Rank coaches from 1979-2015

Shannon was worse than Golden at player development.

I can't pick which of those 2 are worse

People here really forgot how bad Randy Shannon was.....

Advertisement
No, they didn't forget. They never admitted to it in the first place.

1) Johnson
2) schnellenburger
3) Davis
4) Erickson

I refuse to rank different forms of s**t after these 4

My rankings
1. Schnellenberger-over Johnson by a hair
2. Johnson-if you argue he built the 89 and 91 teams maybe you can make him no.1
3. Davis- excellent job rebuilding after the sanctions. if he had stayed for the 01-02 teams maybe he could be in the top 2
4. Erickson- best win % of anybody but began to slip as he lost johnson's players. Plus the Pell Grant scandal.
5. Coker. Big gap between 4 and 5. With that being said, I know of at least 2 coaches who wouldn't have been able to start 24-0 even with the talent we had in 01-02. Not sure if those coaches would have even started 19-5. Their initials are RS and AG.
6. Shannon-at least he's not as bad as the guy who replaced him. Shannon was good enough for me to be willing to type out his name.
7. I won't type out his name
Flip Shannon and Coker and I agree. How anyone can be handed a program at that stage and run it into the ground so quickly is beyond me. Him and Golden are 6a and 6b

Advertisement
I really have a hard time agreeing with putting a guy who was 60-15 and won 1.5 national championships (half credit for the 2002-03 title since we lost on a bogus flag) in the same category as Shannon and Golden. I really am not at all convinced Golden or Shannon would have won 24 straight even with Butch's players. With that being said Coker was a pretty big downgrade from our previous 4 coaches.

Golden and Shannon probably are a wash but I'm more ****ed off at Golden since he was more recent. In addition I liked Shannon a lot as a person and I wish he could have been successful. He overcame a lot and was a father figure to his players. He just couldn't coach well. Golden I thought was an ******* of a person though.

Last edited:
Butch should be last. He flat out lied to the players, the fans and the athletic department.

Golden may have been worse, but he never lied.

Yeah, thanks for building the best team ever. You do realize the administration did him wrong too, right?
Butch should be last. He flat out lied to the players, the fans and the athletic department.

Advertisement
My rankings
2. Johnson-if you argue he built the 89 and 91 teams maybe you can make him no.1
3. Davis- excellent job rebuilding after the sanctions. if he had stayed for the 01-02 teams maybe he could be in the top 2
4. Erickson- best win % of anybody but began to slip as he lost johnson's players. Plus the Pell Grant scandal.
5. Coker. Big gap between 4 and 5. With that being said, I know of at least 2 coaches who wouldn't have been able to start 24-0 even with the talent we had in 01-02. Not sure if those coaches would have even started 19-5. Their initials are RS and AG.
6. Shannon-at least he's not as bad as the guy who replaced him. Shannon was good enough for me to be willing to type out his name.

Pretty much correct. I'd put Johnson ahead of Schnellenberger but it's debatable. Johnson wouldn't have been able to accomplish what he did without being able to build on Howard's accomplishments.

Yeah, thanks for building the best team ever. You do realize the administration did him wrong too, right?

That is whoopingcane awful schtick to play sarcastic contrarian and fake insider information

Was 58-0 at SunLife really any worse than 48-0 to Virginia at the OB? In my mind, Shannon should have been gone right then.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Was 58-0 at SunLife really any worse than 48-0 to Virginia at the OB? In my mind, Shannon should have been gone right then.

48-0 to UVA was worse because it was to a team that finished 8-4 vs everybody else. Plus our team had a motivation vs UVA to close out the stadium with a win.

Last edited:
anybody who says Davis should be last needs to be permanently banned. not just from this website but also banned from ever attending a hurricane game again.

Advertisement
My rankings

Pretty much correct. I'd put Johnson ahead of Schnellenberger but it's debatable. Johnson wouldn't have been able to accomplish what he did without being able to build on Howard's accomplishments.

Yup. This.
Flip a coin for JJ or HS at #1 .
I love Jimmy because he was a competitive SOB that didn't give a flock.

What about Coker's 3-40 loss to LSU in the '05? Peach Bowl? Difference between that and Golden was at least he [Coker] tried to make wholesale staff changes and adjustments.

What about Coker's 3-40 loss to LSU in the '05? Peach Bowl? Difference between that and Golden was at least he [Coker] tried to make wholesale staff changes and adjustments.

I don't think they were good adjustments though. I actually wonder if Coker would have done well enough to survive for a bit longer if he hadn't made the assistant firings. Werner needed to go but the other ones did not. Getting rid of Kehoe and Soldinger may have doomed Coker's tenure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back