QB Battle: Tate getting the nod is inevitable

Why are so many people just pushing for Martell to just be handed the starting job without warning it? I'm beginning to think people have ulterior motives for whatever reason. This is just sad.
After day 5 Tate might be running 3rd! Williams has come to play and Perry may have had his best day Monday! Tate has some things to clean up if he's going to keep pace.

Advertisement
All the Beta's posting on this thread going after the OP for stating his OPINION is the true trolling going on. The basis for the thread is he believes its inevitable Tate will start. I believe that as well. I believe it is inevitable. Sure there is a QB battle and its an open competition but Tate will most likely win. Why all the uproar? Stating this opinion doesn't mean we dislike the other guys or Tate is our favorite. Perry is not trustworthy yet for a guy in his third year in the program, now he is gonna get serious? Don't trust him. Williams is the wild card, don't know anything about him. Tate was brought here for a reason, to raise the level of the QB room. Seems he has done that and that's great for the team. Tate is a gamer, knows how to play don't underestimate it. For the the guys poo pooing Tate's playing time against lesser comp or mop up, he thrived. What were Perry's numbers?

Anyone who slurped Richt last year the way you did lost all credibility a long time ago.
Nah, guys like Brock and Duke have come around. Live and learn. The true colors come out after you lose. Unfortunately, Richt gave up and nobody could’ve predicted that.

Man this is easily the most annoying off season I've been through while on this board. For the people who've been here longer than I have, have you ever seen so many people talk out of there *** about something they have no information about?

Yea man. Every offseason

Advertisement
I actually meant to attract attention to the program. We do know that Perry is the least likely to do that and Tate weirdly is a bigger name than any of the three. Jarren could very well be that in the end. To me if you want to sell Miami you sell it in a Miami style because thats what makes it unique and marketable.

That's fair. I wasn't disputing your point so much as saying we've got bigger fish to fry.

This is my recipe for quarterback success in order of importance

1a. Accuracy. When you decide where to throw it, that is where it goes. Simply put inaccurate quarterbacks are ******* useless and frustrating as ****. See Malik Rosier.

1b. Decision making. Ability to read a defense, adjust a playcall. Know where you want to go with it before the ball is ever snapped and know where you are going to go with it if the defensive alignment shifts and eliminates the likelihood your first, second, or third option will be open. If Jarren wins the QB battle it will be because he develops this trait. Elite decision making at the college level is a tremendous weapon for a QB/OC.

If you do not have these two abilities you will not be a great QB. Accuracy can be quantified, decision making is less tangible and difficult to assess in younger players. Sometimes a kid has a light bulb moment and everything just falls into place.

3. Composure/Leadership. Not getting rattled and keeping the team focused even when **** appears to be going south. This is true for offense and defense. Faith in your QB lends confidence to the defense even in a game that is getting away from you. Trust is a factor in this "ability" and it often takes time for that trust to build within a team. The QB has to prove to everyone he is a gamer and can be counted on to make the plays and calls to snatch victory form the jaws of defeat. Not easy to accomplish in college due to lack of opportunities to show it.

4. Arm Strength. a trait necessary to be an elite qb in the NFL. Helps to expand the field and create more space in the defense to make plays. Helps to fit balls into tighter windows. Not a requisite for success in the College game IMO.

5. Great feet, Pocket awareness, or a great Oline. This trait or stroke of luck translates into time. Time to make throws or see the field. It is only lowest on the list because a great o line can mask this deficiency.

First off, this thread is pointless. But I did like this response enough to comment.

Based on what has been very limited display from the three QBs in the past...

1A. Accuracy
- Williams is the most accurate passer, but hasn’t shown it with bullets flying yet.
- Perry has been on the money some times when he is hot, but is not consistent.
- Martel is a little harder read, but it is conclusive that his accuracy is much better from shotgun vs under center at this point. And definitely not as natural delivering the ball as Williams or Perry.

Williams seems to have the most potential here. The other two would hope to improve as Hurts did under Enos.

1B. Decision Making
- Williams has the least to go on here, so TBD.
- Perry was self admittedly not preparing well with the playbook last year, so his experience is a negative. All signs point to an improvement this offseason.
- Martell only has limited college game experience, but was successful running the offense in mop up duty. If you count HS for anything, he obviously had big success. I would go mostly on praise from the coaching staff about his attitude and preparation.

I guess you give the nod to Martell right now, but all of them are adjusting to an unfamiliar system. [Shrug]

3. Composure/Leadership
- Williams did not show it off the field last year, but wasn’t an obvious distraction
- Perry was an obvious distraction off the field last year. He probably had/has/still needs to do some work to prove that is past him to the locker room.
- Martell this seems to be his asset. But he transferred in and playing catchup building that trust. Also not from So FL, so not building on HS outside Brevin and eventually Boldon.

Martell wins this based on Diaz/Enos comments about why they brought him in as a transfer, in my mind.

4. Arm strength
- Williams has enough to be successful here. It should not hold him back.
- Perry can sling it. Maybe has too much on the short throws.
- Martell seems to be a strange case. I don’t have any data, but it seems he has the arm starting velocity is good. Once the ball is in fight, the lack of “pretty spiral” likely creates drag lowing the end velocity.

Perry wins this one.

5. Great feet, pocket awareness, or great OL
The OL isn’t great. We all hope they are better and grow to good.
- Williams by the numbers, has the athletic ability to manage the pocket, compared to someone like Kayaa. Mostly due to lack of game time, we haven’t seen that proven.
- Perry definitely has the athletic ability, but seems to end up just taking this sack. It probably points to 1B more than anything else, maybe they improve together.
- Martell’s feet are the skill that separates him from the average starting NCAA QB. How much does it improve an Enos offense?

Martel wins with the skill here.

Overall where does that land us. Who ******* knows, trust the coaches to sort it out. My guess is Diaz goes with the guy that sets them up to win 8/24 game and rolls with that guy until someone stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I just hope we see #2 and #3 take some series late in games that are not close during the season. Oh yeah, make lots of games on this crap schedule not close.

First off, this thread is pointless. But I did like this response enough to comment.

Based on what has been very limited display from the three QBs in the past...

1A. Accuracy
- Williams is the most accurate passer, but hasn’t shown it with bullets flying yet.
- Perry has been on the money some times when he is hot, but is not consistent.
- Martel is a little harder read, but it is conclusive that his accuracy is much better from shotgun vs under center at this point. And definitely not as natural delivering the ball as Williams or Perry.

Williams seems to have the most potential here. The other two would hope to improve as Hurts did under Enos.

1B. Decision Making
- Williams has the least to go on here, so TBD.
- Perry was self admittedly not preparing well with the playbook last year, so his experience is a negative. All signs point to an improvement this offseason.
- Martell only has limited college game experience, but was successful running the offense in mop up duty. If you count HS for anything, he obviously had big success. I would go mostly on praise from the coaching staff about his attitude and preparation.

I guess you give the nod to Martell right now, but all of them are adjusting to an unfamiliar system. [Shrug]

3. Composure/Leadership
- Williams did not show it off the field last year, but wasn’t an obvious distraction
- Perry was an obvious distraction off the field last year. He probably had/has/still needs to do some work to prove that is past him to the locker room.
- Martell this seems to be his asset. But he transferred in and playing catchup building that trust. Also not from So FL, so not building on HS outside Brevin and eventually Boldon.

Martell wins this based on Diaz/Enos comments about why they brought him in as a transfer, in my mind.

4. Arm strength
- Williams has enough to be successful here. It should not hold him back.
- Perry can sling it. Maybe has too much on the short throws.
- Martell seems to be a strange case. I don’t have any data, but it seems he has the arm starting velocity is good. Once the ball is in fight, the lack of “pretty spiral” likely creates drag lowing the end velocity.

Perry wins this one.

5. Great feet, pocket awareness, or great OL
The OL isn’t great. We all hope they are better and grow to good.
- Williams by the numbers, has the athletic ability to manage the pocket, compared to someone like Kayaa. Mostly due to lack of game time, we haven’t seen that proven.
- Perry definitely has the athletic ability, but seems to end up just taking this sack. It probably points to 1B more than anything else, maybe they improve together.
- Martell’s feet are the skill that separates him from the average starting NCAA QB. How much does it improve an Enos offense?

Martel wins with the skill here.

Overall where does that land us. Who ******* knows, trust the coaches to sort it out. My guess is Diaz goes with the guy that sets them up to win 8/24 game and rolls with that guy until someone stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I just hope we see #2 and #3 take some series late in games that are not close during the season. Oh yeah, make lots of games on this crap schedule not close.

You have Martell winning 3 out of 5 here, w one to perry and one to Williams. Manny goes w majority?

You have Martell winning 3 out of 5 here, w one to perry and one to Williams. Manny goes w majority?

It all goes back to Accuracy and knowing the playbook. That was kind of my point when making the post. A lot of people are on here talking about the importance of the other three traits. Bottom line is the starter will be the guy with the best accuracy and decision making combo.

Advertisement
Im happy MannyD is instilling the notion of it’ll be one guy and roll with it. Musical chairs at QB never results in winning big without a few exceptions. We don’t have the rosterto be that exception. Only way this program returns is with a transcendental player on offense. Namely a QB. Martell has the only upside to be such due to his scrambling ability outside the pocket. Though Perry fits the offense more on paper, Martell quick game/legs on-field and consistency off field will win him the nod. #GoCanes

#MartellCartel

Anyone who slurped Richt last year the way you did lost all credibility a long time ago.

Oh boy, are you mad that coach richt took a girl you liked,or are you mad that he doesnt like you and your flaming brigade compadres. This team is mostly strong from an organizational standpoint and talent standpoint because of the leadership and direction of coach richt, if you dont respect that, you are being a moron!

All the Beta's posting on this thread going after the OP for stating his OPINION is the true trolling going on. The basis for the thread is he believes its inevitable Tate will start. I believe that as well. I believe it is inevitable. Sure there is a QB battle and its an open competition but Tate will most likely win. Why all the uproar? Stating this opinion doesn't mean we dislike the other guys or Tate is our favorite. Perry is not trustworthy yet for a guy in his third year in the program, now he is gonna get serious? Don't trust him. Williams is the wild card, don't know anything about him. Tate was brought here for a reason, to raise the level of the QB room. Seems he has done that and that's great for the team. Tate is a gamer, knows how to play don't underestimate it. For the the guys poo pooing Tate's playing time against lesser comp or mop up, he thrived. What were Perry's numbers?
Thank you 🏁🤘🏿

Advertisement
Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins built Dabo’s house.

While Sammy was a top 5 college player, Tahj wasn’t. He just threw it to Sammy and was a decent runner with a strong arm.

We have a Sammy Watkins type of talent, we just need a QB that can get them the ball.

Those few years changed Clemson into what they are now.

👀. I love our wideouts but let's see them start catching the ball first.

Based on what i've read from camps etc... williams "sounds" like the guy i'd like to win the job, that said i think Tate gets it, i get the vibe that he's a gamer, and can ball when the lights come on. we'll see in a few weeks.

Advertisement
There's building up your post count and there's building up your CIS integrity. Choose wisely!

Based on what i've read from camps etc... williams "sounds" like the guy i'd like to win the job, that said i think Tate gets it, i get the vibe that he's a gamer, and can ball when the lights come on. we'll see in a few weeks.
Heard one of the reporters say something like Jarren hasn't grown into an alpha yet. He wants everyone to like him.

I think whoever is running #2 on the QB depth chart at the start of the season just may be in the best position for the longer haul. With a new offense, coaches, and that WEAK OL, my bet is the starter is gonna struggle, regardless of who it is. The next guy up will have far less pressure and the "backing" of all the fans calling for the head of the starter.

Hope I'm wrong but that's how I see things going.

LoL, you cant be serious, how "transcendental" was he at ohigho fake! He ended up being "transferdental" tate! He's already lost a qb battle before, and its obvious he's good at scrambling, that's how he ended up here, if you want to put your eggs in the martell basket for a qb that hasnt done a damyum thing worth of note at the college level, have at it, but in the meantime never forget this:

These threads suck me in like watching a car accident. I'll take whoever gets us wins, but I have to critique the logic of this argument. Particulalry after how this board carved up Rosier last year.

How can you use losing a QB battle during a competition and not compare the competition that beat each Q out?

Kosi was beaten out after getting several starts by ultimatley a 3-3 Malik Rosier last season, who had 2 more INTs than TD passes.

Dwayne Haskins who beat out Martell, was 13-1, broke the single season passing and touchdown records for both OSU and Big Ten. He threw for 4,000-yards and 50 touchdowns, making him one of only five NCAA quarterbacks that have ever done that in the history of college football. Heisman finalist. And, oh by the way, he was drafted in the first round.

Try comparing apples and oranges its easier.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back