Quincy Roche notes

HighSeas

Sophomore
I wanted to know what kind of player we're getting beyond the statistics and accolades but there are no recent videos of him on Youtube. So naturally I tried to find the most relevant game film to watch his snaps. I chose UNC because their LT is playing in the Senior Bowl now, they're in the Coastal and it was the most recent game.

First thing worth mentioning is that Temple spelled Roche for 4 full series in this game - 2 per half. If that's something they do even semi-regularly it makes his statistics much more impressive, and explains his high PFF grade. Judging by his effort he seemed somewhat disinterested in this game which makes sense considering the circumstances around his transfer - I'd wager he really values winning and playing in meaningful games. This was not a meaningful game.

His role/usage looked straight out of Baker's playbook. He was predominantly a RDE in 4-man fronts but occasionally played as a stand-up edge rusher in 3 or 4 man fronts. He also dropped into coverage a handful of times and there were a few plays where Temple stood him up as an LB of sorts to mug at the line and blitz from depth. He's capable of doing all of that but it's more style than substance as we know. Let the rushers rush.

All the talk about him has centered on his pass rush ability but it was his run defense that really stood out. 6'4" 235 is his listed size and he faced off with the aforementioned UNC LT Charlie Heck who's 6'8" 315 and earned a call up from the Shrine Bowl to the Senior Bowl. Roche won that battle quite handily imo. He has long arms and plays with excellent leverage. He's always initiating contact with his hands and he's able to control blocks without giving up ground. This enables him to shed in either direction and he made a couple tackles doing that. His effort in pursuit was missing in this game and there were a couple plays where he abandoned his assignment, but he was physical with Heck from start to finish. I think he embraced that challenge/competition and wanted to win his matchup. There was mutual respect between those guys after the whistle.

As a pass rusher he had limited opportunities but I saw glimpses of the moves that yield impressive production. His go-to move is the outside dip/rip and it's effective because he's assertive with his hands to chop the outside arm. His snap quickness is above average but not elite so he's most dangerous when he times the snap. Most college rushers only have 1 move but Roche also showed an inside counter move where again he chops the inside arm while accelerating straight to the QB. This is not a predetermined move - he's reactive to the LT oversetting too wide.

The areas where he's lacking are body control and balance. He can dip and bend around the edge reasonably well but he can't contort his body the way Rousseau can. He's tightly wound and his legs can get away from his frame so he ends up on the ground more than I'd like.

I liken him to Joe Jackson as a run defender but he's much more polished as a pass rusher, whereas 99 was an effort/cleanup guy. His consistently assertive hand use is something we haven't seen from any DL in recent years and I hope he shares his skills with the rest of the DL room. Miami is getting a mature, skilled, reliable player who can lock down his position consistently while providing multiple impact plays a game. You can't get enough guys like that.

Advertisement
I wanted to know what kind of player we're getting beyond the statistics and accolades but there are no recent videos of him on Youtube. So naturally I tried to find the most relevant game film to watch his snaps. I chose UNC because their LT is playing in the Senior Bowl now, they're in the Coastal and it was the most recent game.

First thing worth mentioning is that Temple spelled Roche for 4 full series in this game - 2 per half. If that's something they do even semi-regularly it makes his statistics much more impressive, and explains his high PFF grade. Judging by his effort he seemed somewhat disinterested in this game which makes sense considering the circumstances around his transfer - I'd wager he really values winning and playing in meaningful games. This was not a meaningful game.

His role/usage looked straight out of Baker's playbook. He was predominantly a RDE in 4-man fronts but occasionally played as a stand-up edge rusher in 3 or 4 man fronts. He also dropped into coverage a handful of times and there were a few plays where Temple stood him up as an LB of sorts to mug at the line and blitz from depth. He's capable of doing all of that but it's more style than substance as we know. Let the rushers rush.

All the talk about him has centered on his pass rush ability but it was his run defense that really stood out. 6'4" 235 is his listed size and he faced off with the aforementioned UNC LT Charlie Heck who's 6'8" 315 and earned a call up from the Shrine Bowl to the Senior Bowl. Roche won that battle quite handily imo. He has long arms and plays with excellent leverage. He's always initiating contact with his hands and he's able to control blocks without giving up ground. This enables him to shed in either direction and he made a couple tackles doing that. His effort in pursuit was missing in this game and there were a couple plays where he abandoned his assignment, but he was physical with Heck from start to finish. I think he embraced that challenge/competition and wanted to win his matchup. There was mutual respect between those guys after the whistle.

As a pass rusher he had limited opportunities but I saw glimpses of the moves that yield impressive production. His go-to move is the outside dip/rip and it's effective because he's assertive with his hands to chop the outside arm. His snap quickness is above average but not elite so he's most dangerous when he times the snap. Most college rushers only have 1 move but Roche also showed an inside counter move where again he chops the inside arm while accelerating straight to the QB. This is not a predetermined move - he's reactive to the LT oversetting too wide.

The areas where he's lacking are body control and balance. He can dip and bend around the edge reasonably well but he can't contort his body the way Rousseau can. He's tightly wound and his legs can get away from his frame so he ends up on the ground more than I'd like.

I liken him to Joe Jackson as a run defender but he's much more polished as a pass rusher, whereas 99 was an effort/cleanup guy. His consistently assertive hand use is something we haven't seen from any DL in recent years and I hope he shares his skills with the rest of the DL room. Miami is getting a mature, skilled, reliable player who can lock down his position consistently while providing multiple impact plays a game. You can't get enough guys like that.

Cant anymore detailed than that, sounds like you know what your talking about. Was wondering how you could have 13 sacks abd be graded from 4th -7th round..good **** my man I hope he brings those double digit sacks over to miami

Cant anymore detailed than that, sounds like you know what your talking about. Was wondering how you could have 13 sacks abd be graded from 4th -7th round..good **** my man I hope he brings those double digit sacks over to miami

Yeah the draft grade makes sense but doesn't take away from how good he is for Miami. He has below average size and he's not especially fast or explosive. He doesn't have great bend either. But he's solid enough in all those areas at the college level, he's very strong and physical, and he's a technician. I definitely think he can get at least a sack a game.

Advertisement
Seas has been a welcome addition. Please keep posting

I been here from day 1 lol. I just have had my ups and downs depending on my mood and what not. This is the only forum I post on so it will be tough for me to quit again. I tried a couple times recently when the porsters frustrated me and it didn't last. Twitter is so much worse than even the worst dudes on here.

Great breakdown. I watched this entire game and particularly him very closely. He’s really impressive. I agree with your points about him not being fully engaged. It seemed to me that when he wanted to get after Heck, that kid had no chance.

The fact that he played on the strong side like hill at 235 is impressive, which is the other part of this team that's going to make us better is having guys going into their 2nd full year under coach feely and crew. We should be a better and more in shape team come next year, particularly our d-linemen, if ford stays healthy, he'll be able to get his strength in his weak arm back on point. Our d-line going into their 2nd year under coach stroud should be interesting, i like that stopping the run is a major priority under simpson and now coach stroud. So if roche is still going to play on the strongside, and of course, like hill, he still has to earn his spot, this defense, if it works hard this offseason, and play for one another, they could possibly be the best defense out of the last 4 years, especially if they put that work in, we could very well have the best defensive line in the nation once again, blake baker, dont be the weak link, you got alot to work with, NO EXCUSES!

Advertisement

Well done sir. Your deserved credibility grows by the day.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with most of what you said. Took a peak at the same film last night and couldn't help but think he's more in line with Joe Jackson or Chad Thomas...strong all around EDGE players...more so than a pass rush savant, but I do expect him to be a nice 8 sack type of guy here in our scheme and be in the backfield a bunch because he does provide a bit more finesse than hustle like the latter two 'Canes.

I think he projects a bit better than Trevon Hill did here who was always more of a 5 sack type on his best day at VaTech. Him coming in and being more of a rotation player shouldn't have been as much of a shock. Roche provides a bit more upside as a pass rusher and much more defending the run but I do think he'll take a bit of a step back from a raw statistical standpoint because I think he'll just see less snaps. He'll be a very efficient player though for us, I just think we've got a lot of depth there and will come with a lot of fresh pass rushers. I can see him being a three down player here, too. Allowing us to play a bit more with Rousseau and move him around in third down situations.

The draft grade makes sense. He's not a natural bender and as a result, to the pro game, doesn't really project as a high end rush end. You've got to be able to disengage and bend around the edge at that level. Otherwise, there are a ton of guys that can do what you do and the draft grades all kind of get muddied.

This was a really solid get. Could be a low end All-ACC (2nd/3rd Team/HM) performer if everything breaks right. Still need to note the G5 to P5 jump though...thats not nothing and that dampers my expectations a bit. I'm hoping he's just a solid role player, but there's room for more here.

Last edited:
Could probably help us (and his draft grade) more to add a few pounds.

235 is pretty light for a DE.

Advertisement
Back