Quinn Ewers NIL Deal

Very true, but this is one kid, and he's a generational QB prospect. Not every kid is getting $1.4M. Not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying this is VERY MUCH the exception and not the norm.

Also, let's see how it plays out. This is all brand new. Your worth is what someone decides to pay you. Right now, someone thinks investing $1.4M in this kid is worth it from a business standpoint. In 3-4 years, that might be comically high or comically low. And the market will adjust. We'll see.
The devil is in the details. I'd be surprised if there isn't contract termination language in the deal that saves the company a bundle. It's going to be interesting to see how these big money guys stay eligible. I would think the incentive to go to class and study becomes much harder when the bank account fills up.

Advertisement
as opposed to graduating with a worthless degree and no $1M?

If you think you're better off getting a big lump sum of money at 18, never seeing money like that again in your life then I don't think you have much experience with situations like that. There's a reason 70% of lottery winners file for bankruptcy, and they aren't a bunch of 18 year olds.

Here's an excerpt from an article on lottery winners:

Lottery winners are more likely to declare bankruptcy within three to five years than the average American. What’s more, studies have shown that winning the lottery does not necessarily make you happier or healthier.

“Evidence shows that most people who make it to the top one percent of income earners usually don’t stay at the top for very long,” writes The Washington Post’s Jonnelle Marte.

Economist Jay L. Zagorsky agrees with the research. He writes for U.S. News and World Report: “Studies found that instead of getting people out of financial trouble, winning the lottery got people into more trouble, since bankruptcy rates soared for lottery winners three to five years after winning.”

Jack Whittaker, who won $315 million in a lottery in West Virginia in 2002, tells Time, “I wish that we had torn the ticket up.” Since winning, Whittaker’s daughter and granddaughter died due to drug overdoses.

Just eight months after winning, he was robbed of $545,000. “I just don’t like Jack Whittaker. I don’t like the hard heart I’ve got,” he said. “I don’t like what I’ve become.”

“He’s the last person I would have prototyped for going completely crazy but he did,” Don McNay, a financial consultant to lottery winners and the author of “Life Lessons from the Lottery,” tells Time about Whittaker. “No question it was because he won the lottery.”

McNay says many winners struggle with suicide, depression and divorce. “It’s the curse of the lottery because it made their lives worse instead of improving them,” he says.

This is what I’m thinking, as well. I got blasted on another sports board where I said it’s absolutely ridiculous to pay an unproven commodity 6 figures. Quinn can be a huge bust, but I think my main concern was these mega deals coming from these blue blood, bag schools & we already saw Saban drop that nugget as a means to further sell The Alabama brand.
How much would Kyle Wright have signed for?

Advertisement
Very true, but this is one kid, and he's a generational QB prospect. Not every kid is getting $1.4M. Not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying this is VERY MUCH the exception and not the norm.

Also, let's see how it plays out. This is all brand new. Your worth is what someone decides to pay you. Right now, someone thinks investing $1.4M in this kid is worth it from a business standpoint. In 3-4 years, that might be comically high or comically low. And the market will adjust. We'll see.
Yeah the second we get a generational talent in Miami his Nil deal will be crazy as well

Miami vs. Ohio State on a market level? Canes every time. Initially, the giants like Ohio State/Alabama/Georgia/Clemson will see gains, but Miami is a much better city and has a more diversified reach. The turnover chain. Two documentaries. If even a whiff of a good thing happens in Miami, it'll click.

Thanks to OP for the topic.

Miami vs. Ohio State on a market level? Canes every time. Initially, the giants like Ohio State/Alabama/Georgia/Clemson will see gains, but Miami is a much better city and has a more diversified reach. The turnover chain. Two documentaries. If even a whiff of a good thing happens in Miami, it'll click.

Thanks to OP for the topic.

I think u all get Big City confused w/ NIL monetary value. U think Houston is getting big NIL deals? What about GT? How about The Zona Wildcats? San Diego St? The two are not equivalent & have very little to do w/ each other.

First of all, Miami is not even in the top 30 as far as largest cities in The U.S, nor is it in the top 15 media markets. Actually Columbus, OH has a bigger populous than Miami by almost 2 to 1.

The NIL is going to based upon

1. Marketability/Profile
2. School Prestige

The only way our players r truly going to benefit from The NIL is when we start taking care of biz, other than that, we’ll be seeing a slew of smaller end deals. Yes, Miami has a ton of billionaires & mega millionaires, but most are transplants & if they do follow us, it’s on a casual basis.

Schools like OU, Michigan, OSU, Bama…basically schools that are practically their Pro Teams, as well…they live & die for these teams.

Bro, we just got an athletic table during the Golden yrs, and an IPF during Richt’s tenure…and both were a struggle to get.

Advertisement
Congrats to the kid! Not bad for someone who should be sitting in a high class right now.

I'm in favour of any rule/policy/etc that allows UM to be competitive in today's cfb world. At the very least, the NIL has offered some balance when recruiting against the bag schools.

**** for 1.4 million I would have skipped my high school year too, imagine being a 17 year old QB millionaire living in college dorms I would have a different woman each day. I would tell coach redshirt me I'll be ready next year while I **** 7 hoes a week

Advertisement
think they need to change the rules that you weren't allowed to sign a nil until after your freshman year in college.. That way you wont see more kids bolt from high school like this kid. Could you imagine giving this type of money to someone like a tate Martell. All hype out of high school and a bust and transfer queen aa well.

we are going to lose out on the 5 star recruits we can barely get now if Miami can’t close the gap with bigger NIL contracts.

Keep telling ya’ll that these NIL deals at these bumfck schools r going to dwarf anything we report. We’re happy guys r getting $6,000/yr, where these jits are striking 6 - 7 figure deals at these schools. The NCAA put zero parameters around this, so it’s going to be the Wild, Wild West. Bagmen have just been given the key to Pandora’s box
I think you are missing the point of what UM did with it NIL work. young and Evers are individuals and certifiably they will make lots of money, but what about the O-linemen and d-backs at those schools? Maybe they are also signing deals but I have not heard of them. To really make NIL a part of a program, as opposed to “you better be a quarterback”, the program needs to secure NIL money for more than 1-2 players. NIL for the team is how you recruit at the non-glamour positions, which are 99% of the players in football.

Advertisement
I think you are missing the point of what UM did with it NIL work. young and Evers are individuals and certifiably they will make lots of money, but what about the O-linemen and d-backs at those schools? Maybe they are also signing deals but I have not heard of them. To really make NIL a part of a program, as opposed to “you better be a quarterback”, the program needs to secure NIL money for more than 1-2 players. NIL for the team is how you recruit at the non-glamour positions, which are 99% of the players in football.

Lol; I suggest u go and see all The NIL deals Bama players have secured. And yeah, that includes their OL. Lol.

So open an LLC. Under whatever Sports related name, give out promotion shirts, make a website and pay the kid money to come to your school aka drop bags to commit.

Lol; I suggest u go and see all The NIL deals Bama players have secured. And yeah, that includes their OL. Lol.
I’m not doing that research but I’m confident UM is doing a lot for its players and will continue to adjust as this evolves.

Advertisement
Back