Randy Shannon vs Manny Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference: Shannon was neither innovative nor the CEO type. You have to be really good at one or the other if you don’t have both. In Manny, I see an innovative-ish coach who adapts well. Let’s see how he fares as a CEO, but he probably learned on that front from Manny Sr.

I agree with your assessment of Shannon. But I don't think Diaz has demonstrated that he is innovative or the CEO type YET. I also don't see where he has adapted.

Advertisement
The question is about the qualifications of Randy in 2006 vs Diaz in 2018.

You’re right Randy has better qualifications on paper than Manny. So what’s your point? Manny is going to fail since randy had a better resume and failed too?

I wasn’t a fan of the hire either. My main beef was we never did our due diligence. Secondly I had the same concerns that I believe you are implying in your post.

Based on the firings and the hiring of a DC, I’ve come around. What other option is there? And all the other candidates that were suggested each had his own flaws. At least it seems with manny that he’s cutthroat and will make the hard decisions in the name of winning. He’s willing to suppress his ego and hire someone that has more HC experience than him. No more hiring people to build their career or to get coaching experience.

Manny may fail but I guarantee he isn’t going to fail the way randy did.

I agree with your assessment of Shannon. But I don't think Diaz has demonstrated that he is innovative or the CEO type YET. I also don't see where he has adapted.

He’s been above-average to very good with in-game adjustments. I think his D has been too flimsy in the beginning of games, but I also don’t think he recruited well enough (yet) to get there. Also, Richt’s O did the D no favors this year.

Agreed on the CEO front. I hope Manny took notes during all of his DC stints. He seems like he’d be a real **** to work for (if he hasn’t ironed out his ego from his management style)

Manny was choice number 1 because the incompetent administration didn't so much as take 24 hours to consider any other candidate.

The bottom line is that Shannon has no business as a head coach. This was a guy who refused to recruit defensive players under 6 feet. There was a laundry list of studs that prayed to go to Miami but he turned them away because they were not tall enough. That level of incompetence is hard to even begin to comprehend. Now you tell me something Diaz has done to date to match that level of incompetence?

Advertisement
So far he hasn't touched a coach on the defensive side. All he did was get rid of Richt's people.

True but I think you are minimizing the DC hire. He could have easily said he would be calling plays since he’s back or continued the set up Richt had.

By hiring someone on the outside he’s telling Banda and Patke that they are not qualified at this time to run the defense.

That was a unique situation and he could have kept the status quo in order to not hurt anyone’s feelings (including mark richt) since he would be reversing his orders.

Also Manny willing to interview and hire a former head coach is big. A lot of first time coaches don’t normally do that especially in college.

You’re right Randy has better qualifications on paper than Manny. So what’s your point? Manny is going to fail since randy had a better resume and failed too?

I wasn’t a fan of the hire either. My main beef was we never did our due diligence. Secondly I had the same concerns that I believe you are implying in your post.

Based on the firings and the hiring of a DC, I’ve come around. What other option is there? And all the other candidates that were suggested each had his own flaws. At least it seems with manny that he’s cutthroat and will make the hard decisions in the name of winning. He’s willing to suppress his ego and hire someone that has more HC experience than him. No more hiring people to build their career or to get coaching experience.

Manny may fail but I guarantee he isn’t going to fail the way randy did.

My point is not that Manny will fail. I have no idea if he will, and certainly hope he doesn't. My point is that he was a rushed hire without proper consideration given to more qualified possibilities.

Advertisement
Here's what gets me...the initial fan reaction to the Diaz hire was justifiably bad. It was obviously a lazy hire of a guy with a thin resume, made without any search whatsoever. A day later, Manny fires the offensive staff, gets his talk game going, and like a battered woman thinking her husband has finally changed, the retarded fan base is all on board. Not me.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times, shame on me. I wouldn't trust this administration to walk and chew gum at the same time let alone hire a head football coach.

That's a horrible analogy friend. And you might be right but so far Manny has hit on all cylinders...Why don't you wait to pass judgement until things get settled. It's a novel idea I know....

Here's what gets me...the initial fan reaction to the Diaz hire was justifiably bad. It was obviously a lazy hire of a guy with a thin resume, made without any search whatsoever. A day later, Manny fires the offensive staff, gets his talk game going, and like a battered woman thinking her husband has finally changed, the retarded fan base is all on board. Not me.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times, shame on me. I wouldn't trust this administration to walk and chew gum at the same time let alone hire a head football coach.

Agreed on the last part , but **** even Alabama hired Mike Shula to run their program at one point, **** even USC cant get it right since Caroll left and they care about football.. Getting the right coach Is not an exact science. You just made this comparison to Randy Shannon for ***** and giggles firing the entire offensive staff is the most ballsy move a UM head coach has done in years. It gives us hope if not anything else. Hated the Shannon hire Hated the Golden hire, I knew what RIcht was, and Meh about MANNY. It is blatantly apparent that football is not a priority to this university with this hire, it is what it is. all we can hope for is luck that we got a first round talent in the 5th round.

Advertisement
My point is not that Manny will fail. I have no idea if he will, and certainly hope he doesn't. My point is that he was a rushed hire without proper consideration given to more qualified possibilities.

I agree with you on that but that’s not what you implied with the original post.

The timeline was explained in the press conference. It looked like they wanted to spare Temple than to take the time to get it right.

Manny would have never accepted the temple job had richt gave any indication this was possible.

Wisconsin really did us a favor. If we won, richt and his crew would still be here until next season when we have our Clemson vs al Golden moment.

I wasn't crazy about Shannon as HC, but I find this disgraceful.
For all his faults, he contributed alot to the program as a player, a
champion no less, and as an assistant coach.
He should have never been a HC, that's on the school prez and AD
for being short-sighted dimwits.
Essentially calling him a black-****** by likening him to this Radio character
is low-life I wouldn't expect from a fellow Cane fan.
Great post!
The only reason the thread was made (maybe subconsciously) was to create an opportunity to dump on Randy. These micro aggression threads are all over, they have little to no merit or true substance. Default self-esteem.

Agreed on the last part , but **** even Alabama hired Mike Shula to run their program at one point, **** even USC cant get it right since Caroll left and they care about football.. Getting the right coach Is not an exact science. You just made this comparison to Randy Shannon for ***** and giggles firing the entire offensive staff is the most ballsy move a UM head coach has done in years. It gives us hope if not anything else. Hated the Shannon hire Hated the Golden hire, I knew what RIcht was, and Meh about MANNY. It is blatantly apparent that football is not a priority to this university with this hire, it is what it is. all we can hope for is luck that we got a first round talent in the 5th round.

Firing the entire offensive staff is exactly what any coach brought in would have done. It wasn't remotely ballsy.

Advertisement
Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Both "Miami guys" (a meaningless quality)
-Both immediately replaced a failed head coach
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)
-Neither had any other P5 HC offers when hired

The differences:

-Randy won NCs as both a player and coach at Miami, Manny did not
-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not
-Randy coached multiple first round picks at Miami, Manny has not
Press conferences dont mean sht. How great is bill belicheck when it comes to press conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back