Questionable Characters of SFL HS Football Resume Check

Advertisement
The HC I worked under for 4 years is friends with Charlie Partridge and also knows Gatewood. He's now a college coach and his main recruiting ground is South FLA. I've never heard anything about Gatewood being a handler or a slimeball. And I think most of yall know I would definitely put a slimeball on front street if I had the chance but I've never heard anything negative about him.

I think people have a hard time facing the fact that we lost a prospect fair and square so they start assuming there was some shady business.

Gatewood and Partridge know each other and that's about as "shady" as it gets. Was Gatewood pushing Collins to Arky? Maybe so, but that happens all the time in high school recruiting, particularly when the Head Coach is old friends with the college recruiter.

but that is also an issue. It is not your job to push a kid to a school. My QB signed with my college but I never once said anything good or bad about that school because I never wanted him or any to feel like I was pushing him there. Truthfully some of his other options were a better choice, but it's not my decision.

Agree.

Pete is taking meticulous notes. The vetting process is taking place now for his next half dozen interviews.

The HC I worked under for 4 years is friends with Charlie Partridge and also knows Gatewood. He's now a college coach and his main recruiting ground is South FLA. I've never heard anything about Gatewood being a handler or a slimeball. And I think most of yall know I would definitely put a slimeball on front street if I had the chance but I've never heard anything negative about him.

I think people have a hard time facing the fact that we lost a prospect fair and square so they start assuming there was some shady business.

Gatewood and Partridge know each other and that's about as "shady" as it gets. Was Gatewood pushing Collins to Arky? Maybe so, but that happens all the time in high school recruiting, particularly when the Head Coach is old friends with the college recruiter.

Agreed. Gatewood and Luke shouldn't be lumped in with those accused of gaining personally ($) off of the recruitment process. My goal with this thread was just to get the actual backgrounds on some of the guys that have been in our crosshairs on here as being occasionally (or repeatedly) anti-UM.

Luke by all accounts does sacrifice a lot of time and money to help these kids and the community. I think our issue with him has always been his actual loyalty to UM as that often seems to take a public backseat to his own perceived self importance. I still highly doubt he's qualified to corch hs football but that is what it is.

Real HS coaches like Gatewood and Icee shouldn't be lumped in with handlers, bagmen and that entire game. These guys almost always are playing a different game where their payoff is either a stroke to their ego, a college job down the line or just a favor to their pals at another school. They're not above criticism in that these things sometimes take precedence over what is actually the best interest of the actual kid but I haven't ever heard of any real evidence of a coach doing the greaseball things that some of these handlers are accused of. Maybe hs basketball is a different story though.

Agreed. Gatewood and Luke shouldn't be lumped in with those accused of gaining personally ($) off of the recruitment process. My goal with this thread was just to get the actual backgrounds on some of the guys that have been in our crosshairs on here as being occasionally (or repeatedly) anti-UM.

Luke by all accounts does sacrifice a lot of time and money to help these kids and the community. I think our issue with him has always been his actual loyalty to UM as that often seems to take a public backseat to his own perceived self importance. I still highly doubt he's qualified to corch hs football but that is what it is.

Real HS coaches like Gatewood and Icee shouldn't be lumped in with handlers, bagmen and that entire game. These guys almost always are playing a different game where their payoff is either a stroke to their ego, a college job down the line or just a favor to their pals at another school. They're not above criticism in that these things sometimes take precedence over what is actually the best interest of the actual kid but I haven't ever heard of any real evidence of a coach doing the greaseball things that some of these handlers are accused of. Maybe hs basketball is a different story though.

I don't think there is any real requirement to be a HS football coach. At my HS the DLine coach was a beer delivery guy. And at BTW they have Torian Bean. Who has 2 felonies and counting.

Advertisement
Requirements? Pfffft.

They let ME coach in this county, that should answer your question right there.

This is sad. When I was in HS in Dade years ago, all the coaches were faculty members. Either P.E. or some other class. They were employees of and accountable to the school system.

This is sad. When I was in HS in Dade years ago, all the coaches were faculty members. Either P.E. or some other class. They were employees of and accountable to the school system.

Same here. All my coachesin high school were faculty. That's the way it SHOULD be but unfortunately it's no longer like that.

I'm sure it's still like that in other areas though. (i.e. Texas and Georgia)

I don't think there is any real requirement to be a HS football coach. At my HS the DLine coach was a beer delivery guy. And at BTW they have Torian Bean. Who has 2 felonies and counting.

That's a shame. The only Jon Drummond in the same age range as our Genron in Dade County to be charged with anything was a weak battery charge. And that was a nolle pros misdemeanor. Dude can't even commit a real crime- if that's him. Or LSU paid someone off for him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back