QB School - C. Tune HOU (Dawson offense)

d--1

Sophomore
Not sure how many on here already watch J.T. O'Sullivan's channel on QBs. He does good 30 min or so breakdowns of games for QBs. I particularly like watching for rising rookie QB prospects who I might be interested in for dynasty FF.

He breaks down Clayton Tune from Houston here, and his breakdowns get into scheme, which of course was Dawson's scheme at Houston. It's more focused on Tune than the scheme, but wanted to share.

Advertisement
What I took from that is that the scheme was much more responsible to the success of those plays then the QB. A lot of unimpressive throws to guys that were schemed open. This guy has nothing on TVD outside of running ability
I really liked the thought of Jacurri in some of those SRO looks he went over, maybe as a special package this year or if Jacurri can be the full-time starter next year.

Advertisement
What I took from that is that the scheme was much more responsible to the success of those plays then the QB. A lot of unimpressive throws to guys that were schemed open. This guy has nothing on TVD outside of running ability
Clayton Tune isn’t an NFL prospect. He’s pretty average in terms of ability. Yet he was able to throw for 70 TDs and complete 68% of his passes the past two seasons under Dawson. That’s what good coaches do. They get the most out of their players even if they’re not 5 star superstars. People were trashing TVD because he looked uncomfortable in Gattis’ trash scheme like the dude forgot how to play quarterback. If he’s healthy in 2023, he’s going to obliterate the passing records at UM.

Tunes stats are mind blowing when you actually watch their games, if you didn’t know any better you’d think he’s cheeks. He missed a lot of easy throws that had huge windows. Guys were constantly schemed wide open.

Clayton Tune isn’t an NFL prospect. He’s pretty average in terms of ability. Yet he was able to throw for 70 TDs and complete 68% of his passes the past two seasons under Dawson. That’s what good coaches do. They get the most out of their players even if they’re not 5 star superstars. People were trashing TVD because he looked uncomfortable in Gattis’ trash scheme like the dude forgot how to play quarterback. If he’s healthy in 2023, he’s going to obliterate the passing records at UM.
This.

Advertisement
Dawson talked about their year in his presser yesterday - said they lost their two top RBs
Thats why they went so pass heavy , that’s normally not his M.O. He’s about balance. To his credit he used Tune more in the run, he got creative getting the rush attempts even though there wasn’t many options. Creative play calling and scheming guys open , what a novel idea……

Clayton Tune (#827 overall player in his class, 3-star QB ranked 35th overall) in 13 games vs FBS competition last year:

67.3% completions, 4074 yards, 8.2 YPA, 40 TDs, 10 INTs, 12th best rating in the country.

Dude was 3rd in the country in TD passes, behind scrubs named Caleb Williams and CJ Stroud (and Williams played 1 more game).

And in case you're still not impressed, in 2021, Tune had the 11th best passer rating in America and had a higher YPA and completion %.

Tunes stats are mind blowing when you actually watch their games, if you didn’t know any better you’d think he’s cheeks. He missed a lot of easy throws that had huge windows. Guys were constantly schemed wide open.
Its the reason some have been calling for this type of offense for decade PLUS. It makes offense easy and lights up scoreboards while rewrting record books with plug and play type players. When you actually put the scheme with elite talent its a different level but there was a reason non traditional programs were able to punch up and build with it..

Meanwhile in miami for dam near 20 years.. :k9yunip:

Advertisement
Clayton Tune (#827 overall player in his class, 3-star QB ranked 35th overall) in 13 games vs FBS competition last year:

67.3% completions, 4074 yards, 8.2 YPA, 40 TDs, 10 INTs, 12th best rating in the country.

Dude was 3rd in the country in TD passes, behind scrubs named Caleb Williams and CJ Stroud (and Williams played 1 more game).

And in case you're still not impressed, in 2021, Tune had the 11th best passer rating in America and had a higher YPA and completion %.
The amount of easy throws that guy missed is mind blowing. I rewatched a handful of games and there was no such thing as a layup with that guy. Majority of his throws had easy throwing lanes , open wr‘s or were just simple completions. Which is why I changed my opinion on Dawson. But what he did there was more props to the scheme and coaching. Tvd is light years better as a talent and thrower. Tune was the definition of a system qb.

The amount of easy throws that guy missed is mind blowing. I rewatched a handful of games and there was no such thing as a layup with that guy. Majority of his throws had easy throwing lanes , open wr‘s or were just simple completions. Which is why I changed my opinion on Dawson. But what he did there was more props to the scheme and coaching. Tvd is light years better as a talent and thrower. Tune was the definition of a system qb.
It was nice to see Dawson flat out say TVD is the guy in his interview. Especially when he really wouldn’t discuss other guys. Have to have that kind of conviction in your QB for a trusting relationship. I know the team and the fans already know TVD is the dude but optics wise just nice to hear from the OC early on, no bull**** or pitter patter ‘ya this is the guy’.

Just seems like a ball coach not overthinking things or trying to be cute.

I watched a good bit of Houston the past couple years, as I am a compulsive gambler and also enjoy hiding from my family as much as possible, so locking myself in the dungeon to waste my Saturday's away is probably my favorite pastime and the one thing I'll say about Tune is he's a much better athlete than TVD. I don't think TVD is a bad athlete, but Tune is a lot more athletic than I think people would believe without really watching him. He made a lot of plays with his legs, both running and buying time to throw, especially last year when the line at Houston was abysmal.

So that's my main concern. Not that it's a huge concern, as I agree with you, when Tune hit his back-foot, there were oftentimes many places to go with the football, and TVD is a WAY better passer than he is. So if the OL can pass protect, and I think it can, TVD should thrive in just the straight throw game, because Dawson can absolutely scheme it up. I just know at times the Houston offense got bogged down because they couldn't run a lick, and then Tune was under pressure a lot, so to mitigate that, Dawson schemed up some run game with Tune (probably not much of an option with TVD) and also Tune created a lot with his feet (probably not the strength of TVD either).

I think the best-case scenario is Dawson realizes and is confident in this line's ability to protect, and he leans more on TVD's pure throwing ability. I'm sure he will, I'm just saying I think the offense here looks pretty different than what I saw at Houston, just because of the differences in protection and skill sets of the QB. But the point we're both making remains, Tune is a pretty average passer, nowhere near as talented with his arm as TVD, and he threw 70 TDs in 2 seasons and had Top 12 years in terms of passer rating nationally both of the last 2 years. Monster numbers. TVD should be able to replicate that nicely. Now if we could just get Tank Dell down here to catch some of these balls......

Advertisement
I watched a good bit of Houston the past couple years, as I am a compulsive gambler and also enjoy hiding from my family as much as possible, so locking myself in the dungeon to waste my Saturday's away is probably my favorite pastime and the one thing I'll say about Tune is he's a much better athlete than TVD. I don't think TVD is a bad athlete, but Tune is a lot more athletic than I think people would believe without really watching him. He made a lot of plays with his legs, both running and buying time to throw, especially last year when the line at Houston was abysmal.

So that's my main concern. Not that it's a huge concern, as I agree with you, when Tune hit his back-foot, there were oftentimes many places to go with the football, and TVD is a WAY better passer than he is. So if the OL can pass protect, and I think it can, TVD should thrive in just the straight throw game, because Dawson can absolutely scheme it up. I just know at times the Houston offense got bogged down because they couldn't run a lick, and then Tune was under pressure a lot, so to mitigate that, Dawson schemed up some run game with Tune (probably not much of an option with TVD) and also Tune created a lot with his feet (probably not the strength of TVD either).

I think the best-case scenario is Dawson realizes and is confident in this line's ability to protect, and he leans more on TVD's pure throwing ability. I'm sure he will, I'm just saying I think the offense here looks pretty different than what I saw at Houston, just because of the differences in protection and skill sets of the QB. But the point we're both making remains, Tune is a pretty average passer, nowhere near as talented with his arm as TVD, and he threw 70 TDs in 2 seasons and had Top 12 years in terms of passer rating nationally both of the last 2 years. Monster numbers. TVD should be able to replicate that nicely. Now if we could just get Tank Dell down here to catch some of these balls......
No disagreement. Tune being a pretty good athlete is what made the running game go. He went from doing nothing on the ground the year prior to being the running game. What Dawson did with the offense after losing two rb’s was impressive. He evolved it on the go.

It was nice to see Dawson flat out say TVD is the guy in his interview. Especially when he really wouldn’t discuss other guys. Have to have that kind of conviction in your QB for a trusting relationship. I know the team and the fans already know TVD is the dude but optics wise just nice to hear from the OC early on, no bull**** or pitter patter ‘ya this is the guy’.

Just seems like a ball coach not overthinking things or trying to be cute.
Dawson of all people knows this guy could be his ticket to a head coaching gig. He’s the guy and anybody that steps on the practice field will tell you that within ten minutes.

Dawson of all people knows this guy could be his ticket to a head coaching gig. He’s the guy and anybody that steps on the practice field will tell you that within ten minutes.

What's your take on him saying he's 90-95% healthy? That really took me by surprise. For one, why is he out there throwing is he's not 100% healthy?

And two, it's been almost 5 months since he originally hurt the shoulder. Over 4 months since the last game (Pitt) where he got hurt again for the last time. If that thing still isn't right 4 months later, why in the absolute **** was he even thought of to be healthy enough to play last season? I was shocked to hear he's still not right, unless I'm missing something where he had a surgical procedure or something like that. He was good enough for the staff to throw him back out there 3 weeks later vs FSU but now he's still not right 4 months later? I'm confused.

One thing I gotta say about Tune, he may not get the ball to the right place but when he throws it’s usually very accurate. Not a lot of over throws of balls in the dirt at all.

Advertisement
Back