Raising Canes: 2012 preparation begins

Problem2

All-American
Premium
[video=youtube;LEHi1SEXKa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUt_bQWpCLU4080yFUVUriAA&v=LEHi1SEXKa8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Advertisement
interesting how they're doing clean type of exercises on smith machines.

Queue alex, et al....

Clements needs to work on his squat form. No quarter squats.

Maybe he's just trying to work on the little hitch for something like a push jerk but he's coming too far down for that really and not really exploding up out of it, although they probably aren't really in the high speed part of their conditioning program. In either case, he's working on the last part of hip extension, probably in preparation for what I mentioned.

interesting how they're doing clean type of exercises on smith machines.

Queue alex, et al....

Where do you see the smith machines?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I always appreciate these little glimpses. You never want to draw too much from a 6 minute video but there's some good and not so good.

I wonder why Seantrel was doing DB pullovers? Hopefully he isn't/hasn't had complications or any little setbacks. I cant for the life of me figure why else he would be doing them unless he was somewhat restricted.

Good to see them boys doing the front squats. I like it. Squats looked like **** though.

Unfortunately the best workout in the video was being done by Swasey. I would hope he is passing that stuff around.

Swasey is stronger than any of our players

that definately isnt good....

aww lawd....

like i said..we need another "legit" guy in there WITH Swasey.....think it would run more smoothly....

dont want guys ,..." getting over"....because of lack of monitor....for ex."Glen Cook".

Where's guy from Temple.??

Advertisement
They should be front squatting more than I see in that video.

And that weight room needs some updating. Even the U's regular gym has nicer weight plates and newer racks.

Last edited:
If by 5-3-1 you're referring to the # of reps, don't you think that would come later in the weight training program? We have the extra time this year, right now they could very well be focusing on adding the bulk, next phase could be the strength-focused part you are talking about, and after that the dynamic movement/speed/explosiveness/whatever you want to call part of it.

If by 5-3-1 you're referring to the # of reps, don't you think that would come later in the weight training program? We have the extra time this year, right now they could very well be focusing on adding the bulk, next phase could be the strength-focused part you are talking about, and after that the dynamic movement/speed/explosiveness/whatever you want to call part of it.

Yeah it's very difficult to draw too many conclusions from a short video. Like Alex pointed out though, the facility needs updated. I had a few mild concerns as well but you can't really draw a line in the sand from that.

Advertisement
Im guessing since the season just recently ended that there on the beginning of there routine which means high reps with lower weight, which is what we saw in that video.

Yeah it's very difficult to draw too many conclusions from a short video. Like Alex pointed out though, the facility needs updated. I had a few mild concerns as well but you can't really draw a line in the sand from that.

Yeah I agree, and Swasey didn't divulge too much...I laughed when they asked him about the routine and he was just like "yeah, we're doing bench press and squats and stuff like that...". But regardless, you're right that it's very hard to tell from a short clip what they're working on.

As far as the facilities: Yes they are not top of the line and yes the equipment is old, but it's not actually as dirty and grimey as the video makes it look. I had the pleasure of having one of my classes in the facility, it was a strength and conditioning class so we actually used their equipment, and while it wasn't glamorous, it also wasn't as horrible as many make it out to be (not saying you're one of them). It was always clean and well-kept, everything in order, and had everything you need to run an effective strength and conditioning program. I mean, the equipment is a little beat up but you have football players using the stuff many times per week...stuff is going to get beat up.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents about it. It would be nice to have new shiny equipment but when it comes down to it, the facility is a pretty cool place, always well-kept, and has everything you need. I felt comfortable there. I think if it was as over the top as Oregon's or OSU's it wouldn't be as comfortable of a place to hang out.

1.png

Advertisement

Yeah I agree, and Swasey didn't divulge too much...I laughed when they asked him about the routine and he was just like "yeah, we're doing bench press and squats and stuff like that...". But regardless, you're right that it's very hard to tell from a short clip what they're working on.

As far as the facilities: Yes they are not top of the line and yes the equipment is old, but it's not actually as dirty and grimey as the video makes it look. I had the pleasure of having one of my classes in the facility, it was a strength and conditioning class so we actually used their equipment, and while it wasn't glamorous, it also wasn't as horrible as many make it out to be (not saying you're one of them). It was always clean and well-kept, everything in order, and had everything you need to run an effective strength and conditioning program. I mean, the equipment is a little beat up but you have football players using the stuff many times per week...stuff is going to get beat up.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents about it. It would be nice to have new shiny equipment but when it comes down to it, the facility is a pretty cool place, always well-kept, and has everything you need. I felt comfortable there. I think if it was as over the top as Oregon's or OSU's it wouldn't be as comfortable of a place to hang out.

Ah, good stuff, thanks for the input. I am pretty old school in my approach to training. You give me a barbell, some weights, and someone who wants to work, and I will get you results.

Just saying, for the recruits it's always nice to blow them away since most of them don't know any better.

Bryan: Get in the fitness thread in the WEZ with some regularity. You know your ****. Your insight would help. Do you have a kinesiology degree from the U?

Bryan: Get in the fitness thread in the WEZ with some regularity. You know your ****. Your insight would help. Do you have a kinesiology degree from the U?

Ex Phys

Honestly, the reason I haven't been there is because I read that thread a couple times on grassy (and a couple other forums that had similar threads) and I would just get angry at the things being said or shake my head at the ridiculousness of the comments and (usual) arguing going on. It's also difficult because there's so many hard-headed people in those types of threads who will not deviate from their "tried and true" approaches to training and consider newer approaches and current research.

Having said that, I'll check it out more often.

Last edited:
When did you get degree?

And check it out on occasion. Some different viewpoints/healthy conversation is always helpful.

Advertisement
Back