Randy Shannon " 2 " Canes Elite...

correct, the evals were awful, but it takes hindsight to confirm that. Still, just in terms of the facts at the time, it was not no.1 except based on the overall number of kids.
At the time I thought, "We'll be back in NO TIME with recruiting like this!" The disappointment that followed was real. Real, and justified.

Advertisement
I agree. I really believe they were talented but they didn’t have anyone to look up too. They were freshmen with basically a freshman coach. He was learning and experimenting on the job and they suffered from it. I believe they had the talent to average 10 wins a season. However, discipline and experience was lacking throughout the program.

Fact; we saw their potential in 09 w/ these boys. First 4 opponents were top 25 and they went 3-1 against those guys. But they were never given any help. OC was changed dang near every 4th quarter it seemed like, and the classes thereafter never supplemented them. It was a chit show in every imaginable way. I still feel bad for them. We can't crucify that class or use that as a basis as to why stars don't matter.

Fact; we saw their potential in 09 w/ these boys. First 4 opponents were top 25 and they went 3-1 against those guys. But they were never given any help. OC was changed dang near every 4th quarter it seemed like, and the classes thereafter never supplemented them. It was a chit show in every imaginable way. I still feel bad for them. We can't crucify that class or use that as a basis as to why stars don't matter.

No I agree. It’s a perfect example of why you need a competent and stable athletic department or you’re going to waste money, resources and talent. I read that he tried to get Kevin Sumlin. If that would of cane through our history would be totally different right now. In an alternate universe we are the dynasty and not Clemson haha.

Only Saban has done well with 5 star players. No one else knows how to consistently get them to work and grow into their potential. They do not run the program. Urban was catching on at OSU compared to his 5 star crash at UF. To get a 5 star is almost a detriment to the team they are on outside of Bama and OSU.

No I agree. It’s a perfect example of why you need a competent and stable athletic department or you’re going to waste money, resources and talent. I read that he tried to get Kevin Sumlin. If that would of cane through our history would be totally different right now. In an alternate universe we are the dynasty and not Clemson haha.

LOL. It seems our beloved program has been plagued w/ what if

What if we would've ran the ball in 86
What if we would've kicked the field goal in 88
What if we would've used screen passes in 92
What if Butch stayed
What if Terry Porter wasn't a douche
What if Shannon would've been allowed to hire Sumlin

Man, so frustrating. lol.

Advertisement
Only Saban has done well with 5 star players. No one else knows how to consistently get them to work and grow into their potential. They do not run the program. Urban was catching on at OSU compared to his 5 star crash at UF. To get a 5 star is almost a detriment to the team they are on outside of Bama and OSU.

So we're just going to ignore Dabo's success? Kirby hasn't had success w/ these guys (including a spot in the NCG in his 2nd year)?

LOL. It seems our beloved program has been plagued w/ what if

What if we would've ran the ball in 86
What if we would've kicked the field goal in 88
What if we would've used screen passes in 92
What if Butch stayed
What if Terry Porter wasn't a douche
What if Shannon would've been allowed to hire Sumlin

Man, so frustrating. lol.

Hahaa so right but RS what if stung the most. We still enjoyed some form of success after the previous what ifs. It feels like that era was a make or break era for us.

But that is a dumb measure, because it rewards small classes. Our class had a bunch of low rated kids in it, but t also had 17 kids who were 4 or 5* kids. We went too far on overall numbers, to be sure, but that is an aside.

No it isn't. If I only need 14 kids this class and I sign 4 5 stars, 7 4 stars and 3 3 stars. That is a better class than someone that signed 1 5 star, 4 4 stars and 30 3 stars even though 247 would say the second class is the higher rated one.

Average player ranking is by far the most important measure.

WTF are you talking about. Every playoff team has had 5 stars on it.

Advertisement
It was 2 5* kids and 15 4* kids on rivals. Numbers lifted the ranking but that is a top 3 class any year.

The evals were awful however. Not just the top rated kids. The 2* kids all stunk, iirc. The 3* kids too. The top rated kids were clearly better than the lower rated kids, which isn’t surprising.
Dude randy played freshman at every position against a veteran Tim tebow all every thing team what the **** was you guys watching and Miami had a good year beat some good teams and lost to some bad teams like I said it wasn't the talent it was
The coaching. Tell me how many offensive
Coordinators we went thru in four years? This ain't about stats, it's about facts!!

**** good post. I don't know how Shannon keeps getting $hitted on, yet you have Coker who lets mr ponzi scheme have unfettered access to our players and recruits less than stellar players into the program. Coker is never really vilified on this site. The **** is mind boggling to say the least.

Some of these guys just didn't like Shannon because he was black plain and simple. A couple few posters even admitted as much and never gave the dude a fair shot. You saw that when he was fired and then those same clowns crowned golden who was far worse as a coach then Shannon was. Shannon was bad but golden was historically bad...... anyways, that's why you see people using dumb *** stats like star avg. to down play chit.

The shannon hire was dumb a **** to begin with. That's what happens when you have an administration focused on trying to make Miami Harvard south than it is with Miami athletics. These lazy hires ****ed me off. theres no reason why Miami can't have a dominating football team, track team and baseball squad on a yearly basis. Athletic department is trash.

Not real hard to understand if you bring in a great coach they will surround themselves with great people. Look at jimmy Johnson staff, Dennis Erickson... chit go look at butch Davis staff in 2000. Now go compare that to Al golden simple *** staff. smh. If the HC moves on you'll have another young energetic guy ready to take his place similar to what you saw at Ohio St with Ryan day and Ou with Lincoln Kennedy. Miami needs an NFL caliber coach plain and simple.

Advertisement
Some of these guys just didn't like Shannon because he was black plain and simple. A couple few posters even admitted as much and never gave the dude a fair shot. You saw that when he was fired and then those same clowns crowned golden who was far worse as a coach then Shannon was. Shannon was bad but golden was historically bad...... anyways, that's why you see people using dumb *** stats like star avg. to down play chit.

The shannon hire was dumb a **** to begin with. That's what happens when you have an administration focused on trying to make Miami Harvard south than it is with Miami athletics. These lazy hires ****ed me off. theres no reason why Miami can't have a dominating football team, track team and baseball squad on a yearly basis. Athletic department is trash.

Not real hard to understand if you bring in a great coach they will surround themselves with great people. Look at jimmy Johnson staff, Dennis Erickson... chit go look at butch Davis staff in 2000. Now go compare that to Al golden simple *** staff. smh. If the HC moves on you'll have another young energetic guy ready to take his place similar to what you saw at Ohio St with Ryan day and Ou with Lincoln Kennedy. Miami needs an NFL caliber coach plain and simple.
Finally someone with some 😄****ing 💡brains. Everything I spoke of stefan Adam's is talking about today.

This class has a chance to be special. I mean battle Clemson for the # 1 spot special. Justin flowe is still talking Miami, get this kid and everyone will follow. darnell, Walker,
Dennis, **** we might get all the decommits back to. I was excited
When randy took over because I knew
He was a great recruiter and a great
DEFENSE guy, just know head coaching experience. But let manny
And this group get what randy had..it will be total annihilation!!

Shannon couldn't recruit to save his life

At the time I thought, "We'll be back in NO TIME with recruiting like this!" The disappointment that followed was real. Real, and justified.
I disagree for one reason,Go back and look at that list bro. He for 4 deep at every position even if he miss he hit. He had what everyone is chasing now all the top recruits and remember we also had the # 1 player in the country committed to authur brown little brother before he went haywire. So dude that class was sick!! And it was not their fault that class didn't succeed.

Advertisement
One guy said something that made sense. He said all our great coaches had great men behind them, that was something randy did not have. **** never should have given him the job and the first place, the guy was not a head coach.

I see you dont know Jack about football remember randy had the Georgia tech guy
First, and than he goes and get mark whipple from some garbage school and the rest is
History if randy had a good QBs coach and an real offensive coordinator lights out with
That team.

Obviosly you dont know jack**** about football. Radio recruited those players? Radio hired those people? Radio developed those players? Remind me what that #1 class accomplished. ACC Coarstal.....nope....any of those make AA....not going to look but pretty sure they didnt......any of those guys do anything at the next level?? Spence might have without the injury. Radio is dog**** as a HC and average at best as a DC

No it isn't. If I only need 14 kids this class and I sign 4 5 stars, 7 4 stars and 3 3 stars. That is a better class than someone that signed 1 5 star, 4 4 stars and 30 3 stars even though 247 would say the second class is the higher rated one.

Average player ranking is by far the most important measure.
You began with a big “IF”. Except the ratings don’t grade on a curve against needs. So not sure what point you are actually making.

Dude randy played freshman at every position against a veteran Tim tebow all every thing team what the **** was you guys watching and Miami had a good year beat some good teams and lost to some bad teams like I said it wasn't the talent it was
The coaching. Tell me how many offensive
Coordinators we went thru in four years? This ain't about stats, it's about facts!!
Randy, is that you?

Advertisement
Back