Question on Dabo

Are you implying that we don't give coaches time, OP?

Shannon got 4 years and He couldn't even field a team to beat USF.

Golden got 4 1/2 years and got drubbed by Clemson 59-0 in His grand finale.

Richt got 3 years and refused to concede that His early 90's O wasn't it.

"Time"...LOL.

Manny is into two games of his tenure where he lost both games by a combined score of 7pts and fans already calling for his head.

Advertisement
Serious question how long did it take dabo to turn around clemson ?
Also if Dabo coached at miami do you think us fans would of ran him off n got him fired before he turned it around ?

Good question but I'd argue that Dabo would of turned Miami around faster than it took him to turn Clemson into a power. Like others have said Dabo was known as a strong recruiter long before he became head coach something Manny was not.

It was amazing how a kid from fort Myers absolutely fell in love with Clemson after the team barely going 500 for two years. He loved them so much that he didn’t even bother taking phone calls from the in state schools. It’s amazing the following Clemson had down here back 2010
Before Dabo, they even got CJ Spiller. There's been some allure for Clemson that's allowed them to cherry pick Fla guys.

Serious question how long did it take dabo to turn around clemson ?
Also if Dabo coached at miami do you think us fans would of ran him off n got him fired before he turned it around

He pulled in major recruits before winning. He also did not have National Title expectations from the fans. None of that is the case with what you see now. Our fans need to stop expecting title six and appreciate 10 win div title years as they come.

Advertisement
Clemson pays recruits, does steroids, and spends millions of dollars on top notch coordinators and assistants.

Miami does none of those things. This is a 3rd world program.
Dabo doesn't have the bag game some people make him out to have. See Nick, Kirby, Lincoln and others way before Dabo is mentioned.

Steroids, yep, I'm pretty sure we've got guys taking them too. 100% with you on their willingness and ability to compensate their top assistants.

You know **** well that's a rhetorical question. There's no way in **** Miami fans would sit still for 2 years, let alone 3 or 5 or whatever it was. You could see how close they were when they got stomped out by WVA, but we would have tossed him right out and slapped ourselves on the back about it.
Well, that's just too bad. Whether we like it or not, Manny's not going anywhere soon.

I assume that since Manny has a defensive background, he felt he can develop a guy like Baker. But as a first time head coach himself, he's got too other stuff going on. Let's just hope he bags up and gets himself a top defensive coordinator like Dabo did.

The point is the other poster was criticizing UM for NOT doing those things (steroids and buying recruits). But unlike some chosen schools, we CAN'T do those things. Why criticize for things that are not in our control? So my post was not just a random musing, it was responding to someone claiming we should do that. But thanks for clarifying the ridiculous reaction you had.
What is in our control to criticize?

What is in our control to criticize?
Actual things in our control. Play calling. Spending. Etc. But anyone saying we need to buy recruits, and criticizing us for not doing so, is an idiot. If we try to play that game, the program will be shut down.

Advertisement
Manny isn't Dabo but he needs time to succeed or fail

Manny is also an analyst - and he's got fire in his gut - emotion - and determination. Didn't see that in Clappy, Radar, Golden, nor Richt.

I never said this about Clappy, Radar, Golden, nor Sleepy - as I thought all those hires positively sucked -

but I think Manny is our guy and will get things sorted out - with some bumps in the road - maybe some post season changes - and working our way through several struggles -

and best of all - when he does succeed - I don't see Manny bolting for a few more dollars elsewhere - certainly not after putting in the work to get UM back at the top tier.

Actual things in our control. Play calling. Spending. Etc. But anyone saying we need to buy recruits, and criticizing us for not doing so, is an idiot. If we try to play that game, the program will be shut down.
Shut down like SMU? I don't think so, NCAA admitted they made a mistake. But I'm sure they would push for the maximum pentalties.

Miami could get into the bag game, if they wanted to, but there is no commitment to winning from the administration.

Recruiting is the main thing that turned it round for Dabo.

Specifically he's been getting MUCH better talent than Miami at:

QB's - Tahj Boyd, DeShaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence
WR's - DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant - he got these guys in his first 3 recruiting classes

Recruiting is the main thing that turned it round for Dabo.

Specifically he's been getting MUCH better talent than Miami at:

QB's - Tahj Boyd, DeShaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence
WR's - DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant - he got these guys in his first 3 recruiting classes

And they got the #1 QB for next year's class DJ Uiagalelei.

Advertisement
Dabo class rankings:
2009-36th
2010-27th
2011-10th-Watkins class
2012-20th
2013-15th
2014-16th-Watson’s class
2015-9th-Wilkens, Ferrell, Bryant DL class
2016-11th-Dexter Lawrence
2017-16th
2018-7th-Trevor Lawrence

Ye$ $omehow locked him up. I wonder why $ammy Watkin$ wa$ $o intere$ted in Clem$on after a 6-7 $ea$on.
Preach!! People keep talking that crap about kids not wanting come at here because the product on the field. Clemson gave up 70 in a bowl game and still pulled good classes. Then they claim it's because Dabo is such a good recruiter. My ***! The started dropping this bags and the rest is history.

Advertisement
This is why we will probably never be back. Despite how terrible it been for 15 years people around here still think Jimmy Johnson's grow on trees. We need to be like the Miami Heat, stable.

To Miami coaches, stability is being the smartest guy in the room and stubbornly refusing changes.

When Dabo had bad seasons, changes were made.

When Chip Kelly went 4-8, changes were made.

Miami coaches don’t adjust and blame their players for losses.

It isn’t just their coaching staff decisions. Look at Coker, Shannon, and Golden’s recruiting strategies. You can include Richt here because even though he got better talent, he should have went after more oos linemen and had solid non elite back up plans for worst case scenarios. Too often he didn’t sign anybody when the top targets went elsewhere and it has hurt depth and development.

We not even gonna talk about strength and conditioning.

Richt would rather quit than demote his son and give up playcalling.

Fans get restless when they see obvious structural and organizational problems blamed on player execution and time.

We can see straight through that bullshyt. As awful as 2018 was, Richt could have survived it by making the most obvious changes.

If Kelly and Dabo acted like a stubborn Miami coach, Clemson and ND would have different head coaches right now.

Dabo class rankings:
2009-36th
2010-27th
2011-10th-Watkins class
2012-20th
2013-15th
2014-16th-Watson’s class
2015-9th-Wilkens, Ferrell, Bryant DL class
2016-11th-Dexter Lawrence
2017-16th
2018-7th-Trevor Lawrence
Overall, that doesn't look all that imposing. Over the same period (per 247), UM's rakings were:

2009-16th - Olivier Vernon, Ray Ray Armstrong class
2010-14th - Brandon Linder, Seantrel Henderdon
2011-33th - Philip Dorset (the year Golden was brought in)
2012-10th - Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, Erik Flowers
2013-14th - Stacey Coley, Artie Burns, Corn Elder
2014-12th - Chad Thomas, Brad Kayaa, David Njoku
2015-27th - Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh
2016-22th - Shaq Quarterman, Ahmmon Richards, Joe Jackson Dionte Mullins (the year Richt was brought in)
2017-12th - Navaugh Donaldson, N'Kosi Perry, John Garvin
2018-8th - Lorenzo Linguard, Brevin Jorden, Nesta Silvera

Overall, that doesn't look all that imposing. Over the same period (per 247), UM's rakings were:

2009-16th - Olivier Vernon, Ray Ray Armstrong class
2010-14th - Brandon Linder, Seantrel Henderdon
2011-33th - Philip Dorset (the year Golden was brought in)
2012-10th - Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, Erik Flowers
2013-14th - Stacey Coley, Artie Burns, Corn Elder
2014-12th - Chad Thomas, Brad Kayaa, David Njoku
2015-27th - Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh
2016-22th - Shaq Quarterman, Ahmmon Richards, Joe Jackson Dionte Mullins (the year Richt was brought in)
2017-12th - Navaugh Donaldson, N'Kosi Perry, John Garvin
2018-8th - Lorenzo Linguard, Brevin Jorden, Nesta Silvera

"Playmakers" are the difference as I see it. Vernon and Linder are probably the only guys who have had a major impact in the NFL

Meanwhile Clemson got:

2009 - Tahj Boyd - #31 overall player in 2009. 1st Team All-ACC twice, 2nd team once.
2010 - DeAndre Hopkins - maybe the best WR in the NFL Vic Beasley - 2 time All-American, 2015 #8 overall draft pick, 2016 1st team All-Pro
2011 - Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant

We've gotten a lot of nice players. But even when Dabo was struggling record wise, he was stocking up with much better playmakers than Miami.

Advertisement
Back