Quick review of TVD/Garcia at CCSt

The biggest disappointment to me is that we didn't show a passing game that will stand up once TVD and/or Garcia go against a P5 defense.

Virtually all the routes were single read; super-short routes or over the top routes. And we hit on them for a lot of big gains because our skill athletes are vastly superior to CCST's guys. But those weren't throws and routes that we're going to be able to make a living with against the rest of the ACC.

Our two new QB's need to learn to make the throws they'll need to make against P5 teams. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to work on it. Instead we opted to showcase how much better our skill athletes on offense are to CCST's high school level back seven. The game was wasted an opportunity for our new QB's to work on the throws they're goining need to be able to make going forward.
Excellent point and something I have always harped on. What you referenced above is what Lashlee loves to do. In games where we feel the opponent is outmatched we always keep it as simple and basic as possible which I can understand to a certain degree. Still like you said it is a wasted opportunity to work on route concepts and combinations that we are likely to use against ACC opponents.

I've heard it all before. Coaches especially coordinators don't like to put things on film that they don't have to etc..... In terms of the passing game we showed Saturday not standing up to UVA or other P5 opponents, I wouldn't be concerned about that. What we show Thursday in terms of the passing game will be much different from what we showed vs CCSU. Now whether or not it is successful will depend on our OL and whoever is under center. Assuming our OL can hold it down in pass protection I am very intrigued by the potential differences we may see from the passing game with TVD or Garcia at QB. This is nothing against D'erique King as he has proven to be a true cane and has earned the respect of every coach and player in that locker room. King is a warrior that I would go into battle with any day any time. That said it has been obvious that he is not the same QB he was last year and frankly I never expected for him to be as I questioned rushing him back so quickly. I must add that even at 100% King is just not an ideal fit for Lashlee's offense and was in fact a limiting factor. There were many parts of the offense that Lashlee could not run or was not comfortable running with King at QB. That isn't an insult to King it is just a fact and the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To the extreme, would be Peyton. That guy was almost a cyborg in how he dropped back each time.

Chad Henne is another robotic QB who was more average.

Ryan Mallet is the robotic guy who didn't really work out.
I think TVD is a lot more athletic than people think. Right now I think he is just trying to execute the plays as called. He released the ball quicker than Garcia (both did it well). To me he is a coaches dream. If Lashlee calls good plays TVD will execute them, I hope he actually loosens up and shows he can run, throw on the move etc.. People might be pleasantly surprised.

The loser of this competition transfers. Unfortunately
That's why I think they are not going to name a permanent starter and will try to get PT for both as much as possible. TVD to me has a substantial lead so far but I hope they both ball out.

Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

8/9 for 112 yards & 1 TD.

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.
And if you add the dropped TD pass, what happens?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back