QB Decision Update (NEW YEARS DAY ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE LEAGUE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
BJ Thomas. Did Bacharach write that?

Yes, he wrote the song for the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and BJ Thomas recorded it.

Apparently, the chance to do the song on the soundtrack was offered to Ray Stevens and Bob Dylan, who both declined.

Optics of what? Recruiting? Seriously…are y’all ok?? Ward is the #1 QB in the portal. In the country. He’s the highest player on the board for probably 20 programs.
While I mostly agree, the only thing I’ll say is I don’t think anyone would match the bag we’re offering (which includes the incentive to $hut it down after our visit)…so in that case, even a ridiculous amount of up-front money couldn’t stop him from looking around. Is that his camp being smart? Probably, but that could be spun into the whole “dude can’t be sold to play for Mario, not even with a ridiculous bag” type of narrative.

I still have hope he pulls a Cohen or Lee and commits here. Something is weird, and I’m going to assume it’ll all be ok until there is a tangible reason to doubt.

Advertisement
I seriously doubt there are only 2 options in the QB market for Mario and staff. portal is open for 3 more weeks and more qb's can enter, etc.
I “think” what he’s alluding to is if they are still taking visits and looking then we should be too. Even if it’s for optics on both sides, we should be bringing in more guys and scheduling visits, just like the players are, until someone officially declares.

This will get us at 283 even with Riley, Shavers and Elias Rudolph removed. Mincey will get us 289.

We add Hayes its 294. 289 will guarantee a top 5 class which is the most likely close

Agree with the above. Don’t count the closer out for a Stewart, Stone, Robinson or Smith.

Advertisement
@DMoney

If they are 1 and 1 did Howard also get a seafood tower appetizer and dinner at Prime 112 with a celebrity visit like Ward got?
That might not be Howard;s thing. My guess is since these were 1v1 visits each were taylored to the kid unlike this weekend where they will have a large group. So maybe Ward likes seafood and wants to get into music which why they had Rick Ross show up. Howard may be more of low key guy off the field. The benefit of having them in by themselves is you can do something like that.

The transfer portal is an employee market not an employer market. The deals are pretty much the same with every company. You pick the best company that’s right for you. If it was an employer market you would be correct.
It doesnt matter. Employer needs to bluff or whatever, but the last thing you do is not put pressure for a decision. If the deals are the same with every company, as you claim, then why does the employee need so much time to decide?

The employee needs to believe the spot he wants (presumably) is going to someone else if he doesn't act now. This is basic negotiation tactics and could very well be why the notoriously tight lipped Mario regime let the whole "first to commit between Ward and Howard gets the job" leak out.

That might not be Howard;s thing. My guess is since these were 1v1 visits each were taylored to the kid unlike this weekend where they will have a large group. So maybe Ward likes seafood and wants to get into music which why they had Rick Ross show up. Howard may be more of low key guy off the field. The benefit of having them in by themselves is you can do something like that.
Reminds of recruiting pitches from NCAA ‘13… pick the wrong thing for the recruit and you lost points lol. Just an interesting observation on my part from what you wrote.

Advertisement
It doesnt matter. Employer needs to bluff or whatever, but the last thing you do is not put pressure for a decision. If the deals are the same with every company, as you claim, then why does the employee need so much time to decide?

The employee needs to believe the spot he wants (presumably) is going to someone else if he doesn't act now. This is basic negotiation tactics and could very well be why the notoriously tight lipped Mario regime let the whole "first to commit between Ward and Howard gets the job" leak out.
Yea, there’s multiple ways to “press” for the decision.

Facts. I always laugh when fans feel one top recruit gets better treatment than another. If they’re both highly desired, the staff will customize the visit to what the recruit wants. That’s just respectful and shows they’re paying attention to ensuring cultural fit.

Optics of what? Recruiting? Seriously…are y’all ok?? Ward is the #1 QB in the portal. In the country. He’s the highest player on the board for probably 20 programs.
Optics of getting the two top transfer portal QB's on your campus and letting word get out that Ward is your #1 target (is FSU doing that with Ward and DJU?). Then having twitter run rampant with commitment speculation, only to have him leave campus without committing and immediately lock in a visit with your biggest rival.

Meanwhile, the QB the supposedly 'blew away your coaching staff' that you clearly didn't wine and dine (whether that was important to him or not), and probably is the better fit in your offense if we're being honest, may or may not be in his feelings about not being prioritized as much as Ward, and probably holds more leverage than he did 24 hours ago.

Yes, that's awful optics.

Advertisement
Our boy is going to jump from the plush white sofas of West Elm and Crate & Barrel to some interesting Restoration Hardware pieces to be featured in next year's videos.

**** stained beanbag chairs up in Tally

While I mostly agree, the only thing I’ll say is I don’t think anyone would match the bag we’re offering (which includes the incentive to $hut it down after our visit)…so in that case, even a ridiculous amount of up-front money couldn’t stop him from looking around. Is that his camp being smart? Probably, but that could be spun into the whole “dude can’t be sold to play for Mario, not even with a ridiculous bag” type of narrative.

I still have hope he pulls a Cohen or Lee and commits here. Something is weird, and I’m going to assume it’ll all be ok until there is a tangible reason to doubt.
What other reason would there be for choosing a different school besides doubt in Mario?

We're offering everything a QB could ask for:
The most money
A good to elite OL
Good RBs
Good WRs
Air raid OC as QB coach

Optics of getting the two top transfer portal QB's on your campus and letting word get out that Ward is your #1 target (is FSU doing that with Ward and DJU?). Then having twitter run rampant with commitment speculation, only to have him leave campus without committing and immediately lock in a visit with your biggest rival.

Meanwhile, the QB the supposedly 'blew away your coaching staff' that you clearly didn't wine and dine (whether that was important to him or not), and probably is the better fit in your offense if we're being honest, may or may not be in his feelings about not being prioritized as much as Ward, and probably holds more leverage than he did 24 hours ago.

Yes, that's awful optics.

Awful speculation is more like it. None of this makes any sense yet people throw this against the wall to see if it sticks. The guy knows how to close.

What other reason would there be for choosing a different school besides doubt in Mario?

We're offering everything a QB could ask for:
The most money
A good to elite OL
Good RBs
Good WRs
Air raid OC as QB coach

So why even make the trip? To up your ultimate payout is your answer I get it. But this seems pretty dumb if you’re looking to be seen by NFL operations as a franchise QB who can be trusted with the keys to the front office. If they didn’t like Mario they could have gone to any other program they wanted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back