Randy was better (Miami New Times)

They were both inept as head coaches. It's tough to argue who was worse(it's real close). As far as coaching as a coordinator or position coach, I'd take Shannon over Golden and it's not even close.

Advertisement
Randy Shannon had Teddy Bridgewater & Eli Rodgers locked up for next year & Duke Johnson the year after. Miami would have turned the corner offensively. Imagine that defense with Duke & Teddy B on offense..... Scary good.

Randy Shannon had Teddy Bridgewater & Eli Rodgers locked up for next year & Duke Johnson the year after. Miami would have turned the corner offensively. Imagine that defense with Duke & Teddy B on offense..... Scary good.

I think we were ranked 31st offensively Shannon's final year here. Where are we ranked now? In the 80s? The offense was definitely going to be a rocket ship with Teddy, Duke and the rest of those guys.

Advertisement
Travis Benjamin, Aldarius Johnson, Tommy Streeter, LaRon Byrd, Kendal Thompkins, Davon Johnson, Clive Walford, Allen Hurns. Randy did leave some talent.

Rodgers had decommited long before Shannon was fired and Teddy was headed to do the same. Lets not revise history and make it seem like Randy was gonna turn it around. He sucked but just a little less than Golden.

Sad reality is Randy overall was better. Only thing Golden has done better is be white. That gives me hope the next guy can turn it around quickly.

FIFY.

Those stats don't lie. If UM retains The Imposter after this season, racism is the only explanation.

oh my.

The only explanation? The only explanation. Wow.

Well, ok.

Is it often the only explanation for you?

If so, I think maybe you're missing out on a whole breathtaking panorama of other human stupidity

Advertisement
Sad reality is Randy overall was better. Only thing Golden has done better is be white. That gives me hope the next guy can turn it around quickly.

FIFY.

Those stats don't lie. If UM retains The Imposter after this season, racism is the only explanation.

Please stop with that sh*t....so sick of that being an excuse these days

That's not an excuse; it's an explanation. And it's one which, when considered against the facts, becomes a fact. If UM does not fire The Imposter for his irrefutable and comprehensive failure as a head coach after firing a homegrown, well-respected African American coach for less, then there's only one explanation: racism. You might hear finances, etc. But that's what we call pretext. An excuse is blaming night games for your abortion of a scheme and recurring displays of incompetency on the field. An excuse is blaming an offense for your matador defense giving up record rushing yards every week.

Let's not get it twisted Randy, was awful, just like Alf

Last edited:
They were both inept as head coaches. It's tough to argue who was worse(it's real close). As far as coaching as a coordinator or position coach, I'd take Shannon over Golden and it's not even close.

bingo.

Absolutely. Both in over their heads. I don't know who was worse Patrick nix or coach d. I really thought randy was a great move. Boy was I wrong. I thought golden was a great move and I have lived to regret it

The real problem with the current crew is that they seem incapable of adjusting. It's like they don't watch the game. They get a plan and stick to it no matter what happens.

Our offense has taken the first drive of the game down field like a machine. Then the other guys adjust we don't

Look At the difference in us versus their first half points compared to the same in second halfs

They adjust we don't We are getting out coached.

Been that way here for years, uncle clappy, randy and now golden. (Comparing these guys and asking who was worse is like asking yourself whether you'd rather be shot or hung. Didn't Larry have a better record when he got fired and got replaced by randy? Who cares? Would you rather have pancreatic cancer or Ebola?)

Somebody please make this sub par coaching stop.

Advertisement
I wish the author would of thrown in the arrest record of each corch. It would've been the cherry on top.

enhanced-buzz-16754-1380301871-22.jpg

Rodgers had decommited long before Shannon was fired and Teddy was headed to do the same. Lets not revise history and make it seem like Randy was gonna turn it around. He sucked but just a little less than Golden.

You're revising history because there was no indication that Teddy was leaving until RS got fired.... And lets wuit with the comparisons.., Why are we rb compared a HC in his first gig to an HC with prior experience? Oh yea because the experience HC has underachieved.

Advertisement
The cupboard will not be barren for the next staff the way Shannon left things.

The cupboard was never bare... We're the only school that a coach inherits the 2nd and 3rd all-time passers in school history, a 1k back along with 2 other nfl backs (Duke committed to RS), an all conference oline, an all conference line backer, the 6th and 13th wideouts in receptiond in school history and multiple all conference players but we say the cupboard... This coach relied on RS players for 4 years but he never had anything to work with? Come on... With all the attrition and gambles is going to rebuild all over again but it won't take 4 years...

From Mannys blog when Rogers decommitted:

On Wednesday, when I drove to Northwestern and spent about two hours watching practice, Bridgewater told me he was still planning on being a Hurricane. But he also said he was a bit disappointed by the Florida State loss and what he's seen from UM's offense this season. He also admitted he's been having second thoughts about his commitment.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-could-bridgewater-be-next.html#storylink=cpy

He wasn't happy with the offense or the way the fans were treating Jacory. It's been shown several times he wasn't coming here, so just let that dog die. Who was better, Randy or Al. Neither one has won anything so does it matter? I loved the hiring of Randy. Miami guy, grew up here, played here, coached here. What's not to love if you love the Canes. But Randy proved he wasn't really head coach material. I have no idea if he learned from his first experience and will do better if he gets another shot or not, but no amount of rewriting history will make him a good head coach during his Miami tenure. His recruiting was a major disappointment. I thought with his local connections he would lock down the area. He had the one very disappointing class out of NW but other than that he was mediocre. You have to give Al a nod on recruiting simply because he has brought in better overall talent to date and he did it dealing with all the NCAA crap hanging over his head. Does that now show in results on the field? Not so much. If we do make a move and bring in a good X's and O's guy, one thing is certain, he will have a better roster to deal with day on than Randy left for Al.

I have no dog in this fight but I think Shannon really hated recruiting--it didn't fit his personality nor his strengths. That's the ultimate difference to me. Shannon empty-cup boarded his way to one giant momentous class that served him throughout his tenure. His latter classes were horribly bad. Golden is very active as a recruiter and can be the face of a program. Shannon is best served as a position coach or DC IMO and I think he's good at either. Golden is best served as head coach of a weaker program where guys think winning is hard and are excited to go 6-6.

Both were/are bad, but I'd rather have 4 years of Golden and fire him than Shannon in terms of the future.

Advertisement
Back