Quick Analysis: Miami vs. NC State

amanan28

New_Era
First off I just want to say how nice it is to see this team bounce back after the horrendous 4 game stretch we had and go back to winning football games. This is something we never would have seen with the previous staff. While I have given Richt a ton of criticism the one thing he does is at least keep the players head in the games as it is obvious the players have not given up on the season.

Position Group Play:

Quarterback

Brad Kaaya is still as inconsistent as they come. While alot has to do with the mediocre offensive line play in pass pro...Kaaya still seems to miss the easy wide open throws (Example of the play where Coley was WIDE open and he missed), but then turns around and gives us a money throw (Coley slant for the long gain). Not sure where the good throws come from as they are overshadowed largely by the errant ones and it is frustrating. Also, Kaaya seems to stick on his first read and not even think about look the other way...this is a huge problem and has yet to be exposed but was close to being exposed today. It was really obvious on the first play of the game, he threw it to Richards despite the tight man coverage. Overall an average performance and nothing to scream about, typical Kaaya QB play.

Running Back

Man, Mark Walton sure proved alot of us wrong with his hard running. There is no question he runs hard and can break through arm tackles..still the question becomes whether or not he can find the hole in a zone style scheme, a scheme where I think Yearby is better suited (saw little to no play today) but nonetheless a nice performance and good by him to crack the 1000 yard threshold. I have no qualms right now with the tailbacks as we know what we are getting in each one. I would like to see less Gus Edwards and more Joe Yearby. I know a lot of members on the board truly love Gus but I just don't see what he brings that is different from Walton or Yearby. In that case, I think Yearby is a better back and should be seeing more burn. Maybe I'm wrong? Someone tell me what it is the coaches are seeing and i'm not.

Everything put aside, Walton is clearly the #1 back and will continue to be..the coaching staff loves him and are really high on him. With improved blocking I do think he is a homerun back, we just don't have an Oline who can consistently create the holes he needs.

I do like the outside zone plays he was getting towards the end of the game. Maybe NC State got tired and their heads weren't in it..but the outside plays were more to Waltons forte than the inside ones where I think Yearby shines.

Wide Receiver

Ahmmon Richards is the real deal folks. Many saw it coming out of high school but I think it is safe to say he will be a force of nature the next 2 years after this one and will make money in the NFL as a WR1. Good on him for breaking the freshman WR record, we all know the talent that has come through here and that is a huge accomplishment by Richards.

Stacy Coley had a nice play where he caught a good bullet throw by Kaaya and showed his hand strength to catch it and break the tackle and run for a long gain. I am still wondering how he was caught from behind? Kid was a burner in High School...did he lose his speed after the knee injury? I take it he was gassed. Coley barely leaves the field and doesn't receive enough praise from the fans as he is out there blocking his tail off and Richards is getting all the glory.

Not much to say about the other guys as Dayall Harris looks like he can't get separation and Berrios is well just Berrios. Malcolm lewis had a nice chain moving play but nothing else.

Tight End

Njoku is going to make money as a pass catching Tight end but boy does he need help in the blocking department. I am glad to see he didn't drop the easy ones today, and it is cool seeing just how effortless the game looks to him when he catches the ball. Njoku is one of my favorite players on this team and he is becoming an extreme weapon for us. I sure do hope he stays for another year.

Herndon had some nice blocks and thats what his role has ultimately become with Njoku taking up all the passing plays. Nothing wrong with that but I think Richt fails to realize what he has at his disposal with these two in mismatches and does not use them both well enough.

Offensive Line

Not much to say besides they need work and help and they need it now. KC Mccdermot is not a tackle and has no business being on the field. One game he looks good the next he looks really bad. Gauthier had a couple of whiffs allowing for Kaaya to get smoked. Gall just looks unatheltic and fat out there, sorry for the negative term but he just does not look like a D1 player.

I hope to god these top recruits we are looking at see this and smack their lips at the opportunity to come in and start as a true frosh and be the anchors for this team until they graduate and set the precdent for the future. We need help bad.

Defensive Line

Trent Harris quietly had a good day keeping contain, getting some pressure but nothing to write home about. I am not sure what happened to the rabid Dline we saw earlier in the season but they look outmatched against the run and the pass rush in non existent. I attribute this to the lack of depth as some of these guys are out there all game. We have Duke coming up but hopefully with the rest inbetween Duke and the Bowl game the Dline can take care of the bumps and bruises and come out ready to play.

Linebackers

All three freshman are alphas out there and it is amazing to watch them develop. While they still need to get used to dropping back and covering the seams, this young group is promising and I can't wait to see the progress they make next year. Not much negative to say about them without nitpicking.

Shaq had a lot of nice plays in stuffing the run and if he wasn't there to make the tackle some of those runs could easily have broken loose for long gains or even TD's. Pinckney had some nice hits on the QB and it is fun to watch him play football.

We know this group is young, but we are in for a wild ride when these boys get those weight room days in em as I believe we have the best trio in all of College Ball next year.

Defensive Backs

Corn Elder continues to make money. I was really surprised to see just how many tackles corn had when they showed the stat at the start of the game (61 tackles). He is tied first for leading tackler and is a **** corner. Ill be damned if he doesnt go in the first. All these coaches have to do is pop in the game tape. Corn was really good in coverage today and had some nice pass breakups when playing man.

Malek Young had a nice pick in the endzone but was beat all day it seemed. The samuel kid had his number and I wonder how the game would have turned out if the NC State WR could honestly just catch the ball.

Our safeties are bad. They take bad angles, are bad in coverage and give up stupid plays. There was the 3rd and 17 where if Carter literally just stepped in front of the receiver (ball was floating) he had a pick 6. This had nothing to do with insticts or anything he just..couldnt make the play when any other safety in the country gets that. Besides the good tip drill and heads up play, this group is lacking playmakers and we need kids to come in and change that ASAP. Safeties are one of the most important positions on D because they are the safety blanket for the team..I do not feel safe with these kids in the game.

Side Notes:

- The NC State DB's were selling out hard on the comebacks and I feel if Richt added a wrinkle for Richards or Coley to do a double move its a touchdown 10/10 times. Hopefully Richt sees this in film and if it happens against Duke he can add the wrinkle mid game.

- Special teams is a disaster. We have starters out there which is uncalled for. Just shows the lack of depth we have and getting back those scholarships will help tremendously.

- It still seems we only have a couple of plays on offense Slants, Seams, Bubble Screens, HB Dive, Zone read. There is no creativity and Richt desperately needs to find it within himself to notice this. Run a jetsweep or two...it keeps the defense on their toes.

- NC State was selling out on the run so hard that Kaaya couldve kept the ball and gotten an easy 10. Don't want to say N'kosi Perry is going to be the next gamebreaker but it is obvious having someone with legs will add a new dimension to the running game as the defense will have to respect both the QB and RB.

- **** those refs and the ACC

Overall nice performance by Walton and Richards as these two were the clear standouts in today's game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Watched the game from the upper bowl on the 50 yard line and the terrible S play, J. Johnson included, was ******* terrible. **** angles, over pursuit, general lack of awareness among other issues. Soft zone scheme doesn't help but I see why we are continuing to recruit so many S's in this class.

It's been pointed out since the beginning of the season that Coley is slower this year because of the knee injury and running with a knee brace. We have one deep threat in Richards, but folks can't comprehend that Coley hasn't been the same this year. McDermott is a guard. He is playing tackle out of necessity. I take it many of you have never played on the offensive line. It's not easy to go from guard to tackle mid season. Even with his lack of athleticism at OT, the line seems to play better as a unit with this lineup than they did earlier when they had (on paper) a more talented group of linemen starting. Especially in pass pro, they are giving Kaaya 3-4 seconds, which is all you can really ask of them right now. At least on one sack today, Kaaya held the ball far too long.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Perfectly said bro!

Walton, Richards & Joku was the entire offense today... Coley had a great play& almost broke one for a TD... (Am I wrong to say Ahmmon would've scored on that play?) lol

But overall, I think the Defense was really the MVP of this game, they absolutely shut NC State down & forced turnovers in key possessions.

I still feel Jamal forced a fumble earlier in the game that would've resulted in a Elder TD & I also think that was a INT by Jenkins after Jamal tipped it back in, which would've prevented NCST from even scoring a TD at all.

I think Elder & Young both had a great game in coverage, I think Quan was alright as well...
Jamal & Rayshawn were pretty much the same as they usually are, they make some good plays & also some bad ones, you just hope eventually it averages out during the game & in this case it did.

El Jefe Diaz is the de facto Coach of this team, this Defense has absolutely carried us the whole season & has been even more stout down the stretch to finish out the season.

I can't wait till we get a true Ballhawk FS back there, we'll be able to do a lot more in coverage with our looks & this Defense could actually be one of the best in the country in the near future.

Last edited:
According to experts like [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] this team was better under Al Golden

Perfectly said bro!

Walton, Richards & Joku was the entire offense today... Coley had a great play& almost broke one for a TD... (Am I wrong to say Ahmmon would've scored in that play?) lol

But overall, I think the Defense was really the MVP of this game, they absolutely shut NC State down & forced turnovers in key possessions.

I still feel Jamal forced a fumble earlier in the game that would've resulted in a Elder TD & I also think that was a INT by Jenkins after Jamal tipped it back in, which would've prevented NCST from even scoring a TD at all.

I think Elder & Young both had a great game in coverage, I think Quan was alright as well...
Jamal & Rayshawn were pretty much the same as they usually are, they make some good plays & also some bad ones, you just hope eventually it averages out during the game & in this case it did.

El Jefe Diaz is the de facto Coach of this team, this Defense has absolutely carried us the whole season & has been even more stout down the stretch to finish out the season.

I can't wait till we get a true Ballhawk FS back there, we'll be able to do a lot more in coverage with our looks & this Defense could actually be one of the best in the country in the near future.

Yeah man, I think Richards houses it..I don't think I have ever seen a frosh WR come in and have impact he has had. People give Coley flack but he was blocking his tail off and wasn't Kaaya's primary target today, I have a lot of respect for him as a player.

You are right that the defense had some key plays that kept NC State out of the endzone, most of the plays were when NC State was in the redzone or close to it. They were driving on us all game but couldn't finish. Eventually we stepped up and got stops but it was a very passive game for my liking. The delayed blitz isn't doing it for me.

The refs ****ed us on the Jamal fumble and INT by Jenkins but its the ACC refs not much you can do lol.

I do enjoy watching the D moreso than than the O which is weird to say after the catastrophe we had on D before Diaz came in. Not enough can be said on the change has made and the culture shock for the better on D.

We need a rangy FS who can make some plays out there because a lot of the balls NC State was throwing up were up for grabs IMO and a better tandem of Safeties makes those plays.

These LB's are the cornerstone for the team and they truly are UM caliber LB's. I'm really excited for the future man..looking bright, now if we can just close on the recruiting trail!

richards is a beast how was he not rated a 5 star recruit? I think coley's legs were fatigued on that long run or didnt realize how close the defender was to him when he didnt make it in the end zone

Advertisement
Walton has always been a hard runner that's why he's so good by the goal line. Problem is he runs into traffic sometimes. But he had a **** of a day today.

The linebackers were outstanding today.

Njoku showed why he should ball in the NFL.

Richards breaks more tackles than any freshman WR I can remember. If he continues to get stronger he's going to be impossible to deal with.

I feel pretty confident that Coley let up and that's why he was caught. Looked pretty clear on the replay that he thought he was all alone and slow down. No way that guy runs him down if he's going full speed, but he was not.

Advertisement
I agree with most of this, but we need to ease up on the Perry narrative. He may well be our next great, but it at least 2yrs away. Jaquan Johnson will be a great safety for us once he gets to concentrate on playing safety and not the hybrid S/LB role he has played this year.

Go Canes!

I agree with most of this, but we need to ease up on the Perry narrative. He may well be our next great, but it at least 2yrs away. Jaquan Johnson will be a great safety for us once he gets to concentrate on playing safety and not the hybrid S/LB role he has played this year.

Go Canes!

Yeah not crowning anyone yet, just saying a QB with legs changes the offense. Having two keys instead of one changes the way the defense approaches the run more than people think.

Advertisement

Go Canes!

Yeah not crowning anyone yet, just saying a QB with legs changes the offense. Having two keys instead of one changes the way the defense approaches the run more than people think.

I hear ya. Thanks for the breakdown. Like I said I agree with most. I also like the way Richt has kept the team focused.

Go Canes!

Need a QB that can read defenses pre snap and one that can get past his 1st WR.

Look I know I'm a homer but, the refs are horrid. No review of the fumble, scoop n score. At least 3 targeting calls that weren't made. I could go on and on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another below average game from Kaaya...OL average...everyone else was solid. Props to Richt and Diaz!

Advertisement
Back