QB Decision Update (NEW YEARS DAY ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE LEAGUE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
That isn’t the point. The point is he had a qb perform well with him and was then drafted 6th overall. If they “see what he does” with QBs, he gets them drafted 6th overall.
I think the problem is that it's extremely easy to negative recruit the QB development under Mario even with Herbert being drafted highly. It's an easy conversation to be had that Mario lucked into a future first rounder and that he would be good regardless of the coach because of the success he is having in the NFL as well. Look at the QB's since then that Mario has recruited and coached. All of them have been below average.

Agree or disagree with the narrative, it is a very easy one to sell at the moment and Mario is doing himself absolutely no favors with his insistence on playing his style of football. Every great coach ever that has had sustained success has at some point had to make adjustments to their systems and philosophies to keep up with the ever changing trends of the game. Mario for one reason or the other just cannot seem to grasp this and continues to press on with his "fizical ball" mentality. Year 3 with a very manageable schedule is on the horizon and it's now or never for us as a program.

Advertisement
Contender to me is making playoffs (12 team format) & possibly winning ACC. Ward can get us 10+ wins with what we got.

KJ? We will be in some close games, and it’s a coin flip with Mario in close games. So there’s some doubt.
Good points - but I would add there’s always going to be close games with Mario, which for me make lean to someone like KJ knowing that.

KJ has a higher floor imo because his strength plays into Mario’s philosophy which is way less reliant on aggressive downfield shots which is where Ward makes his plays.

Ward has higher ceiling no doubt, but not sure we have the structure to take advantage of it fully. And I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what the ultimate holdup.

Crazy how Murphy ended up at the Duke with many top programs in search of a QB since he is considered the second coming of Jesus on here. Maybe is not THAT good?
Thing is Murphy made it clear he wants to step in and start right away. While he's got potential, no top team looking to compete and possibly get to the playoff would consider him for a starting roll.

Advertisement
I actually feel pretty confident that no one is close to our NIL for Ward. Wouldn’t surprise me if we weren’t already 1 mil ahead of next best offer before Thursdays game.

Question is what can Dawson and Mario say to prove they will alter the system/scheme to totally fit Wards style?

I think Mario is coming close to a decision point. Offer Ward an extra 500k anfter yesterdays game and some assurances that Ward will have input into offense but give firm deadline of no more than 48-72 hours.

After that move on with others on the tier 1 I mentioned a couple posts ago.

Crazy how Manny Diaz just got to Duke and secured Malik Murphy way faster than Mario got a portal QB
I do feel like Mario is not the best recruiter out of the portal. He has definitely hit on some but in comparison to his highschool recruiting he isnt anywhere close. Manny is the opposite, couldnt recruit for ****, but could work the portal like crazy, similar to Norvell

Advertisement
I actually feel pretty confident that no one is close to our NIL for Ward. Wouldn’t surprise me if we weren’t already 1 mil ahead of next best offer before Thursdays game.

Question is what can Dawson and Mario say to prove they will alter the system/scheme to totally fit Wards style?

I think Mario is coming close to a decision point. Offer Ward an extra 500k anfter yesterdays game and some assurances that Ward will have input into offense but give firm deadline of no more than 48-72 hours.

After that move on with others on the tier 1 I mentioned a couple posts ago.

I would think we have to because classes at UM add drop date is what 2nd week of January need to get some QB in fast

That isn’t the point. The point is he had a qb perform well with him and was then drafted 6th overall. If they “see what he does” with QBs, he gets them drafted 6th overall.
The point is Mario didn’t recruit Herbert.

The best pitch Mario has is a franchise quarterback he didn’t recruit four years ago. I’ll grant you Herbert played well. I defended Mario’s handling of quarterbacks based on Herbert. Other posters claimed Mario wasted Herbert, which I still think is nonsense.

Since Herbert left Oregon, what has Mario done with quarterbacks? None of his recruits at Oregon panned out, and TVD regressed and transferred out.

Advertisement
Makes sense based on will and osu. Moss looked legit though. Sends a terrible message for someone who stayed at usc as new qbs keep getting brought in and then threw for 6 tds
USC has a bad situation at quarterback. Moss looked legit that’s true, but Nelson’s transferring out and they have no back up in this recruiting class. They have to sign someone but they’re not going to get a starter like Ward or Howard, unless they want to sacrifice Moss. Which would be stupid.

Last edited:
Cam Ward is obviously coming back to improve his draft stock. How do you sell him that coming to Miami will do that?
A solid OL helps. Dawson has had success as an OC. He can spin it to say that TVD was extremely limited and point towards what his offense looked like with capable QB play.

Of course there are some things that programs like USC and OSU can use as selling points that we simply don’t have.

Miami offering a good deal more money than other schools is certainly not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back