Purdue contacted Art Briles for HC position

Per my Buddy in my office whose a Purdue alum and big fan.

Regardless I don't see briles taking that, but it does show that some schools are comfortable picking up the phone and inquiring about Briles.
If richt wants to appease this fan base, he should at least consider picking up the phone the moment probation ends on Friday and seeing level of interest for a Briles OC. That offense plus Diaz's defense would kill CFB

Advertisement
Make him highest paid OC, keep brown as RB coach/ CO-OC and boot Jon Richt to an intern or something

Well if he's a big fan, he would certainly know if the athletic director contacted Art Briles' agent.

Advertisement
He will never leave Texas, period.

A few years ago the Redskins tried to offer him a huge contract and he simply rejected it.

Advertisement
Things have changed for Briles. He loves coaching in college. He would leave the state of Texas now. If LSU offered he'd take it. LSU hasn't completed a pass in 4-5 years, so the fan base would love having Briles.

Purdue plays in the B1G West, so it's actually a pretty good job.

The coach who can keep the right kids in Indiana, grab a few from Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania can be successful there. Add a project from Texas and Florida for some speed, and the right guy can stay there until retirement.

Purdue doesn't have illusions of making the playoffs and being a top 5 program. IMO, they'll be good with making the B1G championships game once in a while, regular bowl games, and being top 20-25 every other year.

If I'm that AD ... I'd hire Jeff Brohm, from WKY. Drew Brees has already proven that offense can work at Purdue. And unless UK fires Stoops, I don't see Brohm getting any other calls for P5 jobs.

He will never leave Texas, period.

A few years ago the Redskins tried to offer him a huge contract and he simply rejected it.

LOL at this inferior cognitive functioning. You left out the important part that he had a $5M per year gig when he turned down overtures for other jobs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is Purdue any worse than Baylor when Briles took that job?

Yes, because they don't have the talent base that Baylor could pull from. Even when Baylor was awful, they still pulled some legit recruits, just because Texas, Texas A&M and OU can't get their hands on every single recruit in the state. Purdue is in Indiana, there's little legit talent in that area, and most of the kids worth a **** end up at Notre Dame, Ohio State or Michigan. Briles would be best served to sit and wait, Rich Rod may be out at Arizona, there may be some other jobs opening up, and he's going to get a shot. I wouldn't jump on the Purdue job, it's a top 40 job at best.

Briles should jump at LSU job if the Tigers inquire. No reason he couldn't recruit for his offense. The Briles-Saban matchups every season could be classics. Saban hates those offenses.

Assuming Texas successfully lures Herman away from Houston. Otherwise Briles might get a call from the Longhorns.

I doubt a major program would touch Briles right now, but a mid level program would be smart to jump all over him while he's in need of a job and has this thing hanging over him. Anyone who thinks he would even consider coming to Miami as an OC is delusional.

Briles should jump at LSU job if the Tigers inquire. No reason he couldn't recruit for his offense. The Briles-Saban matchups every season could be classics. Saban hates those offenses.

Assuming Texas successfully lures Herman away from Houston. Otherwise Briles might get a call from the Longhorns.

I don't see any marquee programs hiring Briles as HC right away. He'll have to do penance as OC or at a smaller program.

Most likely scenario for a return to HC would be Houston not wanting to lose all its momentum if Herman leaves.

Advertisement
Back