Quote from Thomas Brown Re: Offensive Leadership

On the field, a better Kaaya and we are at worst 6-2. At Notre Dame on Deep passes he was either late or overthrow too many times. We will look back in 3-5 years and wonder how with guys like Coley, Richards and Njoku our passin game is not more vertical. It was there Saturday, he just did not make the throws. The pick should have been a pick 6.

Advertisement
This is where COACHING come in to play. If Kaaya is not grasping certain things or having difficulties in certain areas, coach to his strength! How does he regress so far under Richt's tutelage v. Coley's tutelage? I'm not going through another staff becoming staph by blaming players v. taking responsibility.

Like all of the arguments that are going on about the state of the team, it's easy to pin the blame on only a player or unit, or only on a coach or coaches, and the reality generally is somewhere in between. Lu, in this circumstance, I guess I don't see this as a coach throwing a player or players under the bus and not taking responsibility. One of the reasons I say that is because the head coach has been pretty vocal about taking responsibility for many of Kaaya's specific problems on the field, and yet still acknowledging that Kaaya does have the responsibility as a player to make certain plays.

Could Brown have also come out and say that along with players stepping up as leaders that the coaches also have to step up? Sure, but to me, there is a difference between a coach calling out players for not executing the plays or system correctly, which in a lot of ways is on the coaches to get his players to execute correctly or to put the guys in who will execute, and a coach calling out players to take leadership, which is an intangible that a coach can try and get out of his players but ultimately, in my mind, is something that a player or players have to take on their own without the coaches.

In the ND game, before the 4th quarter, I saw Njoku in the middle of the entire team trying to get everyone fired up. Maybe he can continue to take a leadership role. Some guys clearly aren't comfortable being vocal leaders, and Kaaya is a guy that does not look to be that guy. Unfortunately, the most natural person on the offense to take that role is the QB, because he obviously has the ball in his hands the most. I'd love to see Kaaya get fired up and take charge, but not sure that's in the cards. Also, the problem with vocal leadership is that it only goes as far as the credibility of the player, which is earned by making plays. It's a chicken/egg situation, as to be seen as credible, you have to make important plays, and sometimes in order to make those important plays, you need to be able to get the best out of your teammates through leadership. Clearly, Kaaya has not been able to make the big time plays in the crucial situations, and until he does, his attempts to get everyone to follow him may not be effective.

Thomas Brown has been a disaster in every sense with the lone exception of our RBs taking good care of the ball.

richt doesnt have confidence in kaaya imo. listen to him on joe rose. he mentioned a list of things kaaya struggling with that are all mental

He's holding the ball too long. The OP can't block. DTs are literally using Linder as a weapon. They're just throwing him at whoever has the ball.

And Brown is dead on correct. It's past time for someone on offense to stop being a fcking cheeseburger.

So put Rosier in and see if he becomes a leader.

True statement.
Funny visual.
Very frustrating.

Advertisement
kaaya is here for a reason - he is not that good. Al recruit a top QB in the nation, yeah right. Anyone can have great stats with Duke Johnson in the backfield.

Morris didnt have great stats with duke. He never threw more than 21td passes and couldnt complete 60% of his passes.

On the field, a better Kaaya and we are at worst 6-2. At Notre Dame on Deep passes he was either late or overthrow too many times. We will look back in 3-5 years and wonder how with guys like Coley, Richards and Njoku our passin game is not more vertical. It was there Saturday, he just did not make the throws. The pick should have been a pick 6.

The corners were playing off all day.
If anything, we had a free 5 yards if we wanted it. That being said, In one of our last 2 drives before the half, Kaaya missed high on a curl to Richards at the first down marker (next play he took a sack and we had to kick). So he was missing the short stuff as well.

Tough not to get any points with the ball at their 35 yard line, twice, before the half.
I believe that cost us the game.

No it doesnt cut both ways, Thomas Brown has coached elite players and knows what hes talking about. Brad Kaaya is the qb and an upperclassmen lets get serious if he was half as good as this board made him out to be we would be a 1 loss team regardless of anything else we wanna harp about.

Kaaya has already admitted before that he would shut down and turn into a little ***** if someone yelled at him smh dude is our biggest issue by far on offense and the coaches can see it as clear as day.
Thomas Brown is an expert on QBs or offensive coordinating? Please tell me more about Coach Brown's experience. Perhaps I'll learn something.

He is an expert compared to everyone on this board. Hes "only" one of the best rb coaches in cfb and has been exposed enough to know what it takes on all levels to have a good football team. You must think he has less credibility to criticize Brad Kaaya than you do to critize him?

Ha. Now I see where we are in this cycle. The familiar "he's more of an expert than you, so you can't question anything or discuss observations." Well, there's a high probability Brad Kaaya is more of an expert at playing high level QB than you are, and you go up and down this board criticizing him.

Terrible logic on your part re: criticism. I think anyone has a right to discuss and share what they see. I'm sure you're aware this is a football message board. I didn't comment on his "right to criticize." I commented on the irony of his criticism without owning at least a portion of the accountability himself.

my logic is terrible? youre the one that made your original post challenging and trying to discredit his coaching in an immediate objection against his opinion....

Then when I make a response you reply with the "he's just a rb coach what does he know bs"?? Which tells me where you really stand... that youre dug in on defending Kaaya while taking shots at this coaching staff. Coach Richt challenged Kaaya's lack of leadership, you jump to Kaayas defense by throwing this coaching staff under the bus, Thomas Brown does the same thing, and you react the same way.

In terms of that weak comparison to my criticism of Brad kaaya... Brad Kaaya is more of an expert than me at the QB position, but he is still garbage that we can see on the field. Completely different than youre ridiculous attempts at trying to discredit everyone on this coaching staffs opinions if they are critical of Brad Kaaya in anyway.

To be clear, I "discredited" (questioned) his apparent lack of leadership in my OP. Then you went on to make his perspective somehow infallible, so I asked about his experience.

Your last rationalization about how it's ok to criticize Brad Kaaya is hilarious. I've criticized both Brad and the coaching staff. It's not a binary choice to most people, but I can see it is for you. I believe it's a narrow perspective.

Like all of the arguments that are going on about the state of the team, it's easy to pin the blame on only a player or unit, or only on a coach or coaches, and the reality generally is somewhere in between. Lu, in this circumstance, I guess I don't see this as a coach throwing a player or players under the bus and not taking responsibility. One of the reasons I say that is because the head coach has been pretty vocal about taking responsibility for many of Kaaya's specific problems on the field, and yet still acknowledging that Kaaya does have the responsibility as a player to make certain plays.

Could Brown have also come out and say that along with players stepping up as leaders that the coaches also have to step up? Sure, but to me, there is a difference between a coach calling out players for not executing the plays or system correctly, which in a lot of ways is on the coaches to get his players to execute correctly or to put the guys in who will execute, and a coach calling out players to take leadership, which is an intangible that a coach can try and get out of his players but ultimately, in my mind, is something that a player or players have to take on their own without the coaches.

In the ND game, before the 4th quarter, I saw Njoku in the middle of the entire team trying to get everyone fired up. Maybe he can continue to take a leadership role. Some guys clearly aren't comfortable being vocal leaders, and Kaaya is a guy that does not look to be that guy. Unfortunately, the most natural person on the offense to take that role is the QB, because he obviously has the ball in his hands the most. I'd love to see Kaaya get fired up and take charge, but not sure that's in the cards. Also, the problem with vocal leadership is that it only goes as far as the credibility of the player, which is earned by making plays. It's a chicken/egg situation, as to be seen as credible, you have to make important plays, and sometimes in order to make those important plays, you need to be able to get the best out of your teammates through leadership. Clearly, Kaaya has not been able to make the big time plays in the crucial situations, and until he does, his attempts to get everyone to follow him may not be effective.
The bolded is all I ask for from Brown or any coach. Criticize yourself while rightfully criticizing or making implications about your players. You're symbiotic. Especially in this particular case. So, if you agree he could have commented differently, then that is the simple point I made in my post on this topic. The funny thing is I've been fairly open about my concerns for Brad - going back to the beginning where I hoped to see X, Y, Z from him and had not yet seen it. So, this commentary (not from you) making me a Kaaya apologist is simply hilarious.

Advertisement
Thomas Brown has been a disaster in every sense with the lone exception of our RBs taking good care of the ball.

Hes coaching this isnt harry potter. You dont think hes done enough before he got here to warrant not being judged by the results of an incomplete process?

Thomas Brown hit da nail on da head.

Well I disagree to a point...leaders are developed. If a new coaching staff has been put in place then it is their responsibility to set the conditions for leaders to lead. This staph clearly hasn't done that.

Leaders are developed to a point but you have to already have it in you. There is no magic formula to make someone a leader. Brad has always been who he is. If he hasn't shown it by now there is nothing anyone can do it to get it out of him.

One of the greatest leaders of our times says the opposite. Unless you have won 5 nattys and 3 gold medals then I think he is the expert here. Here's a few quotes below.

“During the season, your team should be led with exuberance and excitement. You should live the journey. You should live it right. You should live it together. You should live it shared. You should try to make one another better. You should get on one another if somebody’s not doing their part. You should hug one another when they are. You should be disappointed in a loss and exhilarated in a win. It’s all about the journey.”

“When a leader takes responsibility for his own actions and mistakes, he not only sets a good example, he shows a healthy respect for people on his team.”

Coach K

Advertisement
Back