Randy was better (Miami New Times)

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Oh my

1. Records

Randy Shannon: 28-22, (16-16 ACC)

Al Golden: 25-18, (14-13 ACC)
When the Miami Hurricanes fired Randy Shannon following an upset loss to South Florida in 2010 it was because the program was not living up to the standards they had become accustomed to since the early '80s. So far Al Golden has done little, if anything, to improve upon what Randy Shannon was able to accomplish. The most troubling part of Golden's tenure is that it's trending downward. In the last 12 games, Miami has lost seven times, all by double-digits.

What's more shocking than both these coaches' failures? What they add up to. The Hurricanes are just 55-45 over their last 100 games. Joaquin said dominate, and we ain't!

Advantage: Saddest. Push. Ever.

2. Notable Wins

Randy Shannon: #16 Texas A&M (2007), FSU (2007), Virginia Tech (2008), #19 FSU (2009), #13 Georgia Tech (2009), #8 Oklahoma (2009), Clemson (2010)

Al Golden: #16 Ohio State (2011), #22 Georgia Tech (2011), #12 Florida (2013)
The records look the same, but the quality of the wins look much different. While Randy Shannon wasn't exactly successful at Miami, he did pick up a few quality wins along the way, wins that teased the fan base just enough to make them believe the program was turning the corner.

Golden, on the other hand, has not done anything of the sort. His Miami squads are 1-12 against teams that finish with eight or more wins, including 0-3 against Florida State. Of Golden's three most notable wins, two came against teams, Ohio State and Florida, that ended the season so poorly, you had to ask yourself if wins against them really even were big wins.

Advantage: Randy Shannon

3. Recruiting Classes

Randy Shannon: 19th, 5th, 15th, 16th -- (13.75 best class average)

Al Golden: 36th, 9th, 20th, 12th -- (19.25 best class average)

(Those rankings come from Rivals.com)

Do you believe in recruiting stars? If you do, these two coaches aren't all that much different.

A common misconception as-of-late is that the University of Miami just doesn't have talent, which may or may not be true. Sure, Miami is no longer picking up top recruiting classes, but that doesn't mean they don't have more talent than teams they are losing to. Since Al Golden took over, 23 four or five-star players have come to Miami, more than enough to compete in the ACC. These are all players other schools wanted, all players that Miami went out and got, so the argument that Miami lacks talent doesn't hold water. Miami way have dealt with sanctions, but the teams they are losing to deal daily with being, well, themselves.

Randy Shannon was doomed by his inability to develop talent, Al Golden is quickly gaining much of the same reputation.

4. Defensive Rankings

Randy Shannon:
2007- 33rd
2008 - 28th
2009 - 29th
2010 - 22nd

Al Golden
2011 - 45th
2012 - 116th
2013 - 89th
2014 - 16th

By comparison, Randy Shannon's Miami Hurricanes teams were much more consistent on defense, although not anywhere near as dominant as Hurricanes teams of old. Al Golden's defenses have been a disaster, and much maligned in his tenure. This season's ranking of sixteen looks good, but it's from a tiny sample size, considering three of the six games have come against FAMU, Arkansas State, and Duke. In the other three games, the Hurricanes have been gashed, giving up 31, 41, and 28 points to Louisville, Nebraska, and Georgia Tech.

Neither coach had great success on defense, but Randy Shannon had much more success in this area.

5. Offensive Rankings

Randy Shannon:
2007 - 110th
2008 - 89th
2009 - 45th
2010 - 31st

Al Golden:
2011 - 70th
2012 - 37th
2013 - 48th
2014 - 81st

Randy Shannon's offenses started off slow, but saw a steady improvement over his time at Miami. One could argue Al Golden has much more talent than Randy Shannon ever had on offense, but has done far less. The Hurricanes have much better talent in 2014 on the offensive side of the ball than a 81st ranking would indicate, which is ironic, because the biggest excuse made for the Canes failures during Golden's tenure is their loss of scholarships. You can't have more talent, and still cry poor, that doesn't make much sense.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2014/10/shannongolden.php

:nba-kobe_bryant-ups

Advertisement
Regarding recruiting, Golden did not have any sanctions until recently; he had a cloud.

As it turns out, the sanctions are pretty **** mild.

Facts never lie ..."that's why Al doesn't read the newspapers, because he knows his numbers are garbage"

Lol wow I don't even know what to say any more

Advertisement
A few things here..

1) If anyone had told me that Al would have the same overall record as Randy in his 4th year..I wouldnt have believed them. I really believed that this year would have been our year. Especially after we started out 7-0 last year. "It was all good just a week ago.."

2) Al's stubborness is going to lead to his downfall. Randy was stubborn too but not to this extreme. Randy actually let Bill Young come in and man the defense. Put a few new wrinkles in it...He was fine with taking a step back and trying something new. Al? Not so much.

3) And I have said this 1,000 times but I will say it 1,001..Randy wasnt fired because we sucked that year and we lost to USF...Randy was fired because on Senior Day, with all the BOTs sitting in the press box, and on national TV, we had 15,000 fans in the stands that day! 15,000!!!! THAT was the last straw. And that is what ultimately will get Al fired too.

Three things I give Randy credit for:

1) playing a 4-3 defense
2) bringing in a monster recruiting class his 2nd year
3) hiring quality guys at the coordinator positions

everything else in between...

Jay-Z-Ehhh-alright.gif

Last edited:
Sad reality is Randy overall was better. Only thing Golden has done better is to not let recruiting fall off the cliff the past year and a half. That gives me hope the next guy can turn it around quickly.

Advertisement
Ok, so they both suck. Got it. Al looks better organized but I remember kids in school who showed up every year with all the proper equipment: notebooks, pens, pencils, markers, rulers, compass, protractor, and even a nice attache case to hold everything. They looked ready as you can be. Then first test came along and everything went to **** with that big red F on the top of the paper. Al is one of those kids. He thinks hard work is what matters, not the grade. He reminds me of my dear Mom. She was always upset because I never studied. The straight As and Doctorate didn't seem matter to her. I guess Al is ok with 500 yards against his defense as long as everyone works hard in the gym and does not freelance. I say again. Ed Reed would have not even seen the field with these guys. Imagine what Ed would do if MLB was lined up next to him instead of at the line. DP would have had foot up his rear and Ed would spend rest of game on bench and "no black jersey for him".

golden is a muscian who thinks he knows all the theory yet couldnt groove if his life depended on it. The guy simply has no feel for the game.

shannon was simply an inept ceo because he had no chops for the gig. he never should of gotten the job to begin with.

Last edited:

1) playing a 4-3 defense
2) bringing in a monster recruiting class his 1st year (debatable)
3) hiring quality guys at the coordinator positions (debatable)

Ehhhh....

2) The 2008 class (with the Northwestern boys) was the one I was referring to. That was Randy's 2nd class. My bad.

3) As far as coordinators are concerned, Randy went from Patrick Nix to Whipple. Major upgrade. At DC he went from Tim Walton to Bill Young. Major upgrade. However, he hired John Lovett (not my personal fave) to replace Young (left for his alma mater OSU). That hire was so-so.

Sad reality is Randy overall was better. Only thing Golden has done better is be white. That gives me hope the next guy can turn it around quickly.

FIFY.

Those stats don't lie. If UM retains The Imposter after this season, racism is the only explanation.

Advertisement
3) And I have said this 1,000 times but I will say it 1,001..Randy wasnt fired because we sucked that year and we lost to USF...Randy was fired because on Senior Day, with all the BOTs sitting in the press box, and on national TV, we had 15,000 fans in the stands that day! 15,000!!!! THAT was the last straw. And that is what ultimately will get Al fired too.

Then Gloden will be fired on Sunday because there is no way in **** there is more than that there this Saturday. Throw in the Pitt game where we very well may be 5-6 or 6-5 at best and that game will look like a HS crowd.

1) playing a 4-3 defense
2) bringing in a monster recruiting class his 1st year (debatable)
3) hiring quality guys at the coordinator positions (debatable)

Ehhhh....

2) The 2008 class (with the Northwestern boys) was the one I was referring to. That was Randy's 2nd class. My bad.

3) As far as coordinators are concerned, Randy went from Patrick Nix to Whipple. Major upgrade. At DC he went from Tim Walton to Bill Young. Major upgrade. However, he hired John Lovett (not my personal fave) to replace Young (left for his alma mater OSU). That hire was so-so.

That 2008 class was "awesome" on paper, but underperformed tremendously.

Whipple was overrated. Young was good, but was not here long enough. Lovett was meh.

Randy was horrible and Golden is at that level right now.

the strange thing about randy was that even though everyone seemed to become super lazy from coaches to players while he was here, he somehow always got his teams to show up for the big games and compete. now the bad losses to the other acc riff raff was unexcusable

Advertisement
I agree at a place like UM the fact that Shannon was let go after 4 years will matter. The NCAA gets Golden a 5th unless we win 5 or 6, or he goes down with Coach D who has to be gone.

Randy was in over his head from the beginning, but he did his best to make improvements. He basically took one for the program, and it didn't work out, but he's still a Cane.

Al is a system guy with a MAC-level philosophy and a soft attitude that is just not a good fit for UM. I'm sure he will be a solid coach for a mid-level program somewhere, but he is killing this U. I expect him to be out by the end of this season.

As to the racist cracks... if true, then why did they hire RS in the first place? It's not like they didn't know what they were getting beforehand.

I dont see any differnce in wins.

Defense difference yes. Bring back an attacking style scheme. what are players know to do and have done since high school.

the #36 for golden's recruiting is lawl, that was after shannon left and everyone bailed. cant count that, come on man.

But player development is true for both. Especially on the defensive side.

Advertisement
Back