Random Observations on the Clemson Game

I find it very interesting that many r quick to take up for Garcia, but quick to throw Brown under the bus. Interesting
I told people last week if you care about brown and his future you don’t want him playing next year. Let him mature , learn / focus on the passing game and mechanics from a real OC / Qb coach. Then let him go as a rs Soph.

Fact is we blew his rs using him as a crash test dummy in a lost season. The lunatics crowning him last week are just desperate and need anything to hang their hat on. The people saying he’s a bum are just as bad. We knew he was a developmental guy when he got here , it’s not his fault idiots forgot that.

Maybe the Ncaa will give him a year back kinda like Covid but call it a Gattis year.

Advertisement
We need TVD to come back really badly. We need another year to develop Jacurri, see what the recruit has, and go find another 1-2. Otherwise, we need to be very active in the portal. We don't have a QB we can win with right now if TVD is gone.
But you left out TVD can't win

I find it very interesting that many r quick to take up for Garcia, but quick to throw Brown under the bus. Interesting

Idiot fans. This is the recipe for turning your qb room around next year :

- hire a good OC and QBC
- convince TVD to come back
- encourage garcía to find another home
- redshirt brown
- get a portal qb to be tvd’s backup
- emory is 3rd string

Jmo

Where are you getting this information about Gattis?

Gattis teaching 1 read for the QB? That is so ridiculous it's comical.

First of all, Gattis coaches the WRs. Ponce coaches the QBs.

No OC or QB coach is going just teach a 1 read concept ignoring the 2-3 other WRs that may be open.
To Start, it is Gattis' offense. Ponce has to teach the QBs what Gattis wants. Not what Ponce's believes. There are many who have been mentioning a major disconnect between Gattis and Ponce... Why would that be?

Yes, they teach 1 read plays but with an option to throw to one of 2 receivers. It is the same with an RPO or read option. The read is just a Safety. If a QB went to a 4th WR on a play where that 4th WR is a decoy and not part of Gattis' read, the QB would take in on chin in film session. It is not every play though. Our QBs are not 1 read QBs, they are reading their called key on play.

You can believe me or not. Up to you.

Advertisement
Idiot fans. This is the recipe for turning your qb room around next year :

- hire a good OC and QBC
- convince TVD to come back
- encourage garcía to find another home
- redshirt brown
- get a portal qb to be tvd’s backup
- emory is 3rd string

Jmo
Definitely not a bad idea

idk what more y’all need to see from Garcia
Nothing Offer GIF

3) Jake should be the starting QB. The QB situation has been horribly mismanaged. Jake is the best QB on the roster.

(A) TVD was 3-5 this year with a QBR of 52 (and around a .500 W-L QB the last 2 years -- including the hot streak). In his best games, he put up lots of yds but he has not really had any signature wins (maybe Pitt last yr). He's also had some redzone scoring issues so he gains lots of yards (when he's on) but does not score that many points.
Garcia is not nor has ever been better than TVD and he has showed us as much. But because he comes in and goes *checks notes* 3-5 for 15 yards and a TD, that proves he’s better than TVD?

To Start, it is Gattis' offense. Ponce has to teach the QBs what Gattis wants. Not what Ponce's believes. There are many who have been mentioning a major disconnect between Gattis and Ponce... Why would that be?

Yes, they teach 1 read plays but with an option to throw to one of 2 receivers. It is the same with an RPO or read option. The read is just a Safety. If a QB went to a 4th WR on a play where that 4th WR is a decoy and not part of Gattis' read, the QB would take in on chin in film session. It is not every play though. Our QBs are not 1 read QBs, they are reading their called key on play.

Yes, that's RPO which is just one part of the offense and most schools have it in their playbook.

I don't believe that is all they are teaching as it would be detrimental to the player and the program.

We weren't even running RPO or very little of it in the beginning of the season.

Advertisement

makes sense.... Ponce disconnected and having issues with Gattis.... WR open but not getting looks (according to people at games), TVD's frustrations....

yep, makes alot of sense.

No, here are just some of the ways Garcia is both the best QB on the roster and the best of the healthy QBs on the roster:

1) He's 1-0 and willed his team to victory on the last play. TVD is a .500 QB over the last 2 yrs and 3-5 this yr with a QBR of 52. JB is 1-1

2) Jake has scored the most points per minute of any of the QBs this season. Against the same opponent on the same day, he's outscored both TVD (MTSU & Duke) and Jacurri (today 7 vs 3).

3) He's currently way more effective passing the ball than JB. Against any quality opponent (like Clemson or FSU), you cannot be a one trick pony or you end up with 80 yards of offense through 3 qtrs. You do realize that TVD has a 52 QBR this year and struggled to hit the side of a barn against weak opponents, right? I think too many on here are remembering all the yards from last year.

Jake is the best QB on the roster and the facts prove it. Yes, he needs to cut down on the turnovers and improve his pocket awareness but he's still young & can improve. I believe he has the physical tools to be highly effective. He will score more than other QB on our roster, if he's not handcuffed by the playcalling.
Did you actually watch the UVA game? Garcia **** near blew it on the GW play by not making the simple toss to Brantley.

Garcia has no pocket awareness, and can't identify a blitz if his life depended on it. Never mind his issues with turnovers. Dude has some of the most egregious picks I've ever seen in my 36 years of being on this planet.

He isn't the most athletic, and honestly, his accuracy is spotty at best.

Can Garcia improve? Yes, but let's stop pretending that he's Dan Marino back there. He's as mediocre a passer as Jacurri Brown, the only difference is that at least Jacurri gives you something with his legs. Brown also isn't nearly the turnover machine, and he's a TRUE FRESHMAN. Garcia has been around a college program for two years, and still insists on making throws that a HS senior should know are bad throws.

Totally agree. Dude is like a dead fish on the sideline. His affect is flat during games and his overall demeanor does not inspire or instill confidence in his teammates.
Cliches abound. TVD Is a quiet cat, that's how he approaches the game. You never see him get too high, or too low, that's the way he is. Too many people overrate the fiery, passionate leader shtick. You can tell that he desperately wants to play, and he's frustrated about it. I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't going through a tough bout of depression and it is leaking out.

Last year, guys were playing hard for TVD, even though he replaced a talented, popular guy in King, who was a high end leader. What's the difference between this year and last? 1)Gattis is significantly worse than Lashlee and 2) I don't think you have the leadership in certain rooms that you had last year. Guys like Rambo and Harley were mature and led accordingly. The WR room is a mess, the hardest workers on the team(X and Young) can't get through to the guys, mostly because you have a ton of soft malcontents(#5, #0). That's tough to overcome and the only way you fix that is to turn the roster over.

Advertisement
Honestly, with this high school JV offensive playbook that Gattis runs I don’t know how you guys know who is better than the other. One has flashes and then is back to the same **** m. Gattis runs the same 5 plus every other drive. 😂😂 sucks because everyone on offense is going to transfer after the season and we will never really now who is good. SMH

Despite a poor performance on O, we actually had a small glimmer of hope at one point in this game (after Jake came in & threw a TD and then was driving for a 2nd quick score). Proud of the team for fighting & not quitting (even when down 26-3). Our D stepped up in Q3 (although Clemson's inconsistent QB & quite a few turnovers played a big part in that). Props to Wes, LT, JW & Kam for stepping up.

Jacurri has a bright future & could develop into a true dual threat QB but he needs 1-2 yrs to polish his passing game. He's a fighter & has great competitive spirit but both the Clemson & FSU games have shown that he needs time to develop his passing. This is based on fact (not emotions) as he had 53 yds passing, a 46% comp %, and a 27.3 QBR. Jake is clearly the better QB at this stage & by a wide margin. Anyone that thinks otherwise does not know what they're looking at. Jake scored more points in one qtr than JB did in three. Jake had a QBR of 104.2 (vs 27.3 for JB). Jake's stats would have been even better if Skinner -- who will be a stud going forward -- had made that one tough catch of a well thrown ball. Jake would have had us in position to score again quickly & bring the deficit to 26-17, if that catch had been made. Another drive was completely ruined by all the "check-with-me" garbage which caused: (i) an OL to get jittery & move while waiting for an eternity; (ii) a delay of game penalty; and (iii) any rhythm Jake was establishing on offense to be completely destroyed. He was then sacked on the next drive by a defender that was completely untouched. GIVE THE MAN SOME HELP & A CHANCE!

Three things are blindingly obvious:

1) The OC should be relieved of his duties immediately. Mario should reduce his salary (if necessary) to make that happen. We had 98 total yds on O. That is gross football malpractice IMHO. Ponce is very likely not the answer long term but he can do better than 98 lousy yards on O against Pitt. Mario desperately needs to show NOW that this program has a bright future. He's not doing that with the current OC. He can sell that with a new OC hire (or at least point to hope for offensive improvement while he hires his next OC).

2) Wesley B has a really bright future. Thankfully, we finally injected some athleticism at the LB position...and what a difference it made. He had solo 8 tackles (more than the entire LB corps had been producing in most prior games). He has "it" and injected some much-needed speed, athleticism and "violence" to the play of that group. Hope he keeps working hard & honing his craft because he has real potential.

3) Jake should be the starting QB. The QB situation has been horribly mismanaged. Jake is the best QB on the roster. Once again, he came in & quickly threw a TD. He was driving us towards a 2nd quick score until Skinner unfortunately dropped that tough catch. Clemson is the best team we've faced & he didn't throw an INT. He can move the offense efficiently, if they get him some protection & stop killing the rhythm of the offense with the check-with-me garbage. I guarantee you he would have thrown for 200-250 yds minimum against Clemson, if the OC JUST LET HIM PLAY. Instead, a choice was made that led to 50 passing yds through 3 qtrs. This is just mind-boggling to me. At this point, the coaches have to scramble to fix the major blunder they made in starting JB way before he is ready. I'd make recruiting Jake to stay the #1 priority at this point because:

(A) TVD was 3-5 this year with a QBR of 52 (and around a .500 W-L QB the last 2 years -- including the hot streak). In his best games, he put up lots of yds but he has not really had any signature wins (maybe Pitt last yr). He's also had some redzone scoring issues so he gains lots of yards (when he's on) but does not score that many points.

(B) JB won't be fully ready to start for another 1-2 yrs. Given the Rashada decommit, we badly need Jake to stay at Miami. Give him real prep & support as QB1 & he will shine.

It's never been more clear that this '23 recruiting class is mission critical at this point. Got to land Samson, keep Kinsler, add some key additional targets on DL, some more high quality WR & top RBs. We can win consistently going forward, if the roster is absolutely loaded with talent. No class will be more important to Mario's tenure here than this one. JR & others (together with the coaches & staff) have a super important role to play and Miami needs to absolutely crush it on the trail this yr. It's the single most likely way Mario's tenure will be highly successful.

Your thoughts?
Agree with some of your thoughts, disagree with others. The bottom line is the best option at QB is the guy who produces points for his squad.

I believe Brown has a bright future. The reality is he has no business being the guy at this point. I see lots of comparisons to Hendon Hooker being made and it’s way off base at least at this point. First and foremost Hooker wasn’t called upon too early. He was also more mechanically refined coming out of high school (had the pleasure of watching a couple of his games) and is a different guy than Jaccuri at this point. I understand the staff giving him a shot and don’t disagree with it as he has the makeup to overcome the adversity and ups and down which come with it. But that missed throw to X and some others we’ve seen are game killers in so many ways. Bottom line is he’s inexperienced, young, a bit wide eyed, and mechanically unsound so what’s to be expected?

I’m not as down on Garcia as some others are. Again, just a sophomore who is in his 2nd system in 2 years. It’s a poor system to boot with a below average group of receivers and a poor, undermanned, over injured offensive line. It’s interesting how many correctly call out Gattis, his system, and his play calling yet are willing to sacrifice and open the exit doors for this guy as he gets his brains beat in. Sure some of it is him not making a decision. But a good chunk of the time he has no good decision to make and he’s standing in taking lick after lick. Jake’s a different guy than the other two not only in physical traits, but especially in how he’s wired. The air of confidence he has and his desire to be the guy is a tough mix between what he has all around him and the square peg in a round hole scheme and play calling he’s stuck with.

Obviously having a healthy TVD would have been ideal, I think all can agree on that. He also has been a victim of Gattis. It’ll be interesting to see what side he falls on as far as the big decisions he has upcoming. Yes he’s been victimized by Gattis. But he’s also had some self inflicted growing pains (referenced them in a few other posts and I’ll leave it at that) which I believe will make him better in the long run as a player and as a young man. At this point he’s been the only QB on the roster who in game has shown the ability to make the plays needed to sway a game. I don’t think there’s any argument that he’s light years farther along than anyone else.

Overall it’s pretty obvious this has been a mess. The bottom line is someone will come out of this better as a player and as a leader. Mario will turn to that guy, make no mistake about that. And for the it’s in this guy or that guy’s best interest to transfer talk. I’ll take all the experiences QB help I can take as far as the team goes. As for the players themselves. Maybe it’s best for them not to move, let stuff play out, and compete for a gig. There will be no favoritism with Mario. If a guy thinks he can be the guy if he sticks then that’s the type of guy I want to stay around.

My biggest question with Garcia is whether he see the clock winding down on his eligibility and decides to risk a move. He's not overtaking a healthy TVD, so the odds of him starting next year if TVD returns are slim and Brown needs a year with a good QB coach to develop.

Advertisement
Cliches abound. TVD Is a quiet cat, that's how he approaches the game. You never see him get too high, or too low, that's the way he is. Too many people overrate the fiery, passionate leader shtick. You can tell that he desperately wants to play, and he's frustrated about it. I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't going through a tough bout of depression and it is leaking out.

Last year, guys were playing hard for TVD, even though he replaced a talented, popular guy in King, who was a high end leader. What's the difference between this year and last? 1)Gattis is significantly worse than Lashlee and 2) I don't think you have the leadership in certain rooms that you had last year. Guys like Rambo and Harley were mature and led accordingly. The WR room is a mess, the hardest workers on the team(X and Young) can't get through to the guys, mostly because you have a ton of soft malcontents(#5, #0). That's tough to overcome and the only way you fix that is to turn the roster over.
this ^^ x 100

I told people last week if you care about brown and his future you don’t want him playing next year. Let him mature , learn / focus on the passing game and mechanics from a real OC / Qb coach. Then let him go as a rs Soph.

Fact is we blew his rs using him as a crash test dummy in a lost season. The lunatics crowning him last week are just desperate and need anything to hang their hat on. The people saying he’s a bum are just as bad. We knew he was a developmental guy when he got here , it’s not his fault idiots forgot that.

Maybe the Ncaa will give him a year back kinda like Covid but call it a Gattis year.
I was kind of worried about the QB situation but it's now clear that we need TVD to come back next year and then let Brown be the guy after that. Emory can be the 3rd QB and hopefully the coaches continue to take 1 QB each year. Seems like the situation calls for Jake to transfer out if he ever expects to earn real playing time.

You cannot judge any QB on results of a Gattis-run offense..... he single handedly destroyed a preseason Heisman contender. Nothing about this offense looked right from game 1.

Advertisement
Back