QB School - C. Tune HOU (Dawson offense)

What's your take on him saying he's 90-95% healthy? That really took me by surprise. For one, why is he out there throwing is he's not 100% healthy?

And two, it's been almost 5 months since he originally hurt the shoulder. Over 4 months since the last game (Pitt) where he got hurt again for the last time. If that thing still isn't right 4 months later, why in the absolute **** was he even thought of to be healthy enough to play last season? I was shocked to hear he's still not right, unless I'm missing something where he had a surgical procedure or something like that. He was good enough for the staff to throw him back out there 3 weeks later vs FSU but now he's still not right 4 months later? I'm confused.
I was told it was more about his arm being back to what it was pre injury. Maybe being a bit modest. There’s no pain. I’m sure there’s a mental side of it too. You know how it is when you keep re-injuring yourself?I had a hamstring injury ruin my junior year of HS, it got to the point I waited on it to twinge or pop.

Advertisement
I watched a good bit of Houston the past couple years, as I am a compulsive gambler and also enjoy hiding from my family as much as possible, so locking myself in the dungeon to waste my Saturday's away is probably my favorite pastime and the one thing I'll say about Tune is he's a much better athlete than TVD. I don't think TVD is a bad athlete, but Tune is a lot more athletic than I think people would believe without really watching him. He made a lot of plays with his legs, both running and buying time to throw, especially last year when the line at Houston was abysmal.

So that's my main concern. Not that it's a huge concern, as I agree with you, when Tune hit his back-foot, there were oftentimes many places to go with the football, and TVD is a WAY better passer than he is. So if the OL can pass protect, and I think it can, TVD should thrive in just the straight throw game, because Dawson can absolutely scheme it up. I just know at times the Houston offense got bogged down because they couldn't run a lick, and then Tune was under pressure a lot, so to mitigate that, Dawson schemed up some run game with Tune (probably not much of an option with TVD) and also Tune created a lot with his feet (probably not the strength of TVD either).

I think the best-case scenario is Dawson realizes and is confident in this line's ability to protect, and he leans more on TVD's pure throwing ability. I'm sure he will, I'm just saying I think the offense here looks pretty different than what I saw at Houston, just because of the differences in protection and skill sets of the QB. But the point we're both making remains, Tune is a pretty average passer, nowhere near as talented with his arm as TVD, and he threw 70 TDs in 2 seasons and had Top 12 years in terms of passer rating nationally both of the last 2 years. Monster numbers. TVD should be able to replicate that nicely. Now if we could just get Tank Dell down here to catch some of these balls......

Not to jump ahead a year, but if Dawson can generate Tune's stats with Tune, a relatively inaccurate passer who misses a lot of open throws, I'm starting to salivate over what Jacurri might be able to do here. I think Jacurri, who has been showing improvement from his true freshman year already has a better arm and upside as a passer than Tune, especially with a year of Dawson's coaching, and he's certainly a much more dynamic athlete. His ceiling in this offense could be inline with some of the best pass/run athletes that have come through CFB and into the NFL in the last decade. I am not naming names to jinx this. Just something to salivate marinate on.

Last edited:
Not to jump ahead a year, but if Dawson can generate Tune's stats with Tune, a relatively inaccurate passer who misses a lot of open throws, I'm starting to salivate over what Jacurri might be able to do here. I think Jacurri, who has being showing improvement from his true freshman year already has a better arm and upside as a passer than Tune, especially with a year of Dawson's coaching, and he's certainly a much more dynamic athlete. His ceiling in this offense could be inline with some of the best pass/run athletes that have come through CFB and into the NFL in the last decade. I am not naming names to jinx this. Just something to salivate marinate on.
Now you see why I told people to slow down on the JB hype after GT. I was arguing with people saying “ throw him in there and hand it over to him going forward“.

He’s super talented but VERY raw. He needed plenty of coaching. So why throw him out there or want him to start when he wasn’t close to his best self? Let him learn for a year , keep improving and focus on a new playbook. After a year of seasoning mixed with his physical tools and this offense we might have something special. His mental and physical could be on the same page and this offense has shown to be friendly to guys with his skill sets.

Now you see why I told people to slow down on the JB hype after GT. I was arguing with people saying “ throw him in there and hand it over to him going forward“.

He’s super talented but VERY raw. He needed plenty of coaching. So why throw him out there or want him to start when he wasn’t close to his best self? Let him learn for a year , keep improving and focus on a new playbook. After a year of seasoning mixed with his physical tools and this offense we might have something special. His mental and physical could be on the same page and this offense has shown to be friendly to guys with his skill sets.

He was ALWAYS a guy who even most causal recruiting fan understood would need a couple of years, min. We all just got desperate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He was ALWAYS a guy who even most causal recruiting fans understood would need a couple of years, min. We all just got desperate.
The GT game thread was insane lol. I’m like you guys are so desperate for anything you’re ok throwing this kid to the wolves for nothing. Then will be the first ones to call him trash or a bum when he fails.

I watched a good bit of Houston the past couple years, as I am a compulsive gambler and also enjoy hiding from my family as much as possible, so locking myself in the dungeon to waste my Saturday's away is probably my favorite pastime and the one thing I'll say about Tune is he's a much better athlete than TVD. I don't think TVD is a bad athlete, but Tune is a lot more athletic than I think people would believe without really watching him. He made a lot of plays with his legs, both running and buying time to throw, especially last year when the line at Houston was abysmal.

So that's my main concern. Not that it's a huge concern, as I agree with you, when Tune hit his back-foot, there were oftentimes many places to go with the football, and TVD is a WAY better passer than he is. So if the OL can pass protect, and I think it can, TVD should thrive in just the straight throw game, because Dawson can absolutely scheme it up. I just know at times the Houston offense got bogged down because they couldn't run a lick, and then Tune was under pressure a lot, so to mitigate that, Dawson schemed up some run game with Tune (probably not much of an option with TVD) and also Tune created a lot with his feet (probably not the strength of TVD either).

I think the best-case scenario is Dawson realizes and is confident in this line's ability to protect, and he leans more on TVD's pure throwing ability. I'm sure he will, I'm just saying I think the offense here looks pretty different than what I saw at Houston, just because of the differences in protection and skill sets of the QB. But the point we're both making remains, Tune is a pretty average passer, nowhere near as talented with his arm as TVD, and he threw 70 TDs in 2 seasons and had Top 12 years in terms of passer rating nationally both of the last 2 years. Monster numbers. TVD should be able to replicate that nicely. Now if we could just get Tank Dell down here to catch some of these balls......

I watched some UH/Tune games as well - admittedly probably not as much as you, but one thing I saw was when Dawson schemed up a QB run there was a TON of misdirection to keep Tune's running lanes open. I have no doubt he's a more gifted athlete than TVD (though I think we sell TVD short a bit in that regard) but on a lot of the big runs I saw Tune make there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him. He wasn't exactly Lamar Jackson-ing out there.

The GT game thread was insane lol. I’m like you guys are so desperate for anything you’re ok throwing this kid to the wolves for nothing. Then will be the first ones to call him trash or a bum when he fails.

CIS gotta CIS, ya know.......lol

It was nice to see Dawson flat out say TVD is the guy in his interview. Especially when he really wouldn’t discuss other guys. Have to have that kind of conviction in your QB for a trusting relationship. I know the team and the fans already know TVD is the dude but optics wise just nice to hear from the OC early on, no bull**** or pitter patter ‘ya this is the guy’.

Just seems like a ball coach not overthinking things or trying to be cute.
I look forward to TVD having a monster season, and to all of the people that called for him to transfer last season to eat some crow with mojones a la carte.

TVD did things the previous season in only a few games that no other ACC QB had ever accomplished. Yet, all of a sudden according to many on this board he “sucked.” Ain’t it funny how under Lashlee he lit defenses up, but under Gattis he and the entire offense sucked. Hmm…I wonder why?

If Mario doesn’t interfere, and our OL performs like they should, I expect TVD to obliterate the UM record books this season.

Advertisement
TVD should thrive in this Offense, from a passing concept standpoint there will be similarities to what he did with Lash.

Going forward, assuming Dawson is here next year, the Portal should have some intriguing QB’s to shop for at the end of the season & given the system we’ll be running, they’ll be plenty of Plug & Play guys that can fit in this Offense.

You know how it is when you keep re-injuring yourself?I had a hamstring injury ruin my junior year of HS, it got to the point I waited on it to twinge or pop.
You kept blowing that hammy from taking all those Central FL girls to pound town before you limbered up. No sense putting on a charade brother. We all been there.

TVD should thrive in this Offense, from a passing concept standpoint there will be similarities to what he did with Lash.

Going forward, assuming Dawson is here next year, the Portal should have some intriguing QB’s to shop for at the end of the season & given the system we’ll be running, they’ll be plenty of Plug & Play guys that can fit in this Offense.
He’ll also be able to audible and slide protections 😮 . Crazy stuff

Clayton Tune (#827 overall player in his class, 3-star QB ranked 35th overall) in 13 games vs FBS competition last year:

67.3% completions, 4074 yards, 8.2 YPA, 40 TDs, 10 INTs, 12th best rating in the country.

Dude was 3rd in the country in TD passes, behind scrubs named Caleb Williams and CJ Stroud (and Williams played 1 more game).

And in case you're still not impressed, in 2021, Tune had the 11th best passer rating in America and had a higher YPA and completion %.

Are you insinuating that offensive coordinators are allowed to make playing the QB position as easy as possible and set their QBs up to succeed beyond their physical limitations?

A novel hypothesis...

Advertisement
The amount of easy throws that guy missed is mind blowing. I rewatched a handful of games and there was no such thing as a layup with that guy. Majority of his throws had easy throwing lanes , open wr‘s or were just simple completions. Which is why I changed my opinion on Dawson. But what he did there was more props to the scheme and coaching. Tvd is light years better as a talent and thrower. Tune was the definition of a system qb.
I’ll take a system offense all day over the **** we have endured the last 2 decades with erratic qb play. I think we need to as a program. Get a very good OC who can turn talented QBs into college studs with his system. Will help recruiting with all skill positions knowing no matter whose throwing they will eat.

I think the stigma of the "system QB" is starting to die out, especially as the NFL adopts more and more college systems.
“System QB” used to be a negative stigma because those systems turned mediocre talent into monster production but those guys eventually got exposed as mediocre talent when they hit the league. Today it’s not just the teams with mediocre talent employing those “systems”. The top talent in the country is playing that style now. Even the NFL is going that direction. If it works with bad players, imagine how good it could work with great players?

Advertisement
Sounds like yall believe in Dawson, Houston fans were basically all happy he left. Dawson said they lost the starting RB and the backup plus poor OL. Have to wonder. He adjusted. But ima wait and see, especially what kinda running game they design. That offense at WVU was sick and ran the ball alot. Might see more of that than a Texas Tech type scheme

“System QB” used to be a negative stigma because those systems turned mediocre talent into monster production but those guys eventually got exposed as mediocre talent when they hit the league. Today it’s not just the teams with mediocre talent employing those “systems”. The top talent in the country is playing that style now. Even the NFL is going that direction. If it works with bad players, imagine how good it could work with great players?
We are LAST to the party.. Some were saying we should of BEEN doing this, how much talent we lost trying to be NFLU while even the NFL adopted college spread concepts.. INSANE

Sounds like yall believe in Dawson, Houston fans were basically all happy he left. Dawson said they lost the starting RB and the backup plus poor OL. Have to wonder. He adjusted. But ima wait and see, especially what kinda running game they design. That offense at WVU was sick and ran the ball alot. Might see more of that than a Texas Tech type scheme
No they’re not. There was one dude on a UH message board that tried to claim that but nobody agreed with him. There’s a member here who’s in Houston and he said they’re not happy at all.

Advertisement
Back