QB David Thompson was Golden's first visit.

AllbouttheU

King Dingaling
Westminster Christian High School QB David Thompson got the first in-home visit of this recruiting season from coach Al Golden.

Golden and Jedd Fisch spent two hours at Thompson's house meeting with the commitment and his parents.

"They told me I was their first visit - I was very shocked," Thompson said. "I think it's pretty cool being the first one. It meant a lot."

Of the overall visit, Thompson said, "It was pretty awesome. It was a lot of fun. It was real relaxing. We had a nice conversation. It was a real good time with the coaches."

The five sat in the Thompson living room watching the Jets-Bills game while munching on spinach dip.

And the coaches talked about Thompson's future.

"We talked offensively about what things would be like," Thompson said. "They asked about the (baseball) draft and things like that - I know I'll be drafted somewhere, but who knows where? I'm not thinking about that at all. My sights are set on UM."

Of Golden, Thompson said, "I've always loved coach Golden. I love what he stands for, the way he coaches, and how all the players are behind him."

He added of Fisch that "Coach Fisch is awesome. He's hilarious, is one of the funniest people I know."

Thompson said the visit went as well as he hoped.

"I had a lot of fun hanging out, watching football with them," Thompson said.

Thompson is not considering any other college programs and will take his official visit to Miami the weekend of Dec. 10.

Coaches asked if Thompson would consider arriving early - he has the academics to graduate after this semester. But the family told coaches he wanted to finish out high school.

"I think we finally convinced them he's not going to come early - we would have had to work a few things out," Thompson's father, Ed, said. "He wants to finish baseball and play his high school year out."

Ed adds that "His plans are to go to college, not go pro. That's the game plan we're following. Miami is where David wants to be and go, the dream he's had since he was a kid. It's pretty awesome when the ability to fulfill a dream is staring you in the face."

Cane coaches repetitively assured the Thompsons that there would be no issues for David handling both football and baseball at Miami.

"They answered questions for us, talked about the program they were building and how the kids were starting to come along, the excitement they had for the future," Ed said. "We were sitting in the living room for two hours with them, had the sound down on the football game. It was just a friendly visit. We talked about competing for the starting jobs - they said that the best player would get the job. Of course the advantage goes to (Stephen) Morris, as it should. They said every position you have to earn it. The best guy will get the ball from a quarterback on down. They're encouraged by what they know and see about Dave. He's a real competitor. So we're going to see what happens."

Ed gave his take on the coaches: "We think the world of coach Golden," he said. "I've been so impressed with how he's handled all the difficulties this year. We talked about that, how it was a strange season from the start to the finish. We congratulated him on his new contract, are happy about that.

"And David and coach Fisch are great buddies, spent a lot of time talking. Coach Fisch has a lot of exciting things planned for David. We think these guys are great."

* Thompson finished his senior year throwing for over 2,000 yards with 20 touchdowns and five interceptions. He added 11 rushing scores for his 7-3 team.

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong but he will be a baseball recruit, if he ever plays as a football player it will be switch to a football scholarship. Seems like a win-win if he ever gets on campus.

Can never have enough QBs, we need a few good ones.

Not just a football player...that is why he's important. Guy is a top flight baseball player. This is an athletic department get, not just the football team if they get him on campus.

Advertisement
Not just a football player...that is why he's important. Guy is a top flight baseball player. This is an athletic department get, not just the football team if they get him on campus.

So basically we're recruiting for Coach Morris. :quag:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he will be a baseball recruit, if he ever plays as a football player it will be switch to a football scholarship. Seems like a win-win if he ever gets on campus.

Can never have enough QBs, we need a few good ones.

He is signing a football scholarship in February.

His sr highlight reel is pretty impressive. He has improved a lot over the past few years. Much stronger arm and better mechanics.

Advertisement
I feel like Golden should have used his first visit on someone a bit more important.

3QBs in this class. Dewey, Crow, and Thompson. I still don't get this one.

Advertisement
I feel like Golden should have used his first visit on someone a bit more important.
Trying to read into visit sequence makes no sense. AG only gets one in-home per recruit. In many cases, he's going to want to use it near the finish line, in late January, or around the kid's OV. He seems to be focusing right now on early entry possibilities, which makes sense.

Advertisement
It seems the goal of Golden meeting Thompson so early was to try and get him to be an EE, to allow the coaches to count him toward last year and save an extra ship for this year. So in that aspect it makes sense. Obviously it didn't work, but was worth the effort.

It seems the goal of Golden meeting Thompson so early was to try and get him to be an EE, to allow the coaches to count him toward last year and save an extra ship for this year. So in that aspect it makes sense. Obviously it didn't work, but was worth the effort.

If they cant get him as an EE (which it looks like they wont), do they even have to sign him? Why not let baseball sign him as he will almost certainly be helping them more than the football team at least early on and assuming he even comes to Miami considering the draft.

Advertisement
Back