Randy Shannon new FSU Co-DC

Advertisement
Advertisement
angry fx GIF by Snowfall

I wonder if they settled for Randy because no other decent DC was willing to come coach for a HC on the hot seat.
That played a part for sure, Randy was an analyst on their staff this season so they just elevated him.

Also, I think FSU might be penny pinching on their assistant budget, they’re not trying to shell out a ton of money on the staff because they’re only paying Norvell $4.25mill & they’re still paying Willie Taggart too.

Advertisement
Leave it to two of the dumbest programs in college football to hire two of our ex-HC’s who failed miserably and actually consider this a win for their defense. Randy was a good recruiter and defensive mind a loooong time ago, but not now. Also, can you picture Manny’s defense, which is notoriously bad against the run, now going to a conference that loves to pound the rock! Dreadful hire by Franklin...
Lmao why do people think coaches who been DCs a while back cannot do it now? They ain’t been out of coaching. They know the game has changed. They can still defend pass happy defenses with old school concepts. Matter fact Randy’s man 2 defense is the same ish these guys are running nowadays just mixing more zone to confuse guys. LSU won with just a man 2 defense. Defense doesn’t win ships anymore, offense does. Your defense just has to give your offense more chances than theirs does by getting more stops and forcing turnovers. But they don’t have to shut people down to win these days.

Advertisement
Can't wait for him to take over as interim head coach. Will be the first guy to be head coach at UM, UF, and FSU

If it were possible to have him as DC I would take him actually. Radio is a pretty good DC. Plus, he's learned a lot since he's been here. But the immense shame would be too much to ever have him back. Miami is not the place for first time coaches.

Advertisement
Well, here's the part I thought was funny about this whole situation regarding Nole fans: I was visiting some of their forums earlier because I was curious to see how they felt about this and the general consensus is that they don't want Randy within ten feet of the defense or involved with input whatsoever. The reason they're celebrating this is because, get this, they actually think this will help them with recruiting in south Florida. What they don't realize is that Randy's name doesn't carry nearly the same clout, or cache, that it did 25-30 years ago. Fans of these other schools think, "Former Miami HC, legendary DC from the hey-days, so he must be able to recruit the Miami area." Most of these kids don't even know who the heck Randy Shannon is until their family or friends explain it to them. I remember when he was at Florida they used to have a term dubbed, "The Randy 3-star special" because those were basically the only kids he could get.

Don’t hate on Shannon, he is just coaching and coaches go where they are wanted and someone is willing to pay.
And frankly we would all do the same thing if we were coaching. This isn’t about what school you like or played for or anything other than trying to feed himself and his family.

Advertisement
Back