QB David Thompson was Golden's first visit.

I feel like Golden should have used his first visit on someone a bit more important.
Trying to read into visit sequence makes no sense. AG only gets one in-home per recruit. In many cases, he's going to want to use it near the finish line, in late January, or around the kid's OV. He seems to be focusing right now on early entry possibilities, which makes sense.

This. Read between the lines. Golden was trying hard to get him to be an EE,which would allow the staff more room to manuver.

Advertisement
He was probably first because he probably lives closest to Golden lol, just saying. Its not a huge deal that he was first. Don't sleep on the kid though.

The above posts seem to be right on the money - AG and JF were trying to convince him to come early. Gives them more room to maneuver, plus they wouldn't have to worry about the baseball draft. Despite all of the statements Thompson and his family are making, if he gets drafted high it will be hard to leave that much cash on the table.

He won't be coming early, but it was worth a shot. Reading into it any more than that is silly.

Advertisement
It seems the goal of Golden meeting Thompson so early was to try and get him to be an EE, to allow the coaches to count him toward last year and save an extra ship for this year. So in that aspect it makes sense. Obviously it didn't work, but was worth the effort.

If they cant get him as an EE (which it looks like they wont), do they even have to sign him? Why not let baseball sign him as he will almost certainly be helping them more than the football team at least early on and assuming he even comes to Miami considering the draft.

Here's the thing: Yes, they can bring him in on a baseball ship, but because Miami recruited him as a football player, once he starts PRACTICING with the football team, his scholarship is converted to a football 'ship. NCAA Rulz. So the act of him signing a football LOI is meaningless.

Advertisement
3QBs in this class. Dewey, Crow, and Thompson. I still don't get this one.

Wow none of those guys panned out

Thanks for nothing Jedd Fisch... at least Coley brings in guys with potential...those guys were never going to see significant time at any point. Thompson was always destined for baseball, Crow is a scrub, and Dewey was overrated. Granted Dewey retired due to concussions I believe and never got to develop but KO, Kaaya, Shirrefs, Allison, and almost all of Coley's offered QBs are better than those 3 IMO.

If Coley could just call a good game, and learn the importance of converting 3rd downs, he'd be amazing. His eye for QBs is certainly top notch. His ability to take what the defense gives... not so much.
3QBs in this class. Dewey, Crow, and Thompson. I still don't get this one.

Wow none of those guys panned out

Thanks for nothing Jedd Fisch... at least Coley brings in guys with potential...those guys were never going to see significant time at any point. Thompson was always destined for baseball, Crow is a scrub, and Dewey was overrated. Granted Dewey retired due to concussions I believe and never got to develop but KO, Kaaya, Shirrefs, Allison, and almost all of Coley's offered QBs are better than those 3 IMO.

Advertisement
Back