalties... I don't fault Kaaya for ANY FSU loss. Would Berlin have done better and willed Berrios to catch that TD? Would Berlin have made Badgley hit that extra point? Would he have made Dobard not fumble? Could he have tackled Dalvin Cook? There were so many plays NOT made by others over the course of Kaaya's tenure that it's next to impossible to say he's the reason we haven't seen comebacks.

I ranked Berlin higher because he had some clutch comebacks. I have yet to see Kaaya really provide us with one of those performances. We always come up short, one way or another.

Advertisement
1. Dorsey
2. Kaaya (get over it)
3. Morris
4. Berlin/Freeman
5. Harris
6. Wright

I think back to poor Kyle Wright. We talk about THIS O-line being bad... Oh man, what he had to suffer behind was unreal. Not to mention to dropped passes! How the heck he completed over 50% of his passes here with the amount of drops is beyond me. Barely any talent at WR as well, and no good RB... Those were bad times.

Advertisement
Dorsey
Kaaya
Morris
Berlin
Wright
Freeman

LOL at the revisionist history with Berlin. I like Brock, he's a true cane and did a good job in 2004. But his 2003 season is maybe the worst in the history of UM.

I think back to poor Kyle Wright. We talk about THIS O-line being bad... Oh man, what he had to suffer behind was unreal. Not to mention to dropped passes! How the heck he completed over 50% of his passes here with the amount of drops is beyond me. Barely any talent at WR as well, and no good RB... Those were bad times.

Kyle Wright's OL was fine. He sacked himself, much like Kaaya has done this year. In 2004 our Ol gave up very few sacks. Wright comes in for his first playing time against GT and gets sacked 4 times in nine plays or something like that, after Brock had gotten sacked maybe once all game.

Kyle Wright's OL was fine. He sacked himself, much like Kaaya has done this year. In 2004 our Ol gave up very few sacks. Wright comes in for his first playing time against GT and gets sacked 4 times in nine plays or something like that, after Brock had gotten sacked maybe once all game.

I remember that lol...Wright was three times the athlete than Kaaya is too

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wait you add Kirby Freeman but not Marve?

I was pretty young when Kirby was playing so maybe my memory does not serve me well. Did Marve start more games than him?

Kirby looked putrid. Didn't even show flashes of anything. Marve actually had a few decent drives and then the genius radio Shannon would pull him randomly from the game for his two qb system that hurt both qbs

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back