Putting 4th and 17 in perspective

When your DL isn't getting pressure, they hadn't for the entire game, you've gotta get pressure somehow. That is why a blitz was called, luck had it called from the right side, and had been several dozen other times. The WR was bracketed, our best corner had underneath coverage, and had help over the top, their WR found the open space, and his QB delivered. That's football, it happens, and we lose.

Except we didn't lose because of that play. They still had to go another 40 yards for us to lose (which they did). We had to miss an XP for us to lose (which we did). We had to miss 2 FGs for us to lose (which we did). We had to score 10 points on 3 goal to go situations in 1 quarter to lose (which we did). We had to manage the clock poorly in the last minute of the game for us to lose (which we did).

Enough with the 4th and 17. Yes, it hurt. Yes, we were 1 play away from winning, most likely. But we were 1 play from winning, most likely, against Florida and ran the ball 3 times for 1 yard from the 10 yard line and then missed a FG. I didn't see 15 threads on that. You guys gotta move off the 4th and 17. The staff called an aggressive blitz because they play aggressive defense. It didn't work. We ran 70+ other plays and they ran almost 60 other plays. Many of them were just as important as the 4th and 17. How bout the ball hitting Will Mallory in the mouth on the 2 point conversion? Should we start 50 threads on that?

Advertisement
I'm okay with blitzing there, but why delayed and why backside? Terrible call. Watching it live I was saying WTF are we doing.

Why delayed? Here is why, they needed a good chunk of yardage. That means they had a bit more time. UNC was identifying and picking up our blitzes all game long. So delay it in an attempt to disguise it. Hope your coverage does its job until then or someone on the DL gets free.

You don't need pressure if he has nowhere to throw the ball. I have seen teams get sacks sending 3 guys, because there is nowhere to throw the ball. It's called a coverage sack.

Had that worked all game? There's approximately 57 minutes of evidence that it didn't.

Next

There's a Monday morning aspect here, but there's also a fcked up play aspect as well. The blitz was stupid, but even without it, the DBs just let the dude get open 20 yds downfield. That wasn't luck, it was good play from one team and bad play from the other.

Manny earned his walking papers in the past with foolhardy calls like that....

Baker seems to be cut out of the same cloth..

When your DL isn't getting pressure, they hadn't for the entire game, you've gotta get pressure somehow. That is why a blitz was called, luck had it called from the right side, and had been several dozen other times. The WR was bracketed, our best corner had underneath coverage, and had help over the top, their WR found the open space, and his QB delivered. That's football, it happens, and we lose.

Yes, they made a better play than us. That's all the play was. It doesn't mean we made a bad call, we just didn't execute it fully.
The thing is, there was a very specific line to defend and we didn't do that. Having a guy 5 yds in front of and 5yds behind a receiver is failing to cover the receiver. I was comfortable betting on our front 4 given they knew it was a pass and it had to go almost 20 yds deep.

I think our call should have been better, but mostly the DBs have to play smarter than that. With double coverage, one guy has to play the actual WR instead of both of them just staying in the area. Sure the safety should stay deep, but that corner needs to be on his man.

Advertisement
The thing is, there was a very specific line to defend and we didn't do that. Having a guy 5 yds in front of and 5yds behind a receiver is failing to cover the receiver. I was comfortable betting on our front 4 given they knew it was a pass and it had to go almost 20 yds deep.

I think our call should have been better, but mostly the DBs have to play smarter than that. With double coverage, one guy has to play the actual WR instead of both of them just staying in the area. Sure the safety should stay deep, but that corner needs to be on his man.

Simply put, Bandy didn't execute.

Did those NFL teams call a backside delayed safety blitz on 4th and 17 with a secondary that had been exposed all game?

Blowing a couple coverages isn’t exactly getting exposed. Half their pass yards came on busts.

Just like uf , majority their pass yards were on busts or brake downs.

It’s a young back end with new faces at every spot. Even bandy was majority a nickel.

Even though that was a dumb call there was still a bust.

It’s not like this guys are getting beat left and right, the defensive stats even show that.

The only thing you could argue is the personnel on the field.

ZERO reason for Shaq, Pickney, or Patchen to be on the field in that spot with Hill on the bench.

We were in our base 3-2-6 and Romeo was on the bench.

Why not just go Dime (4-1-6, & rush four with a blitz if needed) with Romeo in the middle since there was zero chance at running the ball.

Advertisement
The only thing you could argue is the personnel on the field.

ZERO reason for Shaq, Pickney, or Patchen to be on the field in that spot with Hill on the bench.

We were in our base 3-2-6 and Romeo was on the bench.

Why not just go Dime (4-1-6, & rush four with a blitz if needed) with Romeo in the middle since there was zero chance at running the ball.

Agree with all of this. Hill has to be in there in these types of clear passing situations as does Rousseau (not sure if he was in there on this play).

Bandy had one of the worst games I've ever seen him play, and that sucks because the kid is still a good DB.

We just can't catch a break. I hope the season gets turned around quickly, because JW is going to be nice
True. What may be our best overall defensive player had the worst game of his career. That sucks, but it happens.

Advertisement
Yes, because we faced 4th and 17s all game long.

Next.

Moronic reply.

We weren't getting pressure whatsover with 3 or 4.

Again, the call was fine and I've explained that in detail in this thread.

You want to bury your head in the sand blaming the coaches, by all means.

Advertisement
Moronic reply.

We weren't getting pressure whatsover with 3 or 4.

Again, the call was fine and I've explained that in detail in this thread.

You want to bury your head in the sand blaming the coaches, by all means.
You just don't get it. They needed 17 yards, and when the QB has nowhere to throw it, it gives guys time to get there. We're not talking 3rd and 7, we are talking 4th and 17. Drop back in coverage and take away every angle possible. Put your three best pass rushers in there and drop everyone else.

No, I wouldn't play that D all game long, but I sure as **** would on 4th and 17 with the game on the line. I promise you, GR, Garvin, and Hill would get there if the QB needs to scan the field for an extra couple seconds. Instead, he found an open guy right away. One that wouldn't have been open if the D was playing back.

Again, there was no threat of a run, and no threat of anything underneath. He HAD to throw the ball 17 yards. If there was no one open, he eventually has to take off, get sacked, or throw a dangerous pass. This is ONLY a D I'd run on 4th and 17. Not 4th and 5. Not 3rd and 6. Not any other play all game long.

By the way, how did sending that pressure turn out?

Anyone ever heard of 3rd and 43?

Did we make a play or did Notre Dame call a bad play?

We made a play. They're probably *****ing about the play call. Neither of which means a dang thing.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can both call the right play, but there's only one victor. That was then on this play.

Advertisement
Back