Question about recruiting

Athletics received nothing. That is my point. Donors care about UM's biotech center, Law School, Med School, Engineering. Baseball is last on the list.

The elite tradition of the team keeps the scholarships alive. We need one of us to generate $1B

Vanderbilt did not raise a billion dollars for baseball. What you keep missing is that ALL students at Vanderbilt and Stanford have access to that endowment money. You keep trying to create a baseball only scholarship, which, again, would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Advertisement
Vanderbilt did not raise a billion dollars for baseball. What you keep missing is that ALL students at Vanderbilt and Stanford have access to that endowment money. You keep trying to create a baseball only scholarship, which, again, would be a violation of NCAA rules.

I think it's pretty clear that's not what he's saying.

Vanderbilt and Rice award near universal merit, diversity and/or scholarships.

He may not have perfectly articulated his point but its clear what he meant: students don't have to pay tuition to go to those schools.

An obvious advantage.

This is so overblown.

On the rosters of the top 10 RPI teams, which consists of approximately 300 players, here is the list of kids from Dade/ Broward/ Palm Beach:

Chase Costello, a freshman at LSU who has an 8.38 ERA over 9.2 innings
Isaiah Thomas, a freshman at Vanderbilt who has batted six times
Julian Infante, a senior at Vanderbilt who is batting .203

That's it. That's the south Florida contribution to the best teams in baseball. Three players, none of which is having any impact. And only one of those is from Dade. Those teams have no need for south Florida players, and they are better than us.

The original poster is exactly right. The best teams find players from anywhere. Vanderbilt has more players from the great baseball state of Illinois than they do from south Florida.

You really are a petulant, argumentative sumbitch, aren't ya?

Why do you cut your list off at current top-10 RPI rosters? What about top 25? Why not look at the last 5 years of CWS teams?

Heck, why not include the kids from Dade/Broward/PB who signed MLB contracts in the last draft, or the last several drafts? I see an article citing 5 from Broward were drafted last year on the first day alone--do you happen to have the aggregate numbers?

Yeah, I know that it's dangerous to pursue kids who will likely sign on draft day, and I think Morris put a few too many eggs in that basket as time went on and got burned a good bit of the time.

Still., the post you quoted wasn't about whether you can field a great team from players from across the country. We all know that there are top-tier kids all over the place. And most college teams don't have crazy recruiting budgets for travel, so they generally focus on recruits in their own state or region.

The post is about the fact that we're sitting in what is likely the biggest hotbed of talent in the country and could--in a perfect world--easily field a championship roster of local kids. I think the facts bear that out...but you just can't let the **** thing go. You've gotta come up with some dumb-*** retort.

Last edited:
The NCAA cannot, under any circumstances, prevent a university from awarding a scholarship based on academics, diversity (i.e. race) or financial need. The only way they could say it was "inequitable" was if the award only benefited male athletes. Vanderbilt and Rice 100% mitigate the disadvantage that they face from the 11.7 scholarships through universal scholarships. UM is nowhere near able to do that....

Advertisement

Why do you cut your list off at current top-10 RPI rosters? What about top 25? Why not look at the last 5 years of CWS teams?

Heck, why not include the kids from Dade/Broward/PB who signed MLB contracts in the last draft, or the last several drafts? I see an article citing 5 from Broward were drafted last year on the first day alone--do you happen to have the aggregate numbers?

Yeah, I know that it's dangerous to pursue kids who will likely sign on draft day, and I think Morris put a few too many eggs in that basket as time went on and got burned a good bit of the time.

Still., the post you quoted wasn't about whether you can field a great team from players from across the country. We all know that there are top-tier kids all over the place. And most college teams don't have crazy recruiting budgets for travel, so they generally focus on recruits in their own state or region.

The post is about the fact that we're sitting in what is likely the biggest hotbed of talent in the country and could--in a perfect world--easily field a championship roster of local kids. I think the facts bear that out...but you just can't let the **** thing go. You've gotta come up with some dumb-*** retort.

Agree with all this. UF recruits almost exclusively from the state, and they recruit heavily from South Florida. I think that's been a winning formula.

For Miami, you do need to leave the area/state sometimes, especially to get those elite academic/baseball prospects, since those guys are always in short supply. But the bulk of our recruiting should always be local, and usually can be restricted to just a few high schools/travel teams

I think it's pretty clear that's not what he's saying.

He may not have perfectly articulated his point but its clear what he meant: students don't have to pay tuition to go to those schools.

An obvious advantage.

You’ve purposely and wisely not read his previous posts. He wants UM to raise money for baseball-only merit scholarships.

We’ve watched teams celebrate in Omaha for two decades now while we rely on local kids.

Advertisement
You’ve purposely and wisely not read his previous posts. He wants UM to raise money for baseball-only merit scholarships.

I've read all of his stuff on scholarships. He never meant to say baseball-only. He meant for all students and baseball players are obviously among that group.

By the way, I looked up that 2017 recruiting class in which you claimed that Mervyl Melendez was "killing it" and only 7 of the 22 players are currently on the roster.

:****:

Advertisement
Miami misses two straight postseasons and sits tied for 7th-10th in the ACC in year three?

"MERVYL MELENDEZ!!! TRACY SMITH!!!"

Miami misses two straight postseasons and sits tied for 7th-10th in the ACC in year three?

This is what you have to do when I address direct points that you made (incorrectly).

This thread had nothing to do anything that you just said.

Advertisement
By the way, I looked up that 2017 recruiting class in which you claimed that Mervyl Melendez was "killing it" and only 7 of the 22 players are currently on the roster.

:****:

Melendez is the king of recruiting kids who will never attend college. Every one of his classes at FIU is an example of how not to recruit. They get decimated by both the draft and Juco.

He's the epitome of what @Jaromir Jagr complains about, yet Jagr is delusional enough to think he's good. 1 more bad season and FIU will fire him I'm sure

How ****ed are you that this team will make the tournament? It's already hilarious how mad you get when we win. I'm honestly worried you'll hurt yourself when we get in.

It's just college baseball dude, don't let it ruin your life

How ****ed are you that this team will make the tournament? It's already hilarious how mad you get when we win. I'm honestly worried you'll hurt yourself when we get in.

It's just college baseball dude, don't let it ruin your life

"Make the tournament"??????? Good lord. You don't realize how low your own personal standards are. We are now men's basketball. "If we beat Virginia, we will be in good shape to make the tournament!!!!"

Miami baseball is getting excited about making the tournament.

Advertisement
Back