Quick note on wr’s

Advertisement
Is it a great group? Nope, but there’s talent and different skill sets. Same with rb and te. Imo the skill guys are dramatically better.
The OL has to make a significant improvement for this to matter...

what are you hearing?

How’s the defense looking. Still nervous about the middle at DT and the safety depth after Kam, J Will and M Williams. Hopefully Balom and Jaden Harris are ready.

Advertisement
This is all im worrying about lol, if tvd and the wrs on they ****t we will have a good season there’s no doubt in my mind. Really wish we got someone proven, even that bryant kid from usc would’ve been a big addition but if dawson/kb can get these guys to produce then i feel great about this year and the future…I just have to see it first

Advertisement
I’ve heard from multiple people around UM the wr group is night and day better versus last year. More consistent and just a much better room. If you remember last year I was really down on the wr room after spring. There was many guys struggling picking up the system which was obvious as soon as the season started.

We all know this scheme will be much easier for them to make plays , get separation and better throwing windows for TVD. I’m on record saying I expect a big jump by the offense and wr improving is one of the reasons why.
That's awesome news @Cribby ! Thank you for that. I had an idea that this could be the case and I'm happy as a puppy with two peters to have you confirm it.

The dynamics and the personnel of the room are literally night and day compared to this time last year. Add the change in coaching and scheme and you have a recipe for a huge turnaround.

In my opinion for a good (9-10) win season
1.) need to stay healthy
2.) need to do much better on 3rd down
3.) control the clock in every game (keep the D fresh)
4.) our 2nd year players need to make some strides on both sides of the ball

On WR: I agree with @Cribby that X is gonna be good this year. When he was injured last year and his effort on the field - along with leadership (while playing) was missed. It will be interesting to see how the WR are. What happens with B Smith and Ray Joseph. B Smith was coming around last year. You could see glimpses when he had the ball.

The other thing I’m looking for is for the DL to step up. Taylor and rotational DT should get 70% of snaps depending on down. who I am really looking forward to watching is N Kelly. Also at LB Bissainthe should make a big step.

Please like people weren’t hyping up Frank Ladson, and people were saying how great Redding looked and how he was going to break out, and how this was brinsons year come on man

This. There were some insiders that were hyping up the WRs - no doubt; I remember it very well bc I remember thinking “huh?”

The reality is that there are some depth guys that have not really produced and you’d be naive to expect much out of them this year.

I tbink that George, X and young are a nice set but there’s not a WR1 in that group but rather there are 3 nice, complimentary guys. The ones who will move the meter are guys like Joseph and hopefully the portal guys.

I’m actually much more excited about Dawson’s offense than I was with Lashlee’s, primarily because he places a bigger emphasis on the run game and being physical at the line of scrimmage. Being able to throw the ball all over the field is great, but there’s going to be times throughout the season where you need to line up and pick up 2-3 yards on the ground. To me, that was our biggest weakness under Lashlee...we just couldn’t run the ball when we needed to.

Advertisement
This. There were some insiders that were hyping up the WRs - no doubt; I remember it very well bc I remember thinking “huh?”

The reality is that there are some depth guys that have not really produced and you’d be naive to expect much out of them this year.

I tbink that George, X and young are a nice set but there’s not a WR1 in that group but rather there are 3 nice, complimentary guys. The ones who will move the meter are guys like Joseph and hopefully the portal guys.
Agree that we don't have a true WR1 but perhaps Young takes that leap to be the alpha WR.

I do like the starting the three - Young, X, and George. The second group I'd like to see Horton and B. Smith step up. Lots of talent with these two and can see the new system plus the coaching of Beard elevate them. The sixth and seventh guy should be a combo between Harrell, Kirk, Ray Ray, and Redding.

I’m actually much more excited about Dawson’s offense than I was with Lashlee’s, primarily because he places a bigger emphasis on the run game and being physical at the line of scrimmage. Being able to throw the ball all over the field is great, but there’s going to be times throughout the season where you need to line up and pick up 2-3 yards on the ground. To me, that was our biggest weakness under Lashlee...we just couldn’t run the ball when we needed to.

Ditto

I’m also super excited to see our screen game improve. Screens were an after thought in Lashlee and Gattis offenses

Advertisement
Everything on the offense is deeper than last year Including rb. We won’t need to run Parrish into the ground again in between the tackles.

OL is still on the thin side but the top 7-8 are better / deeper. Zion being healthy changes the room as for as depth.
Yep Parrish is going to be a nice backup to Don. It's going to be a fun year!!

Oh really? Were you too busy yawning last offseason when I said the wr’s were struggling, dropping balls, having issues with the playbook and not getting separation ? How about when I said “the season could very easily go off the rails with a couple injuries ……We were paper thin”.

I can’t win, last year I had people arguing with me because i was too negative, if I post positivity I’m selling rainbows or “ I’ve heard that for years“.
Homie, you gotta learn to ignore these NPCs. This site is full of them.

Advertisement
Back