Putting 4th and 17 in perspective

matty1

Freshman
Anyone watching saints and Texans should be able to understand what happened to the canes. Two professional NFL teams with quality DB's allowed 10 points in less than 50 seconds.
Texans had 2 pass plays, one for 40 yards and the second for 37 yards and a TD.
The Saints then ran 3 pass plays in less than 40 seconds to score the winning FG. Just a thought and doesn't stop the psin

Advertisement
Anyone watching saints and Texans should be able to understand what happened to the canes. Two professional NFL teams with quality DB's allowed 10 points in less than 50 seconds.
Texans had 2 pass plays, one for 40 yards and the second for 37 yards and a TD.
The Saints then ran 3 pass plays in less than 40 seconds to score the winning FG. Just a thought and doesn't stop the psin
It doesn't stop the pain, but rational fans understand its part of the game. I'm encouraged by our QB play - and that gives me hope going forward. A good QB masks a lot.

Advertisement
There seemed to be confusion. Why didn't they take a TO to make sure everybody knew what to do. That play was the game.
Absolutely. Mistakes were made. No doubt about it.

My issue is with those acting as if it means there is no hope for the team, Manny is a complete failure, we need to start all over, etc.

Do we need to see the mistakes get fixed? Do we need to see the team show overall growth over the season (but understanding that hiccups will occur with a new staff, new system, young team)? Absolutely, anything less is unacceptable.

But it hasn't been a season. It's been 2 games...and not two games that we got killed in. Two games that we literally lost by 2 plays and 7 points.

Did those NFL teams call a backside delayed safety blitz on 4th and 17 with a secondary that had been exposed all game?
Exactly. No pressure, and less help where it was needed. My God, you don't need a sack on 4th and 17. You need to make sure they don't get 17 yards. I know it's easy to say after the fact, but dang, I'd have shown 7 guys coming and backed out 4, maybe 5. That delayed blitz crap was a gift to them. You need bodies to block angles down the field, and that blitzer didn't do a **** thing but come at an angle that was 100% irrelevant, AND late. Horrific decision, and a horrible sign of things to come.

Advertisement
If they'd have played umbrella you'd be crying that Manny is aggressive and why are we getting beat being someone we're not? Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.
There's a Monday morning aspect here, but there's also a fcked up play aspect as well. The blitz was stupid, but even without it, the DBs just let the dude get open 20 yds downfield. That wasn't luck, it was good play from one team and bad play from the other.

There seemed to be confusion. Why didn't they take a TO to make sure everybody knew what to do. That play was the game.

The play was actually fine, problem was mainly that the UNC QB hit his player who found a seem where he could only make the catch. People won't like that, but sometimes the truth hurts.

The only problem was that we didn't get to the QB in time. This could happen on any play and when we do get there people cheer only seeing the QB get sacked or hurried while not understanding the play whatsoever.

There's a Monday morning aspect here, but there's also a fcked up play aspect as well. The blitz was stupid, but even without it, the DBs just let the dude get open 20 yds downfield. That wasn't luck, it was good play from one team and bad play from the other.

When your DL isn't getting pressure, they hadn't for the entire game, you've gotta get pressure somehow. That is why a blitz was called, luck had it called from the right side, and had been several dozen other times. The WR was bracketed, our best corner had underneath coverage, and had help over the top, their WR found the open space, and his QB delivered. That's football, it happens, and we lose.

Yes, they made a better play than us. That's all the play was. It doesn't mean we made a bad call, we just didn't execute it fully.

Advertisement

What confusion? There was about a 5 minute break between 3rd & 4th down for the review to see if there was a fumble.

The call was made, everyone was lined up & Bandy just blew the coverage. He lost his man to man battle, IT HAPPENS.

Did those NFL teams call a backside delayed safety blitz on 4th and 17 with a secondary that had been exposed all game?
For all the hype our DL got, especially the pass rushing ends, this poorly called and executed blitz is a head scratcher

Bandy had one of the worst games I've ever seen him play, and that sucks because the kid is still a good DB.

We just can't catch a break. I hope the season gets turned around quickly, because JW is going to be nice

Advertisement
Exactly. No pressure, and less help where it was needed. My God, you don't need a sack on 4th and 17. You need to make sure they don't get 17 yards. I know it's easy to say after the fact, but dang, I'd have shown 7 guys coming and backed out 4, maybe 5. That delayed blitz crap was a gift to them. You need bodies to block angles down the field, and that blitzer didn't do a **** thing but come at an angle that was 100% irrelevant, AND late. Horrific decision, and a horrible sign of things to come.

I'm okay with blitzing there, but why delayed and why backside? Terrible call. Watching it live I was saying WTF are we doing.

For all the hype our DL got, especially the pass rushing ends, this poorly called and executed blitz is a head scratcher

See my post above on why we blitzed. We blitzed from all over in this game and they did a good job of picking them up. Heady QB, freshman be damned as he didn't play like one, also bailed them out a lot.

I'm okay with blitzing there, but why delayed and why backside? Terrible call. Watching it live I was saying WTF are we doing.
Anything that's in his face would have done something. But THAT?

When your DL isn't getting pressure, they hadn't for the entire game, you've gotta get pressure somehow. That is why a blitz was called, luck had it called from the right side, and had been several dozen other times. The WR was bracketed, our best corner had underneath coverage, and had help over the top, their WR found the open space, and his QB delivered. That's football, it happens, and we lose.

Yes, they made a better play than us. That's all the play was. It doesn't mean we made a bad call, we just didn't execute it fully.
You don't need pressure if he has nowhere to throw the ball. I have seen teams get sacks sending 3 guys, because there is nowhere to throw the ball. It's called a coverage sack.

Advertisement
Back