QB Battle: Tate getting the nod is inevitable

Based on what i've read from camps etc... williams "sounds" like the guy i'd like to win the job, that said i think Tate gets it, i get the vibe that he's a gamer, and can ball when the lights come on. we'll see in a few weeks.

man i hope these assumptions you guys are making about tate being a gamer is right. frankly, idk if any of them are a gamer as of yet (outside of kosis FSU comeback). idk if the QB of the future for Enos is even on the roster tbh

Advertisement
These threads suck me in like watching a car accident. I'll take whoever gets us wins, but I have to critique the logic of this argument. Particulalry after how this board carved up Rosier last year.

How can you use losing a QB battle during a competition and not compare the competition that beat each Q out?

Kosi was beaten out after getting several starts by ultimatley a 3-3 Malik Rosier, last season who had 2 more INTs than TD passes.

Dwayne Haskins who beat out Martell, was a 13-1, broke the single season passing and touchdown records for both OSU and Big Ten. He threw for 4,000-yards and 50 touchdowns, making him one of only five NCAA quarterbacks that have ever done that in the history of college football. And, oh by the way, he drafted in the first round.

Try comparing apples and oranges its easier.

kosi was coached by mark richt and jon richt who played musical chairs with the QB room. Kosi was also done as a starter entering the year due to a suspension from months prior (his own doing of course). lets be fair. Tate had Urban meyer who at least is a far better coach than Jon and Mark. anyways, past is the past for all of them and manny def shares that idea considering hes given all 3 a chance to start. may the best man win regardless of the past.

Advertisement
I wanted badly for Tate to win the starting position hands down. Getting harder to explain away all the underthrows, the overthrows, the "wounded ducks," the "slow through the progressions" performance we're seeing.

I wanted badly for Tate to win the starting position hands down. Getting harder to explain away all the underthrows, the overthrows, the "wounded ducks," the "slow through the progressions" performance we're seeing.
Go listen to the new podcast posted by dmoney

These threads suck me in like watching a car accident. I'll take whoever gets us wins, but I have to critique the logic of this argument. Particulalry after how this board carved up Rosier last year.

How can you use losing a QB battle during a competition and not compare the competition that beat each Q out?

Kosi was beaten out after getting several starts by ultimatley a 3-3 Malik Rosier last season, who had 2 more INTs than TD passes. I'm

Dwayne Haskins who beat out Martell, was 13-1, broke the single season passing and touchdown records for both OSU and Big Ten. He threw for 4,000-yards and 50 touchdowns, making him one of only five NCAA quarterbacks that have ever done that in the history of college football. Heisman finalist. And, oh by the way, he was drafted in the first round.

Try comparing apples and oranges its easier.

Im glad you brought that point up, did perry get beat out because of a talent problem or a leadership/off field problem. The apples and oranges statement is correct in that you compared a UM qb room in flux after brad mistakenly left, and an offense that had injuries, and new young unproven talent, going into its 3rd year, to and ohigho fake offense/qb situation that has been up and running since 2012, lol, that was a nice try, but again, rosier, with mature offensive talent around him, helped lead this team to 10wins the season prior, 1st time real on the field coastal division champs, first acc championship game, ranked as high as #2 in the nation, so in reality, and was a senior who the coaches could Trust, so of course he started. Now for the first time perry is being surrounded by a primarily dedicated oc/qb coach, which it appears to be a better situation overall, mix that in with perry being more dedicated and mature, let's see what happens. At the end of the day, transfers like tate, running from a competitive situation, he chose to go their, let's see what happens if he doesnt win the qb job here, cause with your under handed logic, since tate came from a "more competitive" qb situation, he should almost easily beat out perry, but be only battling with jarren. The beauty of it all, they all started in the same offense in the same year, coach diaz has already let it be known who's the overallmost talented qb, this is why he's talking about the other intangibles that'll go into naming/picking a starter.

Its still comical to me to read articles and write ups talking about how coach diaz is some how some genius and "understands the transfer portal" better than anybody, and how this is supposedly some new wave, lol, when the True reason and sole reason its based out of desparation because the rebuild is still happening, so its a way of pluggin leaks, but with the way we are still recruiting at a high level, and when i say "high level" im talking about having the right numbers at each position, as well as bringing in more athletic big guys, their wont be a need for the portal real soon. How many players did bama and clemson get out the portal!

And dont forget the picks, derrick smith says Thank you!

Advertisement

Go listen to the new podcast posted by dmoney

I didn't hear DMoney mention Tate's underthrows, overthrows, "wounded ducks," or the "slow through progression stuff." (or the interceptions)

He alluded to it when he said that we can't base practice off the first 15 minutes at which point he was informed that the media is allowed to watch 35 minutes now. How did he explain it?

He said that Tate had such a low baseline that he had no way to go but up. He included that he has indeed shown improvement but is not where the other two are.

Now here's where it gets tricky (according to DMoney's podcast):

Apparently, Jarren is just out of the race because of whatever happened this Summer. He should probably just transfer if this is the case, ain't that right?

In order to reaffirm that he's better than Tate, N'Kosi has to play better than Tate in scrimmages, be more consistent, and be an overall better person to win the job. Apparently since he lost out on the Summer by underwhelming Diaz and the coaching staff, he has to be 10 times better than he was in the Spring to reclaim his spot. Its funny that DMoney openly stated that it was N'Kosi's spot in the Spring now that we are in the Fall but he never said that in the Spring. Selective reporting, I guess.

And Tate simply has to show that he can maintain the work he put in during the Summer. Show these guys that its not a mirage and even if he doesn't have the best performances throughout Fall camp, you can certainly depend on him during the dog days of Summer. He'll be consistent and he'll outwork everybody.

Goalpost6.jpg

And throwing multiple picks every practice. as a qb ball security is job # 1, fck everything else.....being a gamer. Gamer...in what actual games besides a blowout of Rutgers 😂😂

Advertisement
Im glad you brought that point up, did perry get beat out because of a talent problem or a leadership/off field problem. The apples and oranges statement is correct in that you compared a UM qb room in flux after brad mistakenly left, and an offense that had injuries, and new young unproven talent, going into its 3rd year, to and ohigho fake offense/qb situation that has been up and running since 2012, lol, that was a nice try, but again, rosier, with mature offensive talent around him, helped lead this team to 10wins the season prior, 1st time real on the field coastal division champs, first acc championship game, ranked as high as #2 in the nation, so in reality, and was a senior who the coaches could Trust, so of course he started. Now for the first time perry is being surrounded by a primarily dedicated oc/qb coach, which it appears to be a better situation overall, mix that in with perry being more dedicated and mature, let's see what happens. At the end of the day, transfers like tate, running from a competitive situation, he chose to go their, let's see what happens if he doesnt win the qb job here, cause with your under handed logic, since tate came from a "more competitive" qb situation, he should almost easily beat out perry, but be only battling with jarren. The beauty of it all, they all started in the same offense in the same year, coach diaz has already let it be known who's the overallmost talented qb, this is why he's talking about the other intangibles that'll go into naming/picking a starter.

Its still comical to me to read articles and write ups talking about how coach diaz is some how some genius and "understands the transfer portal" better than anybody, and how this is supposedly some new wave, lol, when the True reason and sole reason its based out of desparation because the rebuild is still happening, so its a way of pluggin leaks, but with the way we are still recruiting at a high level, and when i say "high level" im talking about having the right numbers at each position, as well as bringing in more athletic big guys, their wont be a need for the portal real soon. How many players did bama and clemson get out the portal!

No, I'm responding to excaly what you wrote, don't put words in my mouth. I stopped reading right when you backtracked - you don't need me to argue with you, you just carry on and continuing arguing whatever it is in your mind you think I brought up.

Lets just hope we get a QB who can give us much more than we had last year.

No, I'm responding to excaly what you wrote, don't put words in my mouth. I stopped reading right when you backtracked - you don't need me to argue with you, you just carry on and continuing arguing whatever it is in your mind you think I brought up.

Lets just hope we get a QB who can give us much more than we had last year.

And i responded to exactly what you wrote, your last post conclusion didnt come out of your mouth yet so i posted the words for you, so you could understand your own brain. Now your last sentence i can go with that all day long.

Advertisement
First off, this thread is pointless. But I did like this response enough to comment.

Based on what has been very limited display from the three QBs in the past...

1A. Accuracy
- Williams is the most accurate passer, but hasn’t shown it with bullets flying yet.
- Perry has been on the money some times when he is hot, but is not consistent.
- Martel is a little harder read, but it is conclusive that his accuracy is much better from shotgun vs under center at this point. And definitely not as natural delivering the ball as Williams or Perry.

Williams seems to have the most potential here. The other two would hope to improve as Hurts did under Enos.

1B. Decision Making
- Williams has the least to go on here, so TBD.
- Perry was self admittedly not preparing well with the playbook last year, so his experience is a negative. All signs point to an improvement this offseason.
- Martell only has limited college game experience, but was successful running the offense in mop up duty. If you count HS for anything, he obviously had big success. I would go mostly on praise from the coaching staff about his attitude and preparation.

I guess you give the nod to Martell right now, but all of them are adjusting to an unfamiliar system. [Shrug]

3. Composure/Leadership
- Williams did not show it off the field last year, but wasn’t an obvious distraction
- Perry was an obvious distraction off the field last year. He probably had/has/still needs to do some work to prove that is past him to the locker room.
- Martell this seems to be his asset. But he transferred in and playing catchup building that trust. Also not from So FL, so not building on HS outside Brevin and eventually Boldon.

Martell wins this based on Diaz/Enos comments about why they brought him in as a transfer, in my mind.

4. Arm strength
- Williams has enough to be successful here. It should not hold him back.
- Perry can sling it. Maybe has too much on the short throws.
- Martell seems to be a strange case. I don’t have any data, but it seems he has the arm starting velocity is good. Once the ball is in fight, the lack of “pretty spiral” likely creates drag lowing the end velocity.

Perry wins this one.

5. Great feet, pocket awareness, or great OL
The OL isn’t great. We all hope they are better and grow to good.
- Williams by the numbers, has the athletic ability to manage the pocket, compared to someone like Kayaa. Mostly due to lack of game time, we haven’t seen that proven.
- Perry definitely has the athletic ability, but seems to end up just taking this sack. It probably points to 1B more than anything else, maybe they improve together.
- Martell’s feet are the skill that separates him from the average starting NCAA QB. How much does it improve an Enos offense?

Martel wins with the skill here.

Overall where does that land us. Who ******* knows, trust the coaches to sort it out. My guess is Diaz goes with the guy that sets them up to win 8/24 game and rolls with that guy until someone stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I just hope we see #2 and #3 take some series late in games that are not close during the season. Oh yeah, make lots of games on this crap schedule not close.

Intangibles can't be underestimated.

Advertisement
Back