Rank coaches from 1979-2015

sebastiansbill

Thunderdome
My rankings
1. Schnellenberger-over Johnson by a hair
2. Johnson-if you argue he built the 89 and 91 teams maybe you can make him no.1
3. Davis- excellent job rebuilding after the sanctions. if he had stayed for the 01-02 teams maybe he could be in the top 2
4. Erickson- best win % of anybody but began to slip as he lost johnson's players. Plus the Pell Grant scandal.
5. Coker. Big gap between 4 and 5. With that being said, I know of at least 2 coaches who wouldn't have been able to start 24-0 even with the talent we had in 01-02. Not sure if those coaches would have even started 19-5. Their initials are RS and AG.
6. Shannon-at least he's not as bad as the guy who replaced him. Shannon was good enough for me to be willing to type out his name.
7. I won't type out his name

Last edited:
Advertisement
Interesting question as a few amongst those names brought "models" that are still in use today while others benefited from their predecessors...

Here goes..

1. Johnson (only because Schnellenberg left after the NC...we will never know what could have been)...set a model of fast attack defenses that today's SEC can trace back to in lineage...left the program same shape as what he was handed...
2. Schnellenberger...set a model (that EVERYONE stiil uses to a degree) of recruiting Dade, Broward, and WPB combined with cherry picking rest of FL and Nation...also used the passing game (that he learned from Shula) to upend the traditionalists of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" (that he learned from Papa Bear)...left the program better than what he was handed...
3. Davis...again could have ranked #1 had he stayed...but like Schnellenberger, left at his apogee...continued the traditions of Schnellenberger and Johnson...argument could be made he was second coming of Schnellenberger as he saved and rebuilt program from dark times after Erickson's departure...left the program better than what he was handed...
4. Erickson...rode Johnson's horses and parlayed that into NFL HC position...left the program worse than what he was handed...
5. Coker...rode Davis' horses and then couldn't staff properly to keep it going...too "grandfatherly" and not newr enough "Junction Boys" like Schnellenberger and Johnson...left program worse than what he was handed...
6. Shannon...the "we want him to be" the Eddie Robinson of the ACC (NOT because of his tan) wrt to "HC for the next 30 years"...I'm convinced had he been successful, he would still be roaming the Hurricanes sideline and would have turned down every off that came his way...problem for him was the stage was too big for role and responsibility...left program worse than what he was handed...
7. Golden...tried to transform Miami into Penn State...modeled his whole program based on Paterno...and it flopped for whatever reasons...I rank him dead last not because of the recent wounds to the program, but his inability to see failure in performance of the staff and make the necessary changes...at least aft the Fiesta Bowl beatdown, Coker cleaned house...not Golden though...left program same as what he was handed...

1. Johnson (GOAT UM coach and one of the best ever overall).
2. Schnelly - (Built it from scratch).
3. Butch Davis - (Could have been historically great if only he had stayed).
4. Erickson - (Very good coach)
5. Coker - (Too nice a guy, no killer instinct).
6. Shannon - (Way in over his head).
7. Goldenofrio - (The worst sham ever perpetuated against a collegiate football program. Worst corching in NCAA history).

There are coaches who are worse than Golden (I can't believe I just typed out his name.) somehow some of these guys got into our search to replace Golden. For example, Charlie Strong and Mario Cristobal are both worse than Golden and were both considered to replace Golden. Greg Schiano is about a wash with Golden and was also considered.

Advertisement
Johnson - Goat HC & defensive genius.
Schnellenberger - Architect & offensive genius.
Erickson - Won 2 national titles & offensive genius
Davis - Recruiting guru
Coker - coached to back to back NC games.
Shannon - in over his head. Failure not a surprise
Golden - worst fit. Record matches Shannon, worst home loss in history, and came in with experience as HC.

1A. - Schnellenberger - got the train rolling.

1B. - Johnson - had he stayed who knows how many titles we could've won.

2 - Butch - one of the best program management jobs you'll ever see. Might of been a virtual three way tie at the top had he stayed put.

3 - Erickson - plenty of good times but put the program into a nose dive and then jumped ship.

4 - Coker - won with Butches guys at least but couldn't sustain what was built.

5 - Shannon - great coordinator, horrible head coach.

6 - Golden - been discussed in great detail already, take your pick of the multitude of problems he caused.

Last edited:
Interesting question as a few amongst those names brought "models" that are still in use today while others benefited from their predecessors...

Here goes..

1. Johnson (only because Schnellenberg left after the NC...we will never know what could have been)...set a model of fast attack defenses that today's SEC can trace back to in lineage...left the program same shape as what he was handed...
2. Schnellenberger...set a model (that EVERYONE stiil uses to a degree) of recruiting Dade, Broward, and WPB combined with cherry picking rest of FL and Nation...also used the passing game (that he learned from Shula) to upend the traditionalists of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" (that he learned from Papa Bear)...left the program better than what he was handed...
3. Davis...again could have ranked #1 had he stayed...but like Schnellenberger, left at his apogee...continued the traditions of Schnellenberger and Johnson...argument could be made he was second coming of Schnellenberger as he saved and rebuilt program from dark times after Erickson's departure...left the program better than what he was handed...
4. Erickson...rode Johnson's horses and parlayed that into NFL HC position...left the program worse than what he was handed...
5. Coker...rode Davis' horses and then couldn't staff properly to keep it going...too "grandfatherly" and not newr enough "Junction Boys" like Schnellenberger and Johnson...left program worse than what he was handed...
6. Shannon...the "we want him to be" the Eddie Robinson of the ACC (NOT because of his tan) wrt to "HC for the next 30 years"...I'm convinced had he been successful, he would still be roaming the Hurricanes sideline and would have turned down every off that came his way...problem for him was the stage was too big for role and responsibility...left program worse than what he was handed...
7. Golden...tried to transform Miami into Penn State...modeled his whole program based on Paterno...and it flopped for whatever reasons...I rank him dead last not because of the recent wounds to the program, but his inability to see failure in performance of the staff and make the necessary changes...at least aft the Fiesta Bowl beatdown, Coker cleaned house...not Golden though...left program same as what he was handed...

Nice post but I'm going to disagree with the last sentence. Golden left the program in better shape than what was handed to him. Now before everyone starts throwing beer bottles at me, let me say that I cannot stand that fat, two-faced POS Gluten. I agree he is no.7 and think he was the worst coach in Power 5 while he was here.

However he did manage to recruit enough good players to leave us better off than what Shannon left him. Generally speaking Gluten's recruiting sucked balls but being at UM you're going to get good-great players purely by accident. Gluten certainly didn't get nearly enough of them(good players) and he couldn't recruit WR, DT or CB to save his life but Richt did inherit a solid roster and much better than what Onion left.

The thing with Gluten is that he could of been given the 2000-2002 rosters and he would not have the faintest clue as to how to utilize them. I don't think that I have ever seen a head coach with so little feel for the game. Gluten had the lowest football IQ I have ever seen in a HC.

1. Johnson (GOAT UM coach and one of the best ever overall).
2. Schnelly - (Built it from scratch).
3. Butch Davis - (Could have been historically great if only he had stayed).
4. Erickson - (Very good coach)
5. Coker - (Too nice a guy, no killer instinct).
6. Shannon - (Way in over his head).
7. Goldenofrio - (The worst sham ever perpetuated against a collegiate football program. Worst corching in NCAA history).

Johnson could've had 3 NC's (had not been for the Testeverde debacle and the ND ***** job). I roll with your list.

Advertisement

Here goes..

Nice post but I'm going to disagree with the last sentence. Golden left the program in better shape than what was handed to him. Now before everyone starts throwing beer bottles at me, let me say that I cannot stand that fat, two-faced POS Gluten. I agree he is no.7 and think he was the worst coach in Power 5 while he was here.

However he did manage to recruit enough good players to leave us better off than what Shannon left him. Generally speaking Gluten's recruiting sucked balls but being at UM you're going to get good-great players purely by accident. Gluten certainly didn't get nearly enough of them(good players) and he couldn't recruit WR, DT or CB to save his life but Richt did inherit a solid roster and much better than what Onion left.

The thing with Gluten is that he could of been given the 2000-2002 rosters and he would not have the faintest clue as to how to utilize them. I don't think that I have ever seen a head coach with so little feel for the game. Gluten had the lowest football IQ I have ever seen in a HC.

I don't disagree with you after reading your post. I debated how to evaluate how Shannon vs Golden left the program. I think they left the structure with equal malaise, but maybe I'm thinking Shannon left Golden with less than Golden left Richt.

Would be curious to read everyone's thoughts on why Shannon left a worse program than Golden. If I remember correctly, Shannon essentially had zero recruits left even before the Sun Bowl...

I think the stage was just too big (he just looked befuddled on the sidelines) for Shannon (and the market would seem to validate comsidering his post-Miami positions). The stage wasn't too big for Golden, however his commitment to sticking to the "Paterno way" (making him ineffective on the stage) coupled with his unwillingness (inability) to make changes to staffers (i.e. Donforio) ultimately proved his undoing.

Last edited:
Lets remember Hocutt cancelled all recruiting visits when he fired RS. He did not allow the interim coaches to recruit and he also hired Al like a month before. That being said I don't see how this team is in better shape. Do we all purposely ignore that Al inherited a team with 3 nfl backs and a 4th committed in Duke? He inherited 5 nfl wideouts, 3 nfl tight ends and countless olinemen. That alone is more than Al left Richt. I don't see 3 nfl backs or 5 wide outs. I just don't think this team is in better shape. Outside of a few players, Al did not do a good job recruiting.

I'd probably put Schnellenberger first since he built the whole thing. I guess Lou Saban kinda got the ball rolling but Howard made Miami football. Jimmy is a close second.

Butch or Dennis for #3 is a close call. Butch handled the sanctions and rebuilt the program but was a terrible game day coach. Dennis was responsible for the sanctions but just won so much, that a loss was mind blowing in the late 80's early 90's.

The other three bums, I couldn't care less how you rank em. If anything, I'm tempted to rank Coker lower since he was handed a Porsche and left a Ford.

There are coaches who are worse than Golden (I can't believe I just typed out his name.) somehow some of these guys got into our search to replace Golden. For example, Charlie Strong and Mario Cristobal are both worse than Golden and were both considered to replace Golden. Greg Schiano is about a wash with Golden and was also considered.

GTFO, Strong might be terrible, but no ******* way is he worse than Golden. It's impossible to worse than Golden, maybe someone is just as bad, but cannot be worse.

Advertisement
1. Schnellenberger
2. Jimmy Johnson
3. Butch

4. Erickson

5.coker
6.shannon

7. Larry Scott
8. Jeff stoutland

9. Alf

Anybody looking what the entirety of their careers prove would either be an idiot or too heavily influenced by Billy Cohen to think that FAU Howie is a better coach or evaluator of talent than Johnson. If you want to give bonus points for getting the ball rolling here then that's a different story. But if this is about who I'm taking to coach and recruit players on an equivalent playing field that Hoot Hoot Howard isn't my #1 despite the pull of nostalgia and movies made by fraudulent fans.

What Butch built was incredible. What Johnson built was such a monster Denny the Drunk SHOULD have won more than 2 titles with what he was left. What Howard did was nothing short of miraculous.

As for ranking them... As much as I love JJ, he only won one title here. SHOULD have been more. We should have won in 85, 86, and 88. His teams were just plain better, faster, and nastier than everyone else.

Davis was a pretty bad game day coach, but the talent he assembled was so darn good they SHOULD have won three titles in a row. The one in his last season, and the two after he left.

Erickson is down the list for me. He took the program into a nose dive. Not just any nose dive, but a 34 scholarship reducing one. The program was a disaster when Davis took over. Yeah, he won two titles, but the entire program was a dumpster fire when he left. Better game day coach than most, but a terrible guy to run the program.

Coker wasn't HC material. Shannon wasn't HC material. Golden wasn't HC material. NONE of those guys ever deserved to be hired at UM. Not a single one.

To me it's JJ, Howard, and Davis. They all did great things, in different ways. I wonder if Howard had stayed what we'd have looked like in 1986. I bet his team beats Penn State.

Advertisement
Yeah, let's never forget the run of NFL draft picks from the Shannon years.
Lets remember Hocutt cancelled all recruiting visits when he fired RS. He did not allow the interim coaches to recruit and he also hired Al like a month before. That being said I don't see how this team is in better shape. Do we all purposely ignore that Al inherited a team with 3 nfl backs and a 4th committed in Duke? He inherited 5 nfl wideouts, 3 nfl tight ends and countless olinemen. That alone is more than Al left Richt. I don't see 3 nfl backs or 5 wide outs. I just don't think this team is in better shape. Outside of a few players, Al did not do a good job recruiting.

Anybody looking what the entirety of their careers prove would either be an idiot or too heavily influenced by Billy Cohen to think that FAU Howie is a better coach or evaluator of talent than Johnson. If you want to give bonus points for getting the ball rolling here then that's a different story. But if this is about who I'm taking to coach and recruit players on an equivalent playing field that Hoot Hoot Howard isn't my #1 despite the pull of nostalgia and movies made by fraudulent fans.

Howard was by far the best gameday coach as he won a NC with a team that shouldnt have and Jimmy lost 2 NC games to teams he shouldn't have lost to. Howard also left Jimmy with an incredible amount of talent. Kosar, Tetsaverde, Highsmith, Bratton,Irvin, Perriman, 2 Blades, Brown, and more and made it easier for Jimmy to attract more talent. So to me it isn't a contest Howard was the best

Jimmy- should have had 3 chips.....reason I'm a fan
Howard-started it
Butch-would of surpassed what Pete Carroll did if he stayed
Dennis-won 2 chips...
Randy-terrible game day coach and good recruiter
Wasn't alive for any of the coaches before Howard, but I'd take them over this cat we had from 11-15

Advertisement
Back