Quincy Roche notes

Judging by his effort he seemed somewhat disinterested in this game which makes sense considering the circumstances around his transfer - I'd wager he really values winning and playing in meaningful games. This was not a meaningful game.

Great. Just what Miami needs. Can't wait to see him play against

Wagner
UAB
Georgia Tech
Duke
UNC
Pitt
Virginia
Wake Forest

Advertisement
I wanted to know what kind of player we're getting beyond the statistics and accolades but there are no recent videos of him on Youtube. So naturally I tried to find the most relevant game film to watch his snaps. I chose UNC because their LT is playing in the Senior Bowl now, they're in the Coastal and it was the most recent game.

First thing worth mentioning is that Temple spelled Roche for 4 full series in this game - 2 per half. If that's something they do even semi-regularly it makes his statistics much more impressive, and explains his high PFF grade. Judging by his effort he seemed somewhat disinterested in this game which makes sense considering the circumstances around his transfer - I'd wager he really values winning and playing in meaningful games. This was not a meaningful game.

His role/usage looked straight out of Baker's playbook. He was predominantly a RDE in 4-man fronts but occasionally played as a stand-up edge rusher in 3 or 4 man fronts. He also dropped into coverage a handful of times and there were a few plays where Temple stood him up as an LB of sorts to mug at the line and blitz from depth. He's capable of doing all of that but it's more style than substance as we know. Let the rushers rush.

All the talk about him has centered on his pass rush ability but it was his run defense that really stood out. 6'4" 235 is his listed size and he faced off with the aforementioned UNC LT Charlie Heck who's 6'8" 315 and earned a call up from the Shrine Bowl to the Senior Bowl. Roche won that battle quite handily imo. He has long arms and plays with excellent leverage. He's always initiating contact with his hands and he's able to control blocks without giving up ground. This enables him to shed in either direction and he made a couple tackles doing that. His effort in pursuit was missing in this game and there were a couple plays where he abandoned his assignment, but he was physical with Heck from start to finish. I think he embraced that challenge/competition and wanted to win his matchup. There was mutual respect between those guys after the whistle.

As a pass rusher he had limited opportunities but I saw glimpses of the moves that yield impressive production. His go-to move is the outside dip/rip and it's effective because he's assertive with his hands to chop the outside arm. His snap quickness is above average but not elite so he's most dangerous when he times the snap. Most college rushers only have 1 move but Roche also showed an inside counter move where again he chops the inside arm while accelerating straight to the QB. This is not a predetermined move - he's reactive to the LT oversetting too wide.

The areas where he's lacking are body control and balance. He can dip and bend around the edge reasonably well but he can't contort his body the way Rousseau can. He's tightly wound and his legs can get away from his frame so he ends up on the ground more than I'd like.

I liken him to Joe Jackson as a run defender but he's much more polished as a pass rusher, whereas 99 was an effort/cleanup guy. His consistently assertive hand use is something we haven't seen from any DL in recent years and I hope he shares his skills with the rest of the DL room. Miami is getting a mature, skilled, reliable player who can lock down his position consistently while providing multiple impact plays a game. You can't get enough guys like that.

My emphasis on the most important takeaway on film. Ridiculously important for a rush end.

What level of completion did he play against??

The same level of competition our guys played against when they didn’t do **** against FIU, CMU, and Louisiana Tech. Roche produced plenty against G5 teams, what did our guys do against those teams? He has produced, no one outside of GR has done a **** thing...so how are they better? Can you answer that without deflecting and asking me a question?

Advertisement
The same level of competition our guys played against when they didn’t do **** against FIU, CMU, and Louisiana Tech. Roche produced plenty against G5 teams, what did our guys do against those teams? He has produced, no one outside of GR has done a **** thing...so how are they better? Can you answer that without deflecting and asking me a question?

This Temple player is not better than Phillips or Harvey

Ppl thought Trevon Hill was going to be some dominant force when he got here and his last season was forgettable...

It’s cool that Quincy Roche is coming to Miami bc he’s definitely an upgrade over Patchan but I don’t see what all the extra excitement is about, he’s a DE we have great DEs already.

That's the go-to move I referenced.

I don’t like that you can tell he’s disinterested whether the game was meaningful or not.

I've seen a lot worse. He wasn't coasting on the level of Myles Garrett in college. He was selective with his effort. When he dropped in zone and the QB wasn't looking his way he rose in his stance and loafed. When the play went the other way he didn't pursue very hard. It's easy for DL to allow themselves to be blocked and he never did that. His lack of effort therefore didn't really impact the game.

Temple's staff gave him extended rests during the game. I assume they did that for a reason. We have Patchan, Phillips and Harvey so Roche will always be fresh. I don't think effort will be an issue for him at Miami but it would be disingenuous to not make note of what I saw.

Advertisement
I wanted to know what kind of player we're getting beyond the statistics and accolades but there are no recent videos of him on Youtube. So naturally I tried to find the most relevant game film to watch his snaps. I chose UNC because their LT is playing in the Senior Bowl now, they're in the Coastal and it was the most recent game.

First thing worth mentioning is that Temple spelled Roche for 4 full series in this game - 2 per half. If that's something they do even semi-regularly it makes his statistics much more impressive, and explains his high PFF grade. Judging by his effort he seemed somewhat disinterested in this game which makes sense considering the circumstances around his transfer - I'd wager he really values winning and playing in meaningful games. This was not a meaningful game.

His role/usage looked straight out of Baker's playbook. He was predominantly a RDE in 4-man fronts but occasionally played as a stand-up edge rusher in 3 or 4 man fronts. He also dropped into coverage a handful of times and there were a few plays where Temple stood him up as an LB of sorts to mug at the line and blitz from depth. He's capable of doing all of that but it's more style than substance as we know. Let the rushers rush.

All the talk about him has centered on his pass rush ability but it was his run defense that really stood out. 6'4" 235 is his listed size and he faced off with the aforementioned UNC LT Charlie Heck who's 6'8" 315 and earned a call up from the Shrine Bowl to the Senior Bowl. Roche won that battle quite handily imo. He has long arms and plays with excellent leverage. He's always initiating contact with his hands and he's able to control blocks without giving up ground. This enables him to shed in either direction and he made a couple tackles doing that. His effort in pursuit was missing in this game and there were a couple plays where he abandoned his assignment, but he was physical with Heck from start to finish. I think he embraced that challenge/competition and wanted to win his matchup. There was mutual respect between those guys after the whistle.

As a pass rusher he had limited opportunities but I saw glimpses of the moves that yield impressive production. His go-to move is the outside dip/rip and it's effective because he's assertive with his hands to chop the outside arm. His snap quickness is above average but not elite so he's most dangerous when he times the snap. Most college rushers only have 1 move but Roche also showed an inside counter move where again he chops the inside arm while accelerating straight to the QB. This is not a predetermined move - he's reactive to the LT oversetting too wide.

The areas where he's lacking are body control and balance. He can dip and bend around the edge reasonably well but he can't contort his body the way Rousseau can. He's tightly wound and his legs can get away from his frame so he ends up on the ground more than I'd like.

I liken him to Joe Jackson as a run defender but he's much more polished as a pass rusher, whereas 99 was an effort/cleanup guy. His consistently assertive hand use is something we haven't seen from any DL in recent years and I hope he shares his skills with the rest of the DL room. Miami is getting a mature, skilled, reliable player who can lock down his position consistently while providing multiple impact plays a game. You can't get enough guys like that.

This is great. He and Rousseau could be scary if correctly used.

I been here from day 1 lol. I just have had my ups and downs depending on my mood and what not. This is the only forum I post on so it will be tough for me to quit again. I tried a couple times recently when the porsters frustrated me and it didn't last. Twitter is so much worse than even the worst dudes on here.
who are you on twitter so I can follow?

And that is based on absolutely nothing. Harvey hasn’t done anything and looked absolutely lost against LT. Phillips hasn’t played a snap in over 2 years, but they are better than the AAC Def player of the year lol. Your opinion so whatever.

Dude he has "Agenda" written all over his post. How do you say a guy who had 13 sacks isn't better than 2 players who haven't even played a full year yet. I think he's a Manny hater and is running out of things to complain about. LOL

Advertisement
who are you on twitter so I can follow?

I don't tweet about Canes. I use twitter to follow stuff and only interact with Bucs fans and a lot of them are clueless. Maybe if the Canes actually start winning I'll make a real account and share it with the board.

This Temple player is not better than Phillips or Harvey

You’re on drugs , Harvey will be good but he was completely overwhelmed against La Tech. He wasn’t ready , we literally haven’t seen anything from Phillips yet . He could be good.

You’re basing your argument off of nothing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know. There are a handful of us on here. But if the Bucs let Winston walk and replace him with Rivers or worse there will be 1 less cause I'm over that ****.

Also hope we draft Kinlaw and Dallas or Edwards-Helaire.

Bucs fan as well. I haven't liked Winston since day one, but I don't see how the Bucs do anything other than franchise him. I guess we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, e.g. is Winston demanding a long-term deal. But the Bucs hold all the cards with the franchise tag option still available. Rivers is very turnover prone too, and clearly at the end of of his career. He wouldn't be worse than Winston with that, but that would be a confusing move to me. Bucs need to decide if they're going to keep building with the team they have or just tear is down and rebuild. Winston is who is has always been and there's no reason to expect he's going to all of the sudden cut his turnovers in half and become the QB Winston fans see every time they watch him.

Ppl thought Trevon Hill was going to be some dominant force when he got here and his last season was forgettable...

It’s cool that Quincy Roche is coming to Miami bc he’s definitely an upgrade over Patchan but I don’t see what all the extra excitement is about, he’s a DE we have great DEs already.
Hill was a great add for us, he did alot of work 2nd half of season. If I remember correctly he had surgery and was recovering, didnt participate in spring, started slowly in fall camp and didnt really get many snaps to begin the season as Patchan even had Rousseau on bench, lol. After midway thru when Rousseau and Hill got majority of snaps his production was pretty good. We just had **** offense and finished season on such terrible note overall.

You’re on drugs , Harvey will be good but he was completely overwhelmed against La Tech. He wasn’t ready , we literally haven’t seen anything from Phillips yet . He could be good.

You’re basing your argument off of nothing.
Phillips has taken and served notice.

1579635399812.png

Advertisement
Back