Putting 4th and 17 in perspective

Anyone ever heard of 3rd and 43?

Did we make a play or did Notre Dame call a bad play?

We made a play. They're probably *****ing about the play call. Neither of which means a dang thing.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can both call the right play, but there's only one victor. That was then on this play.
Hard to understand how badly our blitzes develop, looks like we never disguise them, we have guys blitzing running into each other going through the same gaps. We don’t cover up for the blitz we drop our best pass rushers into coverage. It seems we are to exotic for our own good .

Advertisement
Anyone watching saints and Texans should be able to understand what happened to the canes. Two professional NFL teams with quality DB's allowed 10 points in less than 50 seconds.
Texans had 2 pass plays, one for 40 yards and the second for 37 yards and a TD.
The Saints then ran 3 pass plays in less than 40 seconds to score the winning FG. Just a thought and doesn't stop the psin

No comparison. Big difference between big boy throws and catches against tight man coverage vs. a weak zone blitz call offering up an easy pitch and catch in a gigantic void in the zone. The only bad defensive call was the last play where the Texans went 3-deep prevent with 6 seconds left. Normally that would be the correct call but with only 6 seconds the Saints had to get a quick throw and the Texans gave them the free yards that they wanted on a silver platter.

You just don't get it. They needed 17 yards, and when the QB has nowhere to throw it, it gives guys time to get there. We're not talking 3rd and 7, we are talking 4th and 17. Drop back in coverage and take away every angle possible. Put your three best pass rushers in there and drop everyone else.

No, I wouldn't play that D all game long, but I sure as **** would on 4th and 17 with the game on the line. I promise you, GR, Garvin, and Hill would get there if the QB needs to scan the field for an extra couple seconds. Instead, he found an open guy right away. One that wouldn't have been open if the D was playing back.

Again, there was no threat of a run, and no threat of anything underneath. He HAD to throw the ball 17 yards. If there was no one open, he eventually has to take off, get sacked, or throw a dangerous pass. This is ONLY a D I'd run on 4th and 17. Not 4th and 5. Not 3rd and 6. Not any other play all game long.

By the way, how did sending that pressure turn out?

I don't have all day.

You clearly just want to put it on the call. Fine, have at it.

Garvin and GR aren't going to get there, they had plenty of time and hadn't all game.

The blitz was there as well, but it got picked up. That happens.

The coverage would've been there, bit Bandy blew it.

The coaches said as much without saying names.

You should maybe study football more.

Inexcusable. No other "perspective" needed. UNC will be talking about that 4th and 17 for years, just like we keep replaying 4th and 32 against ND. You just can't let that happen.

Advertisement
I always wonder why we don't take a page out of the NFL's playbook and have 5 or 6 players lined up on the 1st down marker on 3/4th and long.

Absolutely. Mistakes were made. No doubt about it.

My issue is with those acting as if it means there is no hope for the team, Manny is a complete failure, we need to start all over, etc.

Do we need to see the mistakes get fixed? Do we need to see the team show overall growth over the season (but understanding that hiccups will occur with a new staff, new system, young team)? Absolutely, anything less is unacceptable.

But it hasn't been a season. It's been 2 games...and not two games that we got killed in. Two games that we literally lost by 2 plays and 7 points.
The mistakes are due to very poor coaching. So unless the coaches get better somehow or get replaced with better coaches we will likely continue down the path of very poor coaching. That is frustrating.

Anyone watching saints and Texans should be able to understand what happened to the canes. Two professional NFL teams with quality DB's allowed 10 points in less than 50 seconds.
Texans had 2 pass plays, one for 40 yards and the second for 37 yards and a TD.
The Saints then ran 3 pass plays in less than 40 seconds to score the winning FG. Just a thought and doesn't stop the psin
Did they also have 10 on the field and not call a time out?

Even if you just dropped the linebackers and all dbs in coverage they wouldn’t get that conversion on 4th and ******* 17... smfh

Apparently we werent the only ones that **** the bed in -and 17- in Week 2. Watch from 45:24

Advertisement
There seemed to be confusion. Why didn't they take a TO to make sure everybody knew what to do. That play was the game.
Absolutely the time to call a time out. Settle players down and get a look at what the play is going to be

The play was actually fine, problem was mainly that the UNC QB hit his player who found a seem where he could only make the catch. People won't like that, but sometimes the truth hurts.

The only problem was that we didn't get to the QB in time. This could happen on any play and when we do get there people cheer only seeing the QB get sacked or hurried while not understanding the play whatsoever.

To add to this, both Manny and Baker said that exact play earlier in the game resulted in a QB sack.

Except we didn't lose because of that play. They still had to go another 40 yards for us to lose (which they did). We had to miss an XP for us to lose (which we did). We had to miss 2 FGs for us to lose (which we did). We had to score 10 points on 3 goal to go situations in 1 quarter to lose (which we did). We had to manage the clock poorly in the last minute of the game for us to lose (which we did).

Enough with the 4th and 17. Yes, it hurt. Yes, we were 1 play away from winning, most likely. But we were 1 play from winning, most likely, against Florida and ran the ball 3 times for 1 yard from the 10 yard line and then missed a FG. I didn't see 15 threads on that. You guys gotta move off the 4th and 17. The staff called an aggressive blitz because they play aggressive defense. It didn't work. We ran 70+ other plays and they ran almost 60 other plays. Many of them were just as important as the 4th and 17. How bout the ball hitting Will Mallory in the mouth on the 2 point conversion? Should we start 50 threads on that?
I still want the shirt.

Absolutely the time to call a time out. Settle players down and get a look at what the play is going to be
If I recall correctly, UNC called timeout right before the play and used their last timeout. I remember because with a timeout left they probably punt but once they called timeout, we knew they were going for it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back