Randy let Luther Robinson start 2 games even though

-Blazed-

Thunderdome
He failed his conditioning test.

Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro
Pretty alarmed to find out that DT Luther Robinson started 2 games for #UM in 2010 without passing a conditioning test.

Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro
@thejimmyjuice #UM DT Luther Robinson told us Tuesday he had never passed a conditioning test until a couple weeks ago

Y MANNY NAVARRO
MNAVARRO@MIAMIHERALD.COM
Unlike quite a few of his Hurricanes teammates, Luther Robinson doesn’t go by a nickname.

But if the 6-3, 290-pound junior defensive tackle did, he says with a smile, “pepperoni” might be fitting.

“I’m a pizza man,” said Robinson, who used to frequently order a large pepperoni pie from Papa John’s and eat it all by himself in his dorm room.

“It’s been a minute. I had to slow down because it was slowing me down.”

Robinson isn’t slow anymore. And he’s isn’t eating large pizzas all by himself anymore either.

He’s leaner and meaner (he lost 15 pounds and finally passed UM’s gassers test this fall for the first time) and has turned his career around in a matter of months.

Heading into Saturday’s season opener at Boston College, Robinson is “right there” in terms of winning a starting job, according to coach Al Golden. And that’s no small feat when you consider Golden was so fed up with Robinson’s poor conditioning the coach was trying to get him to switch sides and play offensive guard.

“It couldn’t go on the way it was going on,” said Golden, who wasn’t happy it got out that coaches were urging him to switch positions.

“He made changes in his life and he made changes in his approach, and I’m happy for the kid. I couldn’t be more happy for someone in terms of the change they made and the growth they’ve shown. … Everything has changed for him.”

Getting everything to change in terms of Miami’s strength up front is what Golden sought after the Eagles pushed the Hurricanes around in last season’s finale at Sun Life Stadium. The Canes’ entire focus in the offseason was getting bigger and stronger so they could win in the trenches.

UM did that in the weight room, according to strength coach Andrew Swasey. According to Swasey, 36 players were bench pressing 225 pounds (the NFL testing standard) at least 20 times (up from 11 last season), and seven more were doing it at least 30 times.

“I hope we’re more physical,” Golden said. “If you’re going to test that, this is the right outfit to test it against.”

Robinson, who missed the 2011 season with a broken foot and has two career starts (2010) and three career tackles under his belt, said he tested out at 31 reps. But as strong as he is, center Shane McDermott and guard Brandon Linder, who go up against Robinson on a daily basis, said speed has become his game.

“He’s coming off the ball hard, running off the ball, chasing the ball down,” Linder said. “I’ve never seen him in this great of a shape. I think he’s just going to go out and smash people.”

The Hurricanes haven’t had a smasher up front at defensive tackle in awhile. Could Robinson be that guy?

Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio said two weeks ago — the last time assistants were made available to the media — that he had not seen much separation at defensive tackle among Robinson, sophomore Olsen Pierre, senior Darius Smith and a collection of freshmen led by Earl Moore. But as a group, D’Onofrio said, they could be good.

Sophomore defensive end Anthony Chickillo, who said “there is no hiding” that UM was physically outclassed last season by BC, said he expects improvement across the board on the defensive line because of the increased strength numbers.

Golden, meanwhile, is taking a wait and see approach.

“We’re going to find out Saturday at 3:30,” Golden said.

Said Robinson: “We’ve got a lot to prove. Everybody is saying we’re young. But we have to come out and not play young.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/...inson.html#.UD7XS7GnzTY.twitter#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seriously, was this more an indictment on Luther or Shannon?

In defense of Robinson, he wasn't the adult, here

Players who can't pass a basic conditioning test shouldn't even be allowed to partake in drills, let alone start. You make an example out of them. Shannon's fault all the way. Having said that, I think the 2 games Luther started in 2010 were because of injuries. Lewis and Porter were done for the season by the Ohio St. game and there were only 3 other DT's on the roster.

Players who can't pass a basic conditioning test shouldn't even be allowed to partake in drills, let alone start. You make an example out of them. Shannon's fault all the way. Having said that, I think the 2 games Luther started in 2010 were because of injuries. Lewis and Porter were done for the season by the Ohio St. game and there were only 3 other DT's on the roster.

Yeah, sometimes you have to say f'it and play whoever is available, agreed. But to the larger point, the culture needed to change and for anyone that thought Shannon was doing a good job of being the CEO this program is deluded

I would love to see Robinson play well...I mean, ****, we need it.

But, I'm not holding my breath...hopefully he puts the improved conditioning and better play on Greentree together and play well during the season.

Advertisement

Yeah, sometimes you have to say f'it and play whoever is available, agreed. But to the larger point, the culture needed to change and for anyone that thought Shannon was doing a good job of being the CEO this program is deluded

It is beyond obvious that one of the major pillars of the culture here needed to seriously be revamped and reworked...the strength and conditioning at the University of Miami was putrid...and it is good to see that it obviously wasn't Swasey's fault...it was the kids we accepted into the program and the culture that the previous regimes allowed to fester and later harbor. The fact that only 11 members of the team could bench 225 20 times and now 36 players can (nearly half the roster) is such an indictment of what was going on here (guys simply not even trying in the weight room) its silly.

It is beyond obvious that one of the major pillars of the culture here needed to seriously be revamped and reworked...the strength and conditioning at the University of Miami was putrid...and it is good to see that it obviously wasn't Swasey's fault...it was the kids we accepted into the program and the culture that the previous regimes allowed to fester and later harbor. The fact that only 11 members of the team could bench 225 20 times and now 36 players can (nearly half the roster) is such an indictment of what was going on here (guys simply not even trying in the weight room) its silly.

Larry, to me it was alarming that our guys were suddenly in much better shape for the NFL Combine- in a matter of months- than they were for 4/5 years in Coral Gables( and even then, someone who saw them there one year, flat out told me that they looked much less developed than SEC guys). Again, guys caring more about future Sundays than Saturdays- that's culture

Accountability has been missing since the days of the Coker Country Club of Coral Gables. Shannon, sadly, was too clueless to really instill any significant change

Golden, wants a team full of coal shovelers( Golden-ism) and it's beginning to show

How about both? I'm not a huge fan of absolving guys of responsibility just because the coaching failed. Conditions allowed a lot of these guys to be lazy but that doesnt mean they had to be lazy. Robinson has been a seldom-used player here--it's certainly on him in part that he allowed himself to be soft despite languishing on the pine.

This whole idea of guys doing a bunch of nothing until they become draft-eligible is why I couldnt stand guys like Tyrone Moss. I'm personally not turning a blind eye to that just because the coaching changed. I'm sure Robinson's not so clueless that he didnt understand that better offseason work would help him play.

How about both? I'm not a huge fan of absolving guys of responsibility just because the coaching failed. Conditions allowed a lot of these guys to be lazy but that doesnt mean they had to be lazy. Robinson has been a seldom-used player here--it's certainly on him in part that he allowed himself to be soft despite languishing on the pine.

+1

Advertisement

This whole idea of guys doing a bunch of nothing until they become draft-eligible is why I couldnt stand guys like Tyrone Moss. I'm personally not turning a blind eye to that just because the coaching changed. I'm sure Robinson's not so clueless that he didnt understand that better offseason work would help him play.

man if only Randy was still here. stupid Robinson!

Sounds like threatening to move him to OL lit the fire in Robinson

Golden just gets it

/ Props to Golden and Robinson. Rooting for the kid

It sounds like the coaches are not convinced by the DTs. They will be better than last year, but I think we bring in a big haul in DTs to replace some of the old guard to improve that position.

Accountability. What a concept. I cant believe it took 3 head coaches and 8 years to figure that out. Way to go Coker and Shannon

Advertisement
can't wait until the infection from this team is eradicated. the shacoker years was like an open wound and that **** festered here. Al came here in a penicillin coated suit and is doing a hurricane job of cleaning that **** out.

Yeah, responsibility fails on both here, but I'm putting it at about 70% corches fault and 30% Robinsons.

Yeah, responsibility fails on both here, but I'm putting it at about 70% corches fault and 30% Robinsons.
Yes. Some kids are self-motivated. Many are not. Many guys in the past only found the motivation before NFL combine time(this makes me want to puke). It's up to the coach to figure out how to get the most out of his players while they are here. Part of that is knowing which button to push for each individual. The previous two coachs apparently had no idea how to do that. I believe Golden does - just like JJ did.

It's funny because Randy used to preach about how we were the best conditioned team in America.

I guess he thought that practicing in extreme heat was enough compared with everyone else.

Advertisement
Back